Tax Day tomorrow

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else is going to a "Tea Party" protest? If you want to get involved just look up your area online and Im sure there is one in your area to go to.

Went last year and it was worthwhile. Some local politicians were there and spoke freely with many of us. Would like to go tomorrow, but have other commitments in the afternoon.

Tax Day..or as liberals like to call it....Christmas.

Wait, they cant say that or they lose the "cool" card with their buddies....Xmas.

A bit off topic, but you know that Xmas isn't a disrespectful abbreviation, right? It's not actually "taking the Christ out of Christmas". Do you know the history of the term?

RkFast, I know sometimes Google doesn't work on your computer, so here it is from snopes:

The abbreviation of 'Xmas' for 'Christmas' is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word 'Christmas' seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter 'X' is used to stand for the word 'Christ' because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted "to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas." Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for 'Christ' is 'chi,' and the Greek letter 'chi' is represented by a symbol similar to the letter 'X' in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence 'Xmas' is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word 'Christmas' (just as 'Xian' is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word 'Christian').

None of this means that Christians (and others) aren't justified in feeling slighted when people write 'Xmas' rather than 'Christmas,' but the point is that the abbreviation was not created specifically for the purpose of demeaning Christ, Christians, Christianity, or Christmas - it's a very old artifact of a very different language.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

As you can see in the second paragraph, it is the opinion of snopes.com that it's ok for you to feel slighted by the term Xmas. This makes a lot of sense to me because the very people who actually WOULD feel slighted by such a thing don't typically seem too interested in facts anyway.

Merry Xmas (Tax Day)!!!

RkFast, I know sometimes Google doesn't work on your computer, so here it is from snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

As you can see in the second paragraph, it is the opinion of snopes.com that it's ok for you to feel slighted by the term Xmas. This makes a lot of sense to me because the very people who actually WOULD feel slighted by such a thing don't typically seem too interested in facts anyway.

Merry Xmas (Tax Day)!!!

I feel so validated that snopes.com says it is ok if I feel slighted. Any advice from The Huffington Post or moveon.org?

I feel so validated that snopes.com says it is ok if I feel slighted. Any advice from The Huffington Post or moveon.org?

Snopes is one of the most non-partisan sites you will find when talking about this sort of thing. The historical accuracy of this is well-documented and dead-on. Are you disputing the claim? Do you think it's a comical that they feel it necessary to put that in? Wouldn't want to step on anyone's fairy tales! Talk about P.C.! It literally made me laugh out loud.

Snopes is one of the most non-partisan sites you will find when talking about this sort of thing. The historical accuracy of this is well-documented and dead-on. Are you disputing the claim? Do you think it's a comical that they feel it necessary to put that in? Wouldn't want to step on anyone's fairy tales! Talk about P.C.! It literally made me laugh out loud.

So you feel that when people or companies use Xmas today it's with the original intent that the word Xmas was created?

So you feel that when people or companies use Xmas today it's with the original intent that the word Xmas was created?

Who made it an issue in the first place? I'd say it was Christians who don't have the first f-ing clue as to the history of their own belief system. The term originated with the earliest Christians. If not for them it would not likely exist. Those using the abbreviation got it directly from your fore-bearers.

Why do the rest of us need to compensate for your ignorance?