eagles looking to trade up?

The perennial good teams understand the value of a higher pick in the draft...There is never a guarantee just because a player is taken higher that he will pan out, but overall the odds are better indicator of success statistically than a lower pick.

There is no proof of this whatsoever. High picks are just as much crap shots as lower picks. Besides, if teams are perennially good, they never have a high draft pick. The Lions and Rams have the #1 or #2 pick every year and they never get better.

PTR

Though Berry may be good, i feel they would be idiotic to trade that far up for a safety.(Considering what they would have to give up)

Just seems like a really bad football move.

I agree but many think Berry is the next Ed Reed and with the way the Eagles used Dawkins if he is anywhere close to Reed or Dawkins to them its probably worth it

I'll say this, he certainly isnt the next Whitner

No way in hadees I trade 9 and 41 for that scrap heap of picks. The further down you get in the draft the riskier it gets.

I completely agree. In 2001, TD got a #2 for trading down from 14 to 21. I would expect more than this for moving from 9 to 24, or else I wouldn't make the deal.

Though Berry may be good, i feel they would be idiotic to trade that far up for a safety.(Considering what they would have to give up)

Just seems like a really bad football move.

To be fair, count, the last time a team moved up that far for a safety was when Pittsburgh moved from 30 to 16 to draft Troy Polamalu in 2003.

And that was a great football move.

In DraftTek's simulator, I put your trade in with none of our analysts' grabs or lockouts.

24 Buffalo Anthony Davis OT Rutgers

37 Buffalo Terrence Cody DT34 Alabama (Colt McCoy also there)

55 Buffalo Alex Carrington DE34 Arkansas State

72 Buffalo Jermaine Cunningham OLB34 Florida (Donald Butler also there)

107 Buffalo Jarrett Brown QB West Virginia

140 Buffalo Eric Olsen OC Notre Dame

178 Buffalo LeGarrette Blount RBF Oregon

192 Buffalo Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky

209 Buffalo Chris DeGeare OG Wake Forest

216 Buffalo Tony Washington OT Abilene Christian

In many positions it doesn't make a great deal of difference if the player is good or if he is great. In the context of trading up or down - if you're just building up a team as the Bills mostly are, trading down to aquire more picks in the 2nd and 3rd round might give us a few more quality starters. There are positions and players that are so good you don't pass up the opportunity to get them - a great QB, LT, DE for example. You don't pass on Peyton Manning, on Bruce Smith... and if there is a Lawrence Taylor type linebacker or Ed Reed type safety then you get them if you can, too. But, if the talent isn't great - once in a decade great, then trading down and picking up extra picks suits us fine.

What is better for us - getting a top 3 Lt that might make the Pro-bowl every few years, or trading down and getting, say, the 5th rated LT and the 3rd rated RT, who are good players and aren't going to make the Pro-bowl, but are going to do what you need them to do most of the time? To me, I'd take the two players and fixing our line in one shot, as opposed to having the better player at LT, but still needing to spend another pick on the RT spot.

I guess we could argue forever about it - when the picks are there it is easier to say what should be done. And, a little luck helps - especially when trading down.

I'm doing this from my phone so I can't post the link but I was on walterfootball.com (great site for player e v a l and mock drafts) and they said the eagles were interested in trading up for an elite prospect (spiller perhaps) so I crunched the numbers off the value chart... our 9 and 41 is 1840 points traded for 24 37 55 and 70 which also is 1840 points. Although this is to convenient to actually happen I would be ecstatic as we could then have those four and the 72nd pick. That would allow us to fill most of our needs and perhaps llok like clausen (def slide potential if sf and sea don't piick him) charlie brown (or best ot/nt available) then best ot/nt based on previous pick (cam thomas perhaps) then bpa from then on out with two of them being @ the top of the third.... ah the week before the draft where possibilities are endless... oh yeah please buddy @ least make the call

Good read, and a good pick up. I'd do this in a heart-fuggin'-beat.

You shouldn't really post things like this. Many of the posts that show up here are sheer garbage, bereft of all reasoning, sentence structure, punctuation and syntax. THIS actually looks like something within the realm of possibility, and now it's the only thing on which I'll focus as we close in on Draft Day. Thanks for nothing.

What a monstrous move this would be.

The perennial good teams understand the value of a higher pick in the draft...There is never a guarantee just because a player is taken higher that he will pan out, but overall the odds are better indicator of success statistically than a lower pick.

