Mav calls Mularky COTW

Marv

I don't want to go nuts just yet - he's a rookie coach and we have a losing record - but I think this team has turned around nicely. Mularky has grown into the role perfectly - as have the rest of the coaching staff, Gray, Clements, Krumrie, Szabo, Wyche, et al... The stiffest test of the staff will be their ability to maintain our momentum through a long off-season (realistically we will not make the playoffs).

Let's pause after 11 games and see what the other first-year head coaches are doing:

Norv Turner (Oakland): 4-7

Tom Coughlin (Giants): 5-6 (after starting 4-1, he's gone 1-5)

Lovie Smith (Chicago): 4-7

Dennis Green (Arizona): 4-7

Joe Gibbs (Washington): 3-8 (he sort of counts)

Jim Mora Jr. (Atlanta): 9-2

Mike Mularkey (Buffalo): 5-6 (after starting 0-4, he's gone 5-2)

Right now, Mularkey is doing as well as any other first-year head coach and probably better. Mora is the only one with a record above .500 but (1) he's in the crappy NFC and (2) the Falcons hired him before the Bills had even fired Gregg Williams, I think. And other than Mora, Mularkey is the only first-year head coach who has his team coming together and playing well in the second half of the season.

I think some of the people who were criticizing this hire would do well to publicly reassess their positions. :huh:

Let's pause after 11 games and see what the other first-year head coaches are doing:

Norv Turner (Oakland): 4-7

Tom Coughlin (Giants): 5-6 (after starting 4-1, he's gone 1-5)

Lovie Smith (Chicago): 4-7

Dennis Green (Arizona): 4-7

Joe Gibbs (Washington): 3-8 (he sort of counts)

Jim Mora Jr. (Atlanta): 9-2

Mike Mularkey (Buffalo): 5-6 (after starting 0-4, he's gone 5-2)

Right now, Mularkey is doing as well as any other first-year head coach and probably better.  Mora is the only one with a record above .500 but (1) he's in the crappy NFC and (2) the Falcons hired him before the Bills had even fired Gregg Williams, I think.  And other than Mora, Mularkey is the only first-year head coach who has his team coming together and playing well in the second half of the season.

I think some of the people who were criticizing this hire would do well to publicly reassess their positions.  :huh:

137526[/snapback]

Not bad when you realize that Turner, Coughlin, and Green also are not rookie head coaches.