momma don't let your babies be first round qb's

95. Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns (No. 1, 1999)

It was the first pick for the new Browns, and while Couch wasn't awful in his five seasons with Cleveland, you wonder what would have happened if the Browns had selected the guy who went second, Donovan McNabb. Maybe we would have been spared the whole Rush Limbaugh Affair … and the Dry-Heaving During the Super Bowl Affair … and the T.O. Affair …

You know, let's just get 20 years' worth of quarterbacks out of the way:

94. Joey Harrington, Detroit Lions (No. 3, 2002)

93. Akili Smith, Cincinnati Bengals (No. 3, 1999)

92. Cade McNown, Chicago Bears (No. 12, 1999)

91. Jim Druckenmiller, San Francisco 49ers (No. 26, 1997)

90. Heath Shuler, Washington Redskins (No. 3, 1994)

89. Rick Mirer, Seattle Seahawks (No. 2, 1993)

88. David Klingler, Cincinnati Bengals (No. 6, 1992)

87. Dan McGwire, Seattle Seahawks (No. 16, 1991)

86. Todd Marinovich, Los Angeles Raiders (No. 24, 1991)

85. Andre Ware, Detroit Lions (No. 7, 1990)

84. Kelly Stouffer, St. Louis Cardinals (No. 6, 1987)

83. Chuck Long, Detroit Lions (No. 12, 1986)

Combined Super Bowl titles by those teams after drafting those QBs: Zero. Mamas, don't let your sons become first-round quarterback selections.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...oenfield/060427

Golly Trent and JP didn't even make the list..although TE wasn't a first rounder, come to think of it.

My guess is Donovan would have gotten wrecked as well.

Teams that draft a first round QB and don't give him proven WRs, RBs, or OLine are destined to fail. Couch had talent, what he didn't have was an unlimited supply of confidence to get him through the beatings he took while the Front Office continued to flounder year after year and miss on pick after pick.

Look at it this way: The year they picked Couch, they didn't pick a single OLineman. The following season, the first OLineman they picked was in the 10th round. They didn't spend a single day 1 pick on an OLineman until FOUR seasons later and that pick (Jeff Faine) was the ONLY day 1 pick Cleveland spent on an OLineman in Couch's career.

I couldn't agree more. I think you can look at almost any of the qb's picked without an o-line and receivers and pretty much predict what will inevitably happen. Carr is another guy who comes to mind. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, I suspect we can legitimately call a qb pick at 9 in this draft pretty much insane. I suspect we might take Clausen if available, but I suppose we'll expect different results!

I'm convinced we have to fix the lines this year. The draft has a lot of talent from the trenches.