I feel like this is something you heard at a sports bar from a drunk man with a ZZ top like beard and while generally, I would say trust that man with your life, in this case I would like to see a link to some proof.

In DraftTek's simulator, I put your trade in with none of our analysts' grabs or lockouts.

I'm sure its already been posted but what does it look like w/out the trade?

The Eagles are said to love Eric Berry. But Spiller is an option too.

The Chiefs will most likely go LT and the Browns might opt for Clausen. If that happens, Berry is likely to still be on the board when we pick and a trade opportunity may very well present itself and there could be a realistic trade down scenario for us which would be fantastic. We have so many needs, we could use a few extra picks.

Just include Lil Donte in the trade & let them take Spiller. Everybody wins. :thumbsup:

I agree on the load up on picks.. BUT!!!!

I would ask for some 2011 picks in the mix.

WHY ???

I don't think there is a franchise QB in this draft outside of Bradford, and if we start stock piling picks, use this draft to load up on OL, DL, and LB's we can make a huge move in 2011 to get a frachise arm. INCLUDING using our 2012 1st rd pick as well as our 2011 1st rd pick to get in the top few picks.....

Why do I like that plan of attack... We will have an entire year ot get the OL built up and gelled for a rookie arm in 2011....

No, thanks. First, there's no guarantee any of those 2011 guys will look anywhere near as good by next year's draft. If you remember, everyone thought that Jevan Snead was going to be a top five pick before the season, a real franchise guy. How did that turn out. Second, Bradford got injured. He got lucky that he's OK now, but that's not a guarantee that the next will be able to return to form.

Next, NEVER trade next year's first rounder and this year's first for anything. You castrate the next year's draft by doing that. It never works out.

I said a few weeks ago the Eagles were going to try and trade up for Berry, its just a matter of if they can get high enough to get him

Berry is going to go higher then 9 so they most likely need to get to 5 or 6 in my opinion

Any idea how difficult it is to trade from #24 to #6?

6th pick is 1600 points.

24th 740

56th 320

88th 150

120th 54

152nd 31.8, so the Eagles picks in rounds 1,2,3,4 and 5 total 1295.8. Their whole draft together totals 1320.6.

The final question is why it's so difficult to trade up that high. Most drafts have somewhere betwen maybe 4 and 9 real impact players. Most drafts are closer to 5 or 6 than 9. This year's draft is a real good one. Which is why trading down from #9 to #24 would NOT be a good idea for us.

I agree lynch could and should still be effective which is why I don't want him traded but I don't neccesarily think that's a scrap heap of picks its a one 2 twos and an early third which would give us 5 picks out of the top 72. As for your couple guys who could come in and produce year one this deal would net 2 picks before 41 where one of the players would come from along w 2 additional picks before our original own 3rd rounder which would help our depth tremendously in case of injuries (not that it ever happens to bills but just in case)

You're right, and I hear you, but IMHO, it's not worth going from #9 to #24 for what amounts to a late 2nd and a late 3rd. We don't just need more players. We need impact players. We need Merrimans (back when he was good), Mannings, Wilforks and Cladys. The odds of getting that kind of guy goes down by the time you reach #24. Yeah, it's still possible, but the odds are a lot lower.

I wouldn't mind trading back to maybe 12 - 15 if we really don't think the options are good at #9 by the time we pick, but no further.

Perfect use of the DraftTek simulator, and it does a good job of showing why we shouldn't take that trade. Cody would be a good pick, assuning he doesn't scarf himself out of the league. Other than that, nobody there floats my boat.

You're right, and I hear you, but IMHO, it's not worth going from #9 to #24 for what amounts to a late 2nd and a late 3rd. We don't just need more players. We need impact players. We need Merrimans (back when he was good), Mannings, Wilforks and Cladys. The odds of getting that kind of guy goes down by the time you reach #24. Yeah, it's still possible, but the odds are a lot lower.

I wouldn't mind trading back to maybe 12 - 15 if we really don't think the options are good at #9 by the time we pick, but no further.

Quick number crunch with the 49ers we could trade 9 72 and 140 for 13 49 and 79 (1616 ourpoints 1628 there's) which would give us 13 41 49 79 I think merriman and clady were in the 13 range and wilfork was 20 but I understand not wanting to go to far down... so how do you feel about this proposal?