New Yorkers Brace for Doorman Strike??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually brings up my longstanding bias against the left. Many of you are witnessing this for the first time, but it's a regular fact of life for NYC dwellers. So levae behind the quadrennial demands by the building owners, the bigger issue is that for the vast majority of Manhattanites, this invisible army of building workers just makes things happen so that you don't have to worry about a thing.

Garbage needs to go out? Walk down the hall, throw the bag into a chute and it disappears.

Big snowstorm overnight? By the time you hit the sidewalk at 7AM, it's cleared & salted.

Rain causes a leak? Call the super and by the time you're home from work, the leak is fixed.

Dry cleaners only deliver during working hours? No problem, the doorman will hold the clthes until you get back.

Raining outside? The doorman will fetch an umbrella, or better yet, will go in the rain to hail you a cab.

Things just get done. Troubles disappear. That's why it's very easy to think that everything in life works very well, because there's always someone else who'll do the dirty work.

It is a needed/want service, though one side see's it as a right. No?

I hope the doormen/etc get the raises they should get dealing with those hobnobingoobersmoocheers.

Fck'em :thumbdown:

It is a needed/want service, though one side see's it as a right. No?

I hope the doormen/etc get the raises they should get dealing with those hobnobingoobersmoocheers.

Fck'em :thumbdown:

Is 40K salary and 30k benefits much in NYC? Not positive on that number, but that is what I heard.

Yeah, because the picture you have is of hauling your trash from your kitchen to a garbage can. That's not what happens in high rise buildings.

No they haul it down the hall to a garbage chute. At least in all of the high rise buildings I've seen.

Talk to Rhoda over the intercom every Monday night in front of a live studio audience?

No, that was Garfield.

What do you mean it's not their money?

The building owner pays the staff. Does some of it get passed through eventually to the tenants? Sure, but building owners are limited in how often they can raise common charges and are usually limited by leases in place and rent control laws that are stacked against them.

Anyone have a clue if the tips are included or is that on top. If on top and living outside the area, I can see it.

Of course not; tip are in cash. Nobody is reporting that. A lot of these guys make thousands at Christmastime.

The building owner pays the staff. Does some of it get passed through eventually to the tenants? Sure, but building owners are limited in how often they can raise common charges and are usually limited by leases in place and rent control laws that are stacked against them.

Of course not; tip are in cash. Nobody is reporting that. A lot of these guys make thousands at Christmastime.

They are probably living pretty well then. I am also willing to bet that the best work harder than most think. With that said, why kill the goose if you are making 80k for hustling.