Tax Day tomorrow

Who made it an issue in the first place? I'd say it was Christians who don't have the first f-ing clue as to the history of their own belief system. The term originated with the earliest Christians. If not for them it would not likely exist. Those using the abbreviation got it directly from your fore-bearers.

Why do the rest of us need to compensate for your ignorance?

I asked a simple question.

Take a breath and answer when you're ready.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a simple question.

Take a breath and answer when you're ready.

I don't presume to know the motivations of companies and people I've never met. Blame the free market if you like. If companies made more of a profit by replacing X with Christ, they would certainly do so. It's a non-issue for most reasonable people.

I don't presume to know the motivations of companies and people I've never met. Blame the free market if you like. If companies made more of a profit by replacing X with Christ, they would certainly do so. It's a non-issue for most reasonable people.

You're getting there.

Take another breath.

Try once more.

If you don't feel comfortable answering for those people you don't know, restrict yourself to those you do.

Snopes is one of the most non-partisan sites you will find when talking about this sort of thing. The historical accuracy of this is well-documented and dead-on. Are you disputing the claim? Do you think it's a comical that they feel it necessary to put that in? Wouldn't want to step on anyone's fairy tales! Talk about P.C.! It literally made me laugh out loud.

I think it is a little condescending for snopes to say that it is ok for me to feel that way. I really don't have a problem with Xmas, but it's not their place to tell me whethor or not I should be ok with something. Snopes is non-partisan?

I think it is a little condescending for snopes to say that it is ok for me to feel that way. I really don't have a problem with Xmas, but it's not their place to tell me whethor or not I should be ok with something. Snopes is non-partisan?

That's the whole point. Somebody there must have been so very afraid of offending the delicate psyches of Christians everywhere that they actually had to qualify the FACTS it in that way. Snopes is partisan?

You're getting there.

Take another breath.

Try once more.

If you don't feel comfortable answering for those people you don't know, restrict yourself to those you do.

Well personally, I don't know anyone who says 'Merry Xmas'. I certainly don't. I see it in the stores around Christmas time and think that they must sell more merchandise doing it that way. That's all I've got. I'm not really interested in it other than the complete hypocrisy of the whole thing, given the history of the term 'Xmas'.

"You’d be hard-pressed to find two more apolitical people," David Mikkelson said. We checked online to see if he had given money to any federal candidates, and nothing turned up. Mikkelson even faxed us a copy of his voter registration form. He asked us not to post an image of it here, but we can confirm that it shows he declined to state a party affiliation when he registered last year, and also that when he registered in 2000 he did so as a Republican.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/

On the other hand...

We asked David. He told us that Barbara is a Canadian citizen, and as such isn’t allowed to vote here or contribute money to U.S. candidates.

Well personally, I don't know anyone who says 'Merry Xmas'. I certainly don't. I see it in the stores around Christmas time and think that they must sell more merchandise doing it that way. That's all I've got. I'm not really interested in it other than the complete hypocrisy of the whole thing, given the history of the term 'Xmas'.

I don't care one way or another about the word.

I celebrate Christmas like I want, and others can do the same.

But that also includes letting people determine their shopping based on what stores hang up what signs. I'm sure businesses feel that they use whatever term makes them money like you suggest. I'm sure that there are some businesses that use whatever term they prefer regardless of business. That's their prerogative as well.

What my point is, is that the origin of the word doesn't matter. The intent and usage of the word is what gets people riled up. Lots of words have changed in meaning since their creation. This one pretty much has as well. Not many, if any, people hang up signs with Xmas on them trying to be clever about using the word with its original meaning. So to try to tell people that shouldn't be upset based on the origin of a word is rather asinine.

And yes, it is quite hypocritical that people scream that their being forced to use a PC term, while at the same time trying to force others to use the term they like better. Oh, and it's stupid as well.

I don't care one way or another about the word.

I celebrate Christmas like I want, and others can do the same.

But that also includes letting people determine their shopping based on what stores hang up what signs. I'm sure businesses feel that they use whatever term makes them money like you suggest. I'm sure that there are some businesses that use whatever term they prefer regardless of business. That's their prerogative as well.

What my point is, is that the origin of the word doesn't matter. The intent and usage of the word is what gets people riled up. Lots of words have changed in meaning since their creation. This one pretty much has as well. Not many, if any, people hang up signs with Xmas on them trying to be clever about using the word with its original meaning. So to try to tell people that shouldn't be upset based on the origin of a word is rather asinine.

And yes, it is quite hypocritical that people scream that their being forced to use a PC term, while at the same time trying to force others to use the term they like better. Oh, and it's stupid as well.

It's just a word. If Christmas hadn't become such an incredibly commercial holiday it wouldn't be an issue. Now it's also celebrated by non-Christians who care nothing of its original meaning. It got too big for itself, I guess. Much like the Beatles, Christmas is now bigger than Jesus.

It's just a word. If Christmas hadn't become such an incredibly commercial holiday it wouldn't be an issue. Now it's also celebrated by non-Christians who care nothing of its original meaning. It got too big for itself, I guess. Much like the Beatles, Christmas is now bigger than Jesus.

I celebrate Christmas and send out a yearly Christmas card with Merry Christmas on it--and I'm not Christian.

Me too. It's now an American holiday.

I have real issues with Christmas and Easter as they are. The "celebrations" while nominally pointing to Christ actually are from the Saturnalian and celebrations for Ishtar (aka Venus/Aphrodite/Libertas). All the Santa Claus and Easter Bunny stuff have direct roots in paganism and are revolting to the senses of any Christian. I'm not going to judge people if they choose to follow all that ancillary stuff, but it's certainly not going to be the focus in my household.

I have real issues with Christmas and Easter as they are. The "celebrations" while nominally pointing to Christ actually are from the Saturnalian and celebrations for Ishtar (aka Venus/Aphrodite/Libertas). All the Santa Claus and Easter Bunny stuff have direct roots in paganism and are revolting to the senses of any Christian. I'm not going to judge people if they choose to follow all that ancillary stuff, but it's certainly not going to be the focus in my household.

We only celebrate the Pagan stuff. Tree, decorations. My daughter is hip to Santa (we never lied about it) but we still talk about him. That and family traditions and whatnot. We did carol and sang some of the Christian Standards (Silent Night, etc.) last year. Also put out a manger as a family tradition.

Christmas for us is part of our familial heritage but not something with religious significance. Easter has no real significance except for some better candy and egg farts.

Sinister Santa and the Easter-Christ Bunny vs the gay muppets in a cage deathmatch. That would rock.

Santa Claus, pagan? So St. Nicholas was...what, a wiccan?

Nice of you to give props to the Assyrians, though. :rolleyes: