Favre vs. Ripken Streak

OnTheRocks

Which streak is more impressive?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which streak is more impressive?

• Ripken Jr. 2632 consecutive games
    • Favre 200 consevustive games

The one thing I like about Favre is he has never taken a single snap and then gone to the bench to keep the streak alive....(ala Randy Moss a few weeks ago).

Favre is in his 14th season. His streak started (i think) during his 3rd season.

However.

Ripken. two thousand six hundred thirty two???? :blink:

162 games a season for 16+ seasons.

Tough call. It is no easy choice.

I voted Ripken. Farve's streak is unbelievable as well given the contact of football but having played A LOT of both sports there are numerous injuries in baseball as well. It's not hard to get plunked or slide wrong and severely sprain an ankle. I just think what Ripken did was just incredible.

Difference is, Favre is a damn good QB.  Ripken was an average to above average ball player at best.  Without the streak, Favre is in the HOF.  Without the streak Cal probably isn't.

137901[/snapback]

VA....have you seen Cal's stats?

This guy is a HOF'er if he stoped playing 3 years earlier.

400 + HR

1600 + RBI

Career BA .276

3000 total games played

Career Fielding Pct .977

Ever get into one of those topics with somebody where you bring something up and one of you says: "it's a no-brainer" and the other person says "I agree". But then upon further discussion, you're shocked to realize that you actually disagree with each other?

That's what happened w/ my roomate and I when this came up last year. I say Favre. I'm not saying Ripken's streak wasn't impressive, but almost all of us can relate to picking up a ground ball. I don't think any of us can relate to the physical pain and wear & tear of the NFL, being hit by 300+ LB giants week in and week out. That may sound a bit simplistic, but basically it boils down to 1 football game doing more damage to your body than 13 baseball games. If the baseball player was a catcher maybe it would be a different story.

Difference is, Favre is a damn good QB.  Ripken was an average to above average ball player at best.  Without the streak, Favre is in the HOF.  Without the streak Cal probably isn't.

137901[/snapback]

Rookie of the Year

Two-time AL MVP

Two-time All-Star Game MVP

Two-time Gold Glover

Retired with more HR than any shortstop in history

Redefined the position; before him, power hitters (and tall guys) didn't play short

Owns a World Series ring

I'd say he did enough to get into the Hall of Fame, streak or no streak.

And 2,632 games in a row is nonpareil. Consider also that he had a ridiculous consecutive-innings streak going for a long time as well. To my knowledge he NEVER pinch-hit or started a game just to keep the streak alive.

If the baseball player was a catcher maybe it would be a different story.

137932[/snapback]

I don't disagree it's more physically difficult to play catcher (and quarterback) than shortstop.

But aside from catcher, shortstop IS the most physically demanding everyday position on the field. Cal's 2,632 absolutely blows away Lou Gehrig's 2,130 by a whole lot more than just 502 games, because first base is the easiest position on the field by far (for example, back in Gehrig's era, the big slow doofus on the team ALWAYS played first because there was no DH slot to stick him in). And this is coming from an old first baseman. :blink:

137901[/snapback]

I disagree, and Im not even sure if that is relevant to this poll. Its about which streak is more impressive in the context of each players respective sport.

Was it the 94 strike that disheartned you R. Rich?

137966[/snapback]

Yep.

Three things I remember about that (leading up to the strike):

1. Some pitcher (forgot who) being taken out of a game giving the finger (both hands) to the fans all the way to the dugout.

2. Some player (again, forgot who) saying something to the effect of, "I don't care about the fans..." in a postgame press conference when asked about fan reaction to whatever incident he was involved in that day.

3. The team I rooted for, the Montreal Expos, had the best record in the major leagues leading up to that strike, ruining any chance they ever had at getting to the World Series.

The signs were there for me. I'm perfectly fine with pro and college football, college basketball, and even the occasional pro basketball game, though I'm losing interest in that too, especially with the level of immaturity in the players and with the recent trade my team, the Houston Rockets, made to acquire Tracy McGrady at the expense of Cuttino Mobley and one of my favorite players, Steve Francis.

Farve has 11 guys every week trying to kill him. SO, Farve takes it there. Yet, he only plays 16 games a season, so the chances of getting a risidual injury (like a pulled hamstring, twisted ankle, etc - things not related to getting hit) is geater for Cal Ripken Jr. You could make opposite arguments like this all day.

I think it comes down to one thing. Luck.

Farve has played through injury, yes, but he couldnt play if he had broken his throwing arm, or broken a leg, or tore an ACL or MCL, etc, etc.

Cal played through injury I'm sure too, but nothing that would have stopped him anyway. Im sure he never tore his hammy, and then played.

Both guys probably played when others would have taken the day off (Bretts Dad dying, for example).

But both are simply lucky as well. If even one hit had made Brett land the wrong way on his throwing are, breaking it in two, streak over. If he makes a dive like Rich Gannon did recently, and broke a bone in his neck, he couldnt play, no matter how tough he is. If Ripken is running off a homerun and steps on second wrong and his achilles (sp?) bursts, he's done.

So, again, they are both tough, as some players take a day off for having a cold. But both are extremely lucky to have avoided serious injury through such a long span.

I don't like either of them, though at least Favre is not a wife-beater.

A-List

Ripken, Cal. Mysteriously overrated as a player (as if longevity were everything!); physically abusive toward his wife after he caught her sleeping with Kevin Costner. Nice to his fans, though.
:blink:

Yep. 

Three things I remember about that (leading up to the strike):

1.  Some pitcher (forgot who) being taken out of a game giving the finger (both hands) to the fans all the way to the dugout.

2.  Some player (again, forgot who) saying something to the effect of, "I don't care about the fans..." in a postgame press conference when asked about fan reaction to whatever incident he was involved in that day.

3.  The team I rooted for, the Montreal Expos, had the best record in the major leagues leading up to that strike, ruining any chance they ever had at getting to the World Series.

The signs were there for me.  I'm perfectly fine with pro and college football, college basketball, and even the occasional pro basketball game, though I'm losing interest in that too, especially with the level of immaturity in the players and with the recent trade my team, the Houston Rockets, made to acquire Tracy McGrady at the expense of Cuttino Mobley and one of my favorite players, Steve Francis.

137981[/snapback]

Damn R.Rich, I dont blame you for feeling hostile towards MLB being an Expos fan, it is a shame what MLB and Expos ownership did to that franchise, it could have worked there if they really tried.

I do remember the player who flipped the bird to the fans, that was Jack McDowell giving the one finger salute to the Yankees fans!

I love college basketball too R. Rich, I have soured on the NBA much for the same reason you have as well. I used to share season tickets to the Knicks. Now I wouldnt even consider it, even if I had the money.