new iphone "leaked"

from Gizmodo, so I assume it is legit.

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

You are looking at Apple's next iPhone. It was found lost in a bar in Redwood City, camouflaged to look like an iPhone 3GS. We got it. We disassembled it. It's the real thing, and here are all the details.

sounds like someone is in trouble!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone at Apple is going to get fired.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc1694

The news came just hours after the bloggers Gizmodo described how a 27-year-old software engineer at Apple (who is named and pictured in the post, by the way) managed to leave the precious iPhone 4G prototype — disguised to look like an iPhone 3GS — on a barstool at the Gourmet Haus Straut, a "nice German beer garden" in Redwood City, about 20 miles northwest of Apple HQ in Cupertino.

If he isn't fired, he has been ground up for parts.

And c'mon: Here's Apple, perhaps the most infamously paranoid company of all time, complete with triple-secret security zones, blackout curtains hung over conference room windows, flashing red warning lights, prototype devices chained to tables, and all that — only to suffer the (arguably) worst security breach in its history because some poor guy left the next iPhone on a barstool. The irony is just too rich.

<_<

That is kinda BS IMO. I would say they are clearly journalists.

Did they actually take it apart in their research? I'm not entirely sure from the original article. If they did, that doesn't seem right to me. They have no right to do that.

Did they actually take it apart in their research? I'm not entirely sure from the original article. If they did, that doesn't seem right to me. They have no right to do that.

I see it more as salvage. Apple lost it, they suffer the consequences. My main point though is that the police shouldn't be able to seize it, at best Apple should have to retaliate in civil court. I am sure someone will correct me though. :lol:

I can't conceive of what grounds the judge issued that order on. Guess we'll find out.

I can't conceive of what grounds the judge issued that order on. Guess we'll find out.

Yeah, this seems completely ludicrous to me and I can't believe they'd be allowed to take everything he owned, especially when the article says he GAVE IT BACK WHEN ASKED! WTF?

This situation has the markings of a case that could ultimately sit with the Supreme Court. The central issue being are bloggers members of the media and should they be afforded protections given to the media? It may also be as basic as freedom of speech.

I see it more as salvage. Apple lost it, they suffer the consequences. My main point though is that the police shouldn't be able to seize it, at best Apple should have to retaliate in civil court. I am sure someone will correct me though. :P

The problem I see is that they know exactly who it belongs to. Are you entitled to take someone's property just becuase they misplaced it? It definitely sounds like a decent case could be made for theft. I'm not the least bit familiar with protections allowed for journalists, but theft couldn't possibly be one of them, could it?

The problem I see is that they know exactly who it belongs to. Are you entitled to take someone's property just becuase they misplaced it? It definitely sounds like a decent case could be made for theft. I'm not the least bit familiar with protections allowed for journalists, but theft couldn't possibly be one of them, could it?

They didn't know who owned it at first -- Gizmodo bought the phone, posted about it, and hunted down the rightful owner. They then returned the phone when asked.

They didn't steal it -- and the phone was a huge news story (heck, it was even posted on a Bills message board!). They have no right to seize any of his stuff.

They didn't know who owned it at first -- Gizmodo bought the phone, posted about it, and hunted down the rightful owner. They then returned the phone when asked.

They didn't steal it -- and the phone was a huge news story (heck, it was even posted on a Bills message board!). They have no right to seize any of his stuff.

Maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly, but I thought I saw pictures somewhere of the actual guy who lost the phone. Either way, they knew exactly who the phone belonged to. They willingly bought stolen property. They then analyzed it before doing the "noble thing" of "searching" for the real owner. I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time, but that doesn't make it right.

The real scary thing though is if bloggers are given those same rights as journalists. That will give a free pass to just about everyone out there.

Maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly, but I thought I saw pictures somewhere of the actual guy who lost the phone. Either way, they knew exactly who the phone belonged to. They willingly bought stolen property. They then analyzed it before doing the "noble thing" of "searching" for the real owner. I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time, but that doesn't make it right.

The real scary thing though is if bloggers are given those same rights as journalists. That will give a free pass to just about everyone out there.

Yes, the guy's picture was posted -- and again, it was after the device was already analyzed.

If you lose something, it's not "stolen property." You lost it. If you're lucky, someone returns it to you. If you're not lucky, you lost it.

And why is it scary if bloggers are given the same rights as journalists? If you're talking about you making up your own blog for fun, then sure. But this guy is a paid blogger -- his parent company pays him to find news on electronic gadgets. What he did was reporting and journalism.

well known and paid bloggers have been given media credentials and special treatment up until now. not sure why this suddenly changed other than it was convenient for the "special task force". this guy gets paid by a media company to write articles and research the latest technology. sounds like a journalist to me. he's not just some schmuck with his own website.

and what is up with California having a Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team? thought this state couldn't even afford to buy lunch? i guess when you're paying as much in taxes as Apple, you can make anything happen...