Spiller to replace Jackson not Lynch

I have a bad feeling that this pick is unfortunate for my favorite Bill - Fred Jackson.

Lynch will be the power and Spiller will be the finesse.

Fred is older but is the same as Spiller, only SLOWER.

I love Fred Jackson. I think they will keep all three this year

but Jackson will be gone by next year unless we get a great offer

for Lynch or he gets arrested again (both are possible but unlikely).

I would like to see a Lynch Spiller combo. If Lynch can get back to

beast mode we will have the best backfield in the league. I only hope we

can get a solid LT.

I have a bad feeling that this pick is unfortunate for my favorite Bill - Fred Jackson.

can get a solid LT.

you might be right Jackson probably has more value at this point then Lynch in any trade.

can get a solid LT.

nah noway man......jackson has more power then you think. he rarely goes down first contact hes better at catching the ball out of the backfield overall jackson is the better back and better person.....

its sad to see lynch go downhill so fast. i do like him.....but gotta do whats best for the team if we can get a 3rd or 4th for him we gotta do it.

you might be right Jackson probably has more value at this point then Lynch in any trade.

I don't think that's what he means. I think he means Freddy either gets cut or relegated to spot duty in 2011. Interesting thought, actually. He'll be 30 next year, and RB's don't last long into the 30's. But I doubt Lynch re-signs in 2012, when his contract is up, so it's pretty likely that we'll be looking at picking up another RB around that time.

Jackson is a much better complement to Spiller than Lynch. He hits the hole hard and keeps his feet moving. Marshawn dances behind the line too much as if he were Barry Sanders and gets stood up at the line too often. Jackson is more of a one cut down hill runner who can get the tough yards. Lynch is the one who'll be getting spot duty, if he's even around this season.

I would think a younger, cheaper back has more value in a trade. Jackson was paid 2 mil last year and Marshawn made 600k. I am assuming they both make about the same in 2010. Lynch may have underperformed for us and definitely has character issues, but he can still be a feature back. At that price, someone like Tampa or Seattle (where Lynch could be reunited with Cal teammate Justin Forsett) may very well be interested.

Jackson fits perfectly in the complementary veteran role, and can still be a huge asset at the same time. He is a tough runner, catches passes out of the backfield, was team MVP last season, is a locker room leader and is known as an overall class act . None of that can be said for Lynch, who hasn't seemed to have matured out of the PS2/Lil John portion of his life.

The more I read about CJ Spiller, the more I love the pick. But, if Fred Jackson is the odd man out of this running back log jam, I will be highly disappointed with this franchise.

I don't think that's what he means. I think he means Freddy either gets cut or relegated to spot duty in 2011. Interesting thought, actually. He'll be 30 next year, and RB's don't last long into the 30's. But I doubt Lynch re-signs in 2012, when his contract is up, so it's pretty likely that we'll be looking at picking up another RB around that time.

This kinda reminds me of '88. We had a trusted, fan favorite RB in Robb Riddick who was still running well in his early 30's. He gave us a lot of spot duty that year as 'breathers' to the rookie from OSU. Thurman Thomas.

Spiller wasn't concerned with the depth chart. He declared he will play any role head coach Chan Gailey has in mind.

"Whatever my role is," Spiller said, "my main focus is just winning the Super Bowl, getting to the Super Bowl, bringing back the glory days that used to be up in Buffalo. I'm not worried about how I'll be used in the offense or how many touches I'll have. My main focus is 'What can I do to help this team reach the Super Bowl?'

"I'm very excited that they made the decision. It's one they're never going to regret."

Spiller wasn't concerned with the depth chart. He declared he will play any role head coach Chan Gailey has in mind.

"Whatever my role is," Spiller said, "my main focus is just winning the Super Bowl, getting to the Super Bowl, bringing back the glory days that used to be up in Buffalo. I'm not worried about how I'll be used in the offense or how many touches I'll have. My main focus is 'What can I do to help this team reach the Super Bowl?'

"I'm very excited that they made the decision. It's one they're never going to regret."

I'm happy to see he already understands the futility of this franchise.

Awesome!

I think I'm gettin' a chubby.. <_<