The Bills rebuild will take

Just read a great article on Marcus Easley:

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/25/1031...t-interest.html

At the bottom is news on the Bills FA signings. Pretty interesting, including this:

Joique Bell has two 2,000-yard rushing seasons, including 2,084 as a senior when he won the Harlon Hill Trophy as the best player in Division II. He finished his four-year college career with 6,728 rushing yards and 88 rushing touchdowns (29 in 2009).

Antonio Coleman went undrafted despite leading the Southeastern Conference with 10 sacks and 16.5 tackles for losses. He had 24.5 career sacks and projects as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

Are you really certain we're deficient in those three areas? Just because the draft "gurus" say those are positions of need does not make it so. And Nix seems to think we're okay there for now. As he says over and over, "We have a different opinion of our players than many of you do" Think I'll take Buddy's opinion over all the nay-sayers.

I thunk we need to find a veteran LT. I still vividly remember our QBs getting killed last year with Bell, Meredith, Chambers and Scott at the tackles.

Chambers and Scott are gone. Cornell Green, a veteran, is coming in to play RT. Bell is still a project IMO. Meredith needs to step up and push both of them. After that we drafted two rookies OTs, Wang and Calloway. Calloway is moving to guard. Wang is very raw -- no funny comments intended.

I have been a long time loyal fan. Born in 58 so I can remember the the 65 championship team. I try to be patient and positive with this team. I still think the way to build a great team is slowly and mostly by the draft.

I am concerned are things seem to be moving very slowly, sometimes not moving forward at all.

Main points --- Ralph swallows his pride and a whole lot of money when he fires Jauron. There is big talk of a new regime, top notch football people and coaches are on the way. Enter Buddy Nix, a great scout who has never run a team as "the man". Now I like Buddy a lot but he has never been the man until now. Next enter Chan Gailey who might become one of the better coaches we have had in 50+ years of existence, but still .. not an inspiring choice like a Gruden, Shananhan, or even Marty Shottenheimer.

Our needs are plenty and obvious. QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere.

Free egency - So far we have added a DE and an LB to play a new defensive scheme, the 3-4, a scheme that is going to cause an overhaul of the front 7 (thankfully). We add a mediocre RT to replecae an average RT. That is about it. I understand that pickings are slim in the free agent market and the way to build is through the draft.

The Draft:

1. We draft Spiller to replace Lynch who replaced McGahee, who replaced Henry, who replaced Antowain Smith. We have spent some premium pick on RB in the past decade.

2. We draft a NT and a DE. I like both picks and I hope the NT can play from day 1. The DE will need some seasoning and was drafted for depth.

3. A fourth round WR that is a project. We need to go back to free agency and bring in a smart veteran who knows how to get open. Hardy and Johnson are unproven. Evans is solid but has trouble getting open when doubled, and he is always doubled.

4. Finally address LT at round 5 and this guy may be a steal but he is going to take time. No immediate help here. Bell is the best we have and I am worried about that.

5. Remaining rounds are all development players, special teamers and depth players. Could be some gems but no immediate help.

So, the draft is past and for all the needs -- QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere -- What have we really addressed?

QB. No

LT. No. Wang will need a year and then maybe.

WR. No.

NT. Sort of. We have a rotation now of Kyle Williams and the rookie.

DE. We added one proven player in free agency and one rookie to the mix of Stroud and Spencer Johnson.

LB. One proven ILB in free agency and a few project rookies for the outside.

Can't help but thinking we actually regress to 4 or 5 wins this year. A lot depends on how the OL holds up and whether we have a QB on the roster afterall.

This looks like a 3 year rebuild. If we start over at QB next year then maybe more. Building slow may be the right way, I sure hope Buddy and Chan are up to the task.

I think we will be lucky if we win 4 games this year...what i'm excited about is the fact we seem to have some direction for the first time in a while. None of this 1 or 2 players away from making the playoffs and than we end up toiling away in mediocrity for several years. We're going to build this team the right way...with young, hardworking, aggressive players who love to play football. That may take some time, but in 2 or 3 years time it will be worth it. The Jets are playing for "Now", I am not sold on the Dolphins yet, and New England is New England, they're rebuilding a little bit but they are still the best team in the division. Tom Brady isn't going to player forever though.

I agree with the "at least" part...I personally think its going to take two more drafts and 4 more years. And the Fins are still rebuilding. Sure, they won the AFC east but they are not serious contenders for the Superbowl.

No? If it's not fair to say Buffalo will bottom out in 2010, you can't realistically say MIA won't compete in the AFCE. They've added two established stars in Dansby and Brandon Marshall, already have a strong OL, and get excellent coaching from Sparano. I wouldn't count them out.

The Bills rebuild will take as long as it takes. Anyone who really knows anything will tell you that building a team never ends, and that you are never set at a position no matter how much talent you think you have. Injuries, contracts, and schemes constantly threaten all the factors that lead to wins and losses.

Do you think Ralph Wilson shares this perspective? If you're not trying to win soon, you're not trying especially with this franchise. How long should fans plan on waiting?

No one's demanding this team with the SB in 2010 or 2011 (provided they have one). Problem is, 30 other NFL teams have demonstrated some degree of success since Buffalo last was in the playoffs. And BTW, the stadium lease ends after the 2012 season, the owner is 91, and no one will talk about a succession plan. How exciting is reality?

Why 3 years when teams like Miami go from 1-15 to the AFC East crown in one year?

PTR

I thought it was just me that felt this way. Doesn't it seem like most teams are competing for the upcoming year where the Bills are always competing for 2 years away.

That philosophy seems readily accepted on this forum.

I didn't know how to take it when Nix said " we can't do it all in a year" because some GM's and coaches can.

Would it be that difficult to build and expect a team that has gone 7-9, 7-9, 6-10, in the past three season to go 10-6

for the next year?