How hard is it

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice. Typing games, a thousand posts on here, whatever strikes your fancy. I'm still no 100-wpm touch-typist, but I know I've gotten better since I started filing a few thousand words a week. Good thing, too, since I wore the letters off this laptop keyboard less than a year after I bought it. (The rest of the family can't use it now unless they look at another keyboard as a reference. Ha. Ha. :w00t: )

Then again, I know a guy who's been working at a newspaper almost as long as I've been alive -- he won a national writing award last month, in fact -- and he still hunts and pecks...

Practice. Typing games, a thousand posts on here, whatever strikes your fancy. I'm still no 100-wpm touch-typist, but I know I've gotten better since I started filing a few thousand words a week. Good thing, too, since I wore the letters off this laptop keyboard less than a year after I bought it. (The rest of the family can't use it now unless they look at another keyboard as a reference. Ha. Ha. :w00t: )

Then again, I know a guy who's been working at a newspaper almost as long as I've been alive -- he won a national writing award last month, in fact -- and he still hunts and pecks...

Well thanks. Now I don't feel so bad. I have gotten a little better with time; at lest I no longer look at the keyboard for 2 minutes and swear the company riped me off and never put a 'y' on it :D

I really don't care how fast I type. I just want to be able to do it without looking at the keyboard.

My HS "keyboarding" teacher was a visionary. She said, "Everyone will need to learn to type. You'll be using word processors or computers in college and printing out your papers. Someday we'll all be communicating by typing into computers."

That was in 1987. :D

Of course, she didn't think we'd need to learn to type with our thumbs on a Blackberry. :lol:

Oh - she was hot, too. :w00t:

Jim, one thing you can do that will really help when learning to type is get a sheet of paper that completely covers the keyboard and teach your fingers to find the home keys (F and J on PC, D and K on Mac) and be able to move without seeing the keyboard. It sucks at first, but that is how I learned and after a week or two your muscle memory kicks in.

Link?

I just Googled her. She's still teaching in the same school district, but I didn't see any photos. I'm sure that 23 years later, she's probably lost a few steps (we all have). She was probably mid-30s then, so she's probably pushing 60 these days.

I need a time machine.

(Typed this entire post without looking at the keyboard, though.)

I just Googled her. She's still teaching in the same school district, but I didn't see any photos. I'm sure that 23 years later, she's probably lost a few steps (we all have). She was probably mid-30s then, so she's probably pushing 60 these days.

I need a time machine.

(Typed this entire post without looking at the keyboard, though.)

Get a hot tub :w00t:

I'm of this generation, so I learned at home when I was 6 and at school when I was 8. If you work at it long enough it becomes complete muscle memory, even to the point where you fix mistakes just as quickly as you type regularly.

My Dad is a meteorologist, so he's constantly on computers...but for some reasons he still chooses to hunt and peck. I've encouraged him vigorously to learn typing, but he's just resistant to it for some reason. To me, it's a compulsory skill for our modern times.