Jeeps

dib

Sorry - I've no experience with the Wrangler.

You did say you owned a CJ-5 back in the day? The Wrangler came out in 1987 as the YJ (square headlights... The only thing that changed from the CJ's was the suspension and of course modern stuff like ignition and what not... TJ's just had coil suspensions... My 2006 is really no different than the CJ/YJ sans the leafsprings... Demensions, axles and what not are even the same... The engine in my 2006 is the AMC cast iron straight-six. Windshield angle is a bit different... So you really can't put CJ/YJ doors on a TJ.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I appreciate the help, but I'm looking at/for a 2wd 4 door rubicon or sahara

You won't get a Rubicon in 2wd... Just won't... I don't even think a Sahara. Again the reason why they came out with the Ruby is so a person wouldn't have to outfit the Jeep aftermarket... Jeep stood to make a ton of money against the aftermarket trade. Technically, with the locking diffs and bigger tires... One could hit the Rubicon Trail in Cali and not need one thing aftermarket... Except a winch is highly advised!

The slick thing about the new Ruby's (JK, 2007+) is that they have electonic sway bar disconnect for front axle/wheel articuation on the trails and rocks... Press a button once you leave the highway and bam!, your sway bar is disco'd... Leave the trail, press the button and bam!, your sway bar is re-connected for safe highway travel... No more getting out and crawling under the machine to remove pins! Keeps you clean! :ph34r:

You did say you owned a CJ-5 back in the day? The Wrangler came out in 1987 as the YJ (square headlights... The only thing that changed from the CJ's was the suspension and of course modern stuff like ignition and what not... TJ's just had coil suspensions... My 2006 is really no different than the CJ/YJ sans the leafsprings... Demensions, axles and what not are even the same... The engine in my 2006 is the AMC cast iron straight-six. Windshield angle is a bit different... So you really can't put CJ/YJ doors on a TJ.

Yes - a 1980 CJ-5. 4cyl (it was the GM "Iron Duke" 151 c.i.) and 4 speed.

For a while, there was a CJ-6, a 5 with a stretched wheelbase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ

I own a Cherokee Laredo, but I'm looking to replace it with a Wrangler Rubicon (4x2) unlimited. Anyone own a wrangler rubicon? I've read all the hype I'm looking for someone with boots on the ground

Why get a Rubicon if it isn't a 4x4....

That's just not right...

Go for it, but make sure you test drive it first, there are blind spots, esp out of the back window because of the windshield wiper, other than that that's going to be my next Jeep purchase in a couple years

No. But I have an '06 TJ Wrangler, Golden Eagle. The Rubicon has the front and rear diff lockers... Also has the heavy duty Dana 44 axles on front and rear. My Golden Eagle is sans the lockers and only has the 44 on the rear... Lighter duty 35 up front (was introduced and put into the older YJ's [square headlights: 1987-1995]).

You can't get a Rubicon in 4x2... I think? The whole point of them making a Rubicon was to offer right off the line most of the things people put on the Jeep to make it more 4x4 ready.

I think they call the 2wd 4-door model "Ultimate" or some such. I guess they might stick on the Rubicon decals - but you are right about the Rubicon's set-up.

They all have traction control and ESP. I suppose you can get a 2wd with a locker differential, too. And RWD with a set of tire chains does a good job getting around in snow, on pavement. Back-in-da-day, when everything except Saabs were RWD, many folks in Bflo. slapped on the chains - and they got around just fine.

I still have several pairs of "cheater" chains - the 2 length jobs that one affixes with a canvas strap and a buckle through the rim. They get you out of a tough spot on pavement. Then you release the clasp, and you're on the way.

They still sell 'em:

http://www.tirechain.com/STRAPONTIRECHAINS.htm

Yes - a 1980 CJ-5. 4cyl (it was the GM "Iron Duke" 151 c.i.) and 4 speed.

For a while, there was a CJ-6, a 5 with a stretched wheelbase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ

:lol::thumbsup: I still thnk the last model year CJ-5 (shortie) around 1983 are the ultimate looking Jeeps! Something about the real short wheelbase and the curved doors around the rear wheels make it the most appealing Jeeps! I would love to build one from ground up! You can get all the parts new!

Anyway... The 2007 and beyond JK don't do a thing for me... Look to Hummeresque! :wallbash: The only way they look remotely nice is if the owner gets rid of those God awful fender flares and mounts a set of flat fender flares... TJ's look really nice to with the flat fender flares.

Why don't you go ask those hip chicks who think a Wrangler around them gives them a bad girl persona ?

:lol:

I kinda dig that actually, but only if they live in the southwest. Prissy northeast girls should stick to their VW Cabrios (or whatever they call it now).

Why get a Rubicon if it isn't a 4x4....

That's just not right...

Go for it, but make sure you test drive it first, there are blind spots, esp out of the back window because of the windshield wiper, other than that that's going to be my next Jeep purchase in a couple years

Again... You CAN'T get a Rubicon in 4x2... Just won't happen... That is not what a Rubicon is. It is speciafically a 4x4 package with a certain amount of options that most Jeep owners would (that did seek pre-Rubicon model years) seek through aftermarket companies in order to rig their Jeep for extreme wheeling. Saves them time from going the afetrmarket root and with a Rubicon, Jeep honors the warranty. Got the 30 or so grand?... The Rubicon is the easiest way to get your Jeep up to snuff for the extreme trail.

Still... Aftermarket companies make better products IMO. Again... Be careful... The aftermarket root MAY void the original warranty... Especially with lifts and suspensions...

Cincy... Those were the days! :lol::thumbsup: The story goes, my mother-in-law always wanted "chains." My father-in-law always drove VW's (Bugs and Square Backs)... :wallbash: Oh, she also wanted those real big trailer mirrors too! Must have drove my father-in-law crazy! Wonderful, I married her lovely daughter... Blushing bride of my for the last 17 years! 0:)0:)

:wallbash:

I kinda dig that actually, but only if they live in the southwest. Prissy northeast girls should stick to their VW Cabrios (or whatever they call it now).

There is one mother that comes to pick up her children at school... New JK Wrangler. Big ole letter across the front windshield that says:

"Jeep Girls Like to Do in the Mud!"

:thumbsup:

Holy beJesus!... What is wrong with people... For crying our loud it is a Catholic school!

:lol:

0:)

Still... Aftermarket companies make better products IMO. Again... Be careful... The aftermarket root MAY void the original warranty... Especially with lifts and suspensions...

Talk to the factory rep. on that and get it in writing what part of the warranty is voided by a aftermarket lift. Usually it's minor, like driveshaft's. Engine,trans,etc still covered. But again clear this with the FACTORY REP. not the service manager.

Cincy... Those were the days! :lol::thumbsup: The story goes, my mother-in-law always wanted "chains." My father-in-law always drove VW's (Bugs and Square Backs)... :wallbash: Oh, she also wanted those real big trailer mirrors too! Must have drove my father-in-law crazy! Wonderful, I married her lovely daughter... Blushing bride of my for the last 17 years! 0:)0:)

The pinnacle of the VW passenger car boxer pancake motor vehicles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_4

The Super Beetle (front struts instead of torsion bar axle) hung around till the late '70's - FI motor. But the dollar/deutschmark exchange at that time made it too expensive for sale in the US market.

The Beetle hung on for many a years in Mexico, as well as the original Type II bus. In it's waning years in the Mex. production, the VW water-cooled 4 cyl. was installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2

Note the reference to the "Chicken War." I've mentioned it several times here on this site, through the years. And also why Toyota manufactured Hi-Lux beds in Van Nuys - they skirted the law by importing chassis/cabs and then bolting on the US-made bed.

Are you familiar with the delivery vehicle called the Dodge Sprinter? Commercial versions have to be disassembled and then reassembled in S. Carolina. The Chicken laws live!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter