OT - Sideline Reporters rant

mary owen

11/29/04 2:55 pm MT

Don't know why this irritates me a bit, maybe it's the caffeine, but why do networks have "sideline reporters" during NFL games? I think Armen Keteyn might be the only one who gives some actual sideline insights to the game. ESPN's Kolber, CBS's Bonnie Bernstein, ABC's Michelle Tafoya, etc. all fail to give the viewer a feel for what might be going on RIGHT THEN AND THERE on the field.

(and before anyone uses the homo card on me, I'd kiss Hilary Clinton for a chance to bang any of the above female reporters...)

What's the use of calling them "sideline" correspondants? I watched last night as they went over to Suzy only for her to tell us that Kerry Collins threw a couple of nice bombs, as they showed the replays of what I had just seen minutes earlier. Gee, thanks captain obvious, I though maybe I imagined that play that they already showed 4 times.

Another great waste of valuable football time is when one of these supposed "insiders" gets on camera and tells me "When I spoke with Mike Tice earlier in the week, he was so excited about Moss coming back that his eyes lit up when I mentioned his name."

WHO CARES???? This happened the other day, has nothing to do with what is going on right now on the field or sidlines. Why????!!!!!!!! I can read that on ESPN.com if I want to.

Shouldn't a sideline correspondant tell me something that I don't already know? Maybe who flipped out on the sidelines, a quick hello from an injured starter, a third string RB's struggles while riding the pine, or even better yet how's this: "Well, Mike, from here that shot Moulds put on Bruschi sounded like a cat being kicked into venetian blinds with plywood boarded up behind them, followed by little girly wimpering. Awesome! Teddy's being cuddled by Rodney Harrison right now...but I think he'll be okay. Back to you Mike."

Am I just bitter? Or has anyone else ever sat at home and wondered why they waste time and money on this and NOT taken advantage of it's full potential????