OT "The biggest in Buffalo in decades"

seq004

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pretty much has been discussed here. I think it's very good news for several reasons. Not everyone agrees.Waterfront

138487[/snapback]

Maybe if Buffalo started to actually produce something it could sell. things might get a little better in the region. Super stores are nothing but an economic shell game siphoning money away.

I'll be excited about this deal if it brings in significant tax revenue.

Gov. Pataki should be talking about keeping the Erie County libraries open. Or sherriff's patroling. Or fire stations operating.

I get the impression that Whacky Pataki's pals in Albany could care less.

Gov. Pataki should be talking about keeping the Erie County libraries open. Or sherriff's patroling. Or fire stations operating.

138703[/snapback]

Yeah, heaven forbid they bring benefits in line with the rest of the planet and cut some of the vast amount of unnecessary government.

Maybe if Buffalo started to actually produce something it could sell. things might get a little better in the region. Super stores are nothing but an economic shell game siphoning money away.

138687[/snapback]

I don't know about that. These stores have been very successful in terms of economic growth in other area's across the country.

I lived about 6 miles from a Bass Pro which was strategically located within 1/2 mile of an international airport. The place was ALWAYS jammed. Particularly since they offered shuttles from the airport for people who had layovers or who flew in just to visit Bass Pro.

The success will depend not so much on the store does, it will probably do well because it'll draw from all the sportsman in WNY, PA and Canada, but on how much the state gives away to get that store there. There's what they tell you and then there's the truth.

I hope it works out.

Are there any pictures anywhere of what everything is going to look like when all is said and done?  Sketches?  Anything?

138734[/snapback]

I haven't found any but I can tell you they plan on breaking ground in early 2005 and open between 2006 and 2007

The question that needs to be asked, is what are the benefits of opening a business in NY compared to somewhere else. I use to tune in to Jimmy B on the way to work and he was always talking about waterfront development. One time he had the mayor of Tampa Bay or New Orleans on his show. They talked about how cleaning up their city's water front boosted their economy. The problems we face are 1) the government would have to cut special interest funding to finance such a project. 2) you "should" give these businesses some sort of tax break or incentive to open up here. I don't see either happening in the near future.

The question that needs to be asked, is what are the benefits of opening a business in NY compared to somewhere else.  I use to tune in to Jimmy B on the way to work and he was always talking about waterfront development.  One time he had the mayor of Tampa Bay or New Orleans on his show.  They talked about how cleaning up their city's water front boosted their economy.  The problems we face are 1) the government would have to cut special interest funding to finance such a project.  2) you "should" give these businesses some sort of tax break or incentive to open up here.  I don't see either happening in the near future.

138800[/snapback]

Aw, c'mon. They let people buy clothes a couple of weeks a year and call it a tax break. That's gotta count for something.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NYS politicos and the morons who keep voting for them.

138703[/snapback]

Instead of more tax revenue, how about less government to spend the existing tax revenue?

I lived about 6 miles from a Bass Pro which was strategically located within 1/2 mile of an international airport. The place was ALWAYS jammed.  Particularly since they offered shuttles from the airport for people who had layovers or who flew in just to visit Bass Pro.

The success will depend not so much on the store does, it will probably do well because it'll draw from all the sportsman in WNY, PA and Canada, but on how much the state gives away to get that store there. There's what they tell you and then there's the truth.

I hope it works out.

138735[/snapback]

We (Md) have a Bass Pro at a local Mall - it's nice, but nothing special. I don't reject that people would fly/travel to one, but I'm skeptical and don't see anything like that happening here. And if people aren't coming to it from outside the region, then I don't see how it is anything but a net drain on local income - those est 400 salaries have to come from somewhere.

I'm not a fisherman, so I have to say I'm skeptical. It's better than nothing though. It's service sector, but no one's is going to put a manufacturing facility in the old Aud, nor should they. If they could only get a manufacturer to commit to the area. . . but then that would require a better tax climate, and that would require sanity on the part of the state, the county, and the city and that's probably not going to happen.

I'm not a fisherman, so I have to say I'm skeptical.  It's better than nothing though.  It's service sector, but no one's is going to put a manufacturing facility in the old Aud, nor should they.  If they could only get a manufacturer to commit to the area. . . but then that would require a better tax climate, and that would require sanity on the part of the state, the county, and the city and that's probably not going to happen.

138870[/snapback]

Manufacturer jobs have been gone for 20 years and they are not coming back. This is the reality of the 2100 century. Buffalo is in a budget crises which may be a real problem because they may not even have the money to plow the snow! Yes, most of Pro Bass will be retail jobs but how about the many construction jobs that will take place in the 2 to 3 years it will be being built. If you look at cities like Cleveland and Baltimore the only thing they really changed was they built up there waterfront. That changed much of their economy especially in Baltimore. Pro Bass is a good start and I hope it works but I do understand some of the pessimistic views due to the past. I think it will help but that's just IMO.

It's better than a mothballed Memorial Auditorium. Damn thing was falling apart. The asbestos from the roof was starting to fall apart. The walkway leading up to it was in a shambles. Tough to sell someone on revitalizing the downtown/waterfront when you have an impending eyesore sitting smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Baltimore did a nice job on their waterfront, but it was more than 30 years in the making. It's also a good cover for the rest of the city's ills.

Guest Anal retentive lurker

138703[/snapback]

It's "COULDN'T CARE LESS" !!!!!!

not "could care less".

If you "could care less", then you must care very much at present.

Suppose - ebly, about 95% of all English speaking Americans state this incorrectly. Why I ax?

Another thing - It's almost humorous about Buffalo getting all giddy about Bass Pro Shops. It's about equal to East Nowhere Oklahoma getting excited about Pat Sajak signing on as grand marshall in the annual corn pone parade.

One little (o.k., BIG) store for an out of town retailer isn't about to undo 40 years of decay, political stalemates, union corruption, corporate exodus, and overtaxation. And don't start with that "it's a good start" crap. It's a minor drop in a bucket that will continue leaking as long as all the previously mentioned elements remain in place.

Actually, I could care less.

Now after months of negotiations and a $66 million dollar financing deal involving federal, state, county, and city funding the deal is finally set to be signed.

Why do I have a problem with state funds being handed over to private firms with the sole intention of boosting their profit margins...? :lol:

Let's just say that they opened up a new Bass Pro in Harrisburg, PA. I don't recall Govnah Rendell attending its opening or having a press conference.

Yes, it received some publicity but nothing out of the ordinary. Local rags gave an overview of the Bass Pro company and talked about the opening of the store. I believe it is an anchor store at a Harrisburg area mall.

There's also one in Baltimore, but I wasn't even aware of it. I never read/heard/saw anything about the Bass Pro in Baltimore. I guess when a city like that, which has spent 30 or more years revitalizing its harbor area, something like Bass Pro becomes small potatoes.

One little (o.k., BIG) store for an out of town retailer isn't about to undo 40 years of decay, political stalemates, union corruption, corporate exodus, and overtaxation. And don't start with that "it's a good start" crap. It's a minor drop in a bucket that will continue leaking as long as all the previously mentioned elements remain in place.

139224[/snapback]

I think this is quite true - although overly antagonistic.