NHL Playoffs thread...

Buftex

Pretty clean game tonight Meazza. 3-2. See ya in Montreal. I still think the Habs try to start playing offense a little too late. But the defense has sure gotten to Crosby, I will say that. He's worn down a bit. He couldn't even convert the empty netter. He's tired.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty clean game tonight Meazza. 3-2. See ya in Montreal. I still think the Habs try to start playing offense a little too late. But the defense has sure gotten to Crosby, I will say that. He's worn down a bit. He couldn't even convert the empty netter. He's tired.

Consider the amount of hockey the Pens have played in the last 3 years and you shouldn't be surprised.

The problem is that in order to do that effectively enough to play straight up with the Pens, they have to exert an obscene amount of energy. And no team can maintain that kind of effort for a full game. The can keep that up for about 20 minutes on any given night but I think they'll get slaughtered if they try to play that kind of game for more than a period.

I understand this completely. However, teams are giving the Penguins too much respect this year. They aren't as good this year as they were last year. And, they are showing age this year in Guerin and Gonchar. Fedetenko has been bad all year, and Ponikarovsky has kind of busted, although I don't think Bylsma is using him right. They also miss Scuderi tremendously. He was a very good defenseman, and his passing out of the defensive zone to get a rush going was tremendous.

If the Pens play like they are playing now (which isn't bad, but it isn't great either), they will get smoked in the Finals against a Western Conference team. I hope I'm wrong, but the Pens haven't been able to put together a run this year except for the very start of the regular season. Since then, they've been solid not great.

Consider the amount of hockey the Pens have played in the last 3 years and you shouldn't be surprised.

That's actually a great point. A lot of Penguins also played in the Olympics too. Never quite thought of that. That's a ton of meaningful hockey.

That's actually a great point. A lot of Penguins also played in the Olympics too. Never quite thought of that. That's a ton of meaningful hockey.

Mondays game at the bell will be rocking.

i couldn't get my hands on tickets :beer:

Great game by the Sharks tonight...they are playing some damn fine hockey!! I am sure Shark fans were sweating it out during that first round, but, man, they completely shut down the Red Wings, with the exception of that game 4...they will be tough to beat...

Great game by the Sharks tonight...they are playing some damn fine hockey!! I am sure Shark fans were sweating it out during that first round, but, man, they completely shut down the Red Wings, with the exception of that game 4...they will be tough to beat...

I was so happy last night. I couldn't believe the ref called a hold with a minute left right after he ignored a crosscheck too the face on Nichol. Anyway, I'm glad to see Thornton proving all the critics wrong. He's such a good dude.

I was so happy last night. I couldn't believe the ref called a hold with a minute left right after he ignored a crosscheck too the face on Nichol. Anyway, I'm glad to see Thornton proving all the critics wrong. He's such a good dude.

Thornton was great last night... I don't get to see him play all that much, I only hear others say he "sucks" or is "overrated"...I don't know, what I have seen this playoff season, he is pretty damn solid....

Thornton was great last night... I don't get to see him play all that much, I only hear others say he "sucks" or is "overrated"...I don't know, what I have seen this playoff season, he is pretty damn solid....

He plays hard. He's never been a goal scorer though. So if his team isn't playing like a team he doesn't get points. Hence, not a lot of points and newspaper readers think he sucks

The Habs have been the big surprise this year (so far). If they win tonight it could be a crazy night in Montreal. They are closing down a portion of St Catherines (the main downdown street).

According to a cop: “We want to avoid incidents between people and cars.” And a lot of glass storefronts.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Cath...8643/story.html

The riot act:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/lose...7375/story.html

The Habs and Bruins have both won in large part because of the defensive wall put around their goalies. The best way to beat such a system is to score the first goal forcing the wall to move up ice and take some chances. The Western Conference games have been wide open back and forth games. But in the East, the games have been tighter and yes, boring. If the Pens score first this series may be over. If the Habs score first and with the crowd on their side the Habs should pull it off.

Pittsburgh PP definitely does NOT = RJ. Holy crap; the Sabres wouldn't look that good if it was 5 on 2.

Yeah, but believe me, that's about the first time it's looked that good all year. Their PP has been awful most of the year.

The Habs and Bruins have both won in large part because of the defensive wall put around their goalies. The best way to beat such a system is to score the first goal forcing the wall to move up ice and take some chances. The Western Conference games have been wide open back and forth games. But in the East, the games have been tighter and yes, boring. If the Pens score first this series may be over. If the Habs score first and with the crowd on their side the Habs should pull it off.

This isn't really true in Montreal's case. Montreal, whether they score first or not, does not change their philosophy. It's frustrating. If you want to beat them, you have to keep peppering Halak with shots, and get rebounds. You have to work for it, because it won't come any other way. That's exactly how they beat Washington. Washington is all flash and no work. That doens't work against Montreal.

Plus, Montreal might have the best transition game in hockey right now. They look good on offense when they break out, which isn't often, but when they have, they've been great.They

Montreal is playing their system very very well. It's frustrating people right now. It'[s much like the Giants vs. the Bills in the SB.

Yeah, but believe me, that's about the first time it's looked that good all year. Their PP has been awful most of the year.

Those back to back PPs were probably the best executed ones I've ever seen in years. Of course, being used to watching Buffalo on power plays, my expectations are pretty low.

But hell of a comeback by the Habs...this is turning into a great game.

Those back to back PPs were probably the best executed ones I've ever seen in years. Of course, being used to watching Buffalo on power plays, my expectations are pretty low.

This has been a great series.

You sons a bitches Meazza. I hate game 7s. I've seen my share of victory in my life with Lemiuex, Jagr, Crosby and Malkin. But I've seen a couple of losses too. This one feels a lot like the year the Pens were coming off of back to back Cups, probably had their best team ever, and bowed out to #8 NY Isles in a game seven in Pittsburgh.

I thought the Pens would bow out in the second round, just not to Montreal. Unreal story!

For the last 3 months i have been preparing for a brutal exam that is june 5th (pass rate 30%). This is the year that it would not have bothered me had they not made the playoffs because i really don't have much time to spare.

I can't believe i have to feel guilty to stop studying just to watch a period :sick:

Oh well. Unluckiest sports fan alive i guess :)