Straight from the horse's (er Hog's) mouth: on Jason Campbell

folz

Sorry for another Campbell post, but...

I went to a Washington Redskins forum to get their take on Campbell since opinions

here seemed to be so diverse...(hope the link works)

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34789

For those who don't want to go to the site, I pulled the best comments and pasted below, only got 20 or so

replies so far, but the opinions all seem to be pretty much in unison:

"Has all the tools... big, athletic, very strong arm, excellent speed... but can't connect with a receiver in stride if he walked it to him. Has poor pocket presence. Doesn't feel the pressure... a lot of sacks last year were from failing to step up into the pocket...Excellent on the move with the ball... can pick up big chunks with his legs.

Doesn't read defenses well..."

"I'll add, he does have some upside. The Skins have not done Jason any favors with the revolving door of coaches, sub-par WR's and sub par blocking in many years. If he was given a fresh start you never know, he might surprise us. I would also say he would beat Trent Edwatds in an open competition, IMO."

"In the right situation, he could be a decent game manager. Lacks the temperment to be a top QB."

"Jason is physically what you want in a QB. He's is 6 foot 5, strong, mobile but not a "run first" guy, and he has a very strong arm. I would say he's the opposite of McNabb, he's very accurate in the short to intermediate routes, but misses consistently on the long ball.

He does seem to stand a little too stiff in the pocket sometimes, doesn't feel pressure very well, and for a mobile guy, he rarely moves around in the pocket to avoid pressure.

He's a high character guy, but is soft spoken and not much of a leader. I think he reads defenses pretty well. He knows where to go with the ball, but he's a little indecisive at times. He seems to be a much better quarterback between the 20's and at times completes passes at will there. But, in the red zone, where the margin for error narrows and the game moves faster, he struggles.

That said, he is an upgrade over Trent Edwards. And, I think if you get him for less than a 3rd round pick, you got a steal. His true value is a 3rd in my view. But, he'll likely go for less."

"Cannon arm and can take a beating. He's not that accurate though and he holds the ball way too long. Good OL is recommended."

"Good arm, not accurate downfield though. Can kinda scramble. He's tough. Gives terrible interviews. Will never rape a girl in a college town bathroom."

"Other than Soup being a tough SOB and more mobile, I can't see anywhere he is better than Trent Edwards. Actually when healthy, Edwards is better, but he rarely seams to be healthy."

"Now the question is, would Campbell succeed in that system or even propel them to the next level?

The answer is no. He's not a super star. He has all the tools, but can't put it all together. Can't read quick enough. Great QB's have read the D by the time they hit their last step of the drop back. Campbell can't. Now, if the Bills had a better O-line, giving him more time to read the D, Campbell could do very well in that system.

The Steelers showed me in 2008 that this guy wouldn't be the next great QB. They were the first team to start sending pressure at him and making him hurry his reads. Campbell couldn't think fast enough. Then every team started pressuring him and we went 2-6. You can be in many systems, but reading a defense never changes.

Many may not agree with me here, but it's dead on. He won't lose you games, but he won't win you any with a line that the Bills have, and he's a little better player than Edwards."

Nice job cherry picking that thread...

I took these from the first few posts then stopped reading...

"Excellent on the move with the ball... can pick up big chunks with his legs."

"I would add that Campbell has a lot of heart and will not make mistakes."

A Campbell thread on a Redskins forum isn't much different than a JP or Trent thread on TSW

right, the difference might be that Campbell has just been replaced and the skins know who their QB is.

We on the other hand are continuing our extended period of not knowing who our starting QB is - which will most likely continue into the season.

Nice job cherry picking that thread...

I took these from the first few posts then stopped reading...

"Excellent on the move with the ball... can pick up big chunks with his legs."

"I would add that Campbell has a lot of heart and will not make mistakes."

Maybe you should have kept reading.

Fans are dumb. They probably thought the Skins were a Super Bowl contender and Campbell was the only one holding the team back. The Redskins do as bad of a job putting a team together as any team in the NFL. They were a dumpster fire. And still Campbell improved.