Jeeps

dib

I own a Cherokee Laredo, but I'm looking to replace it with a Wrangler Rubicon (4x2) unlimited. Anyone own a wrangler rubicon? I've read all the hype I'm looking for someone with boots on the ground

I didn't know they made 2 wheel drive Wranglers. That seems kind of pointless. My wife really wants the 4 door version but they're pretty proud of them and the Xterra is still too young to replace. I checked into the Wranglers and they're still pretty bulletproof but they get horrible gas mileage and the MSRP is really high (though they do hold their value pretty well if you're a "keep it for a decade" guy like I am). I don't think I'd bother with 2WD because it would be tough to get rid of.

Why anyone would buy a jeep that is not 4WD is beyond me.

I dont have much call for 4wd here. No elevation to speak of and it almost never snows. Dont tow anything either, so 4x2 is good for me

Buy an FJ instead. Way better in my opinion (okay, release the buy american onslaught).

Unfortunately, they get low marks for visibility. I look at them on the road, with those very wide c-pillars, and the outside spare blocking off the rear window...

They're not alone - the Chev HHR, Dodge Caliber, bunches of others. Including sedans.

Unfortunately, they get low marks for visibility. I look at them on the road, with those very wide c-pillars, and the outside spare blocking off the rear window.

They're not alone - the Chev HHR, Dodge Caliber, bunches of others. Including sedans.

Yes, they are tough to back up in, but as an off road vehicle, they rule. Way better than a jeep.

I own a Cherokee Laredo, but I'm looking to replace it with a Wrangler Rubicon (4x2) unlimited. Anyone own a wrangler rubicon? I've read all the hype I'm looking for someone with boots on the ground

Handy car review site:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...ces-reviews.htm

FWIW, the dealer ads in SW Ohio generally show deep discounts for several Jeep models - Grand Cherokee, Commander especially deep.

As AD mentioned - if you are going to keep it for the long haul, I see nothing wrong with 2wd in your locale.

Sorry - I've no experience with the Wrangler.

I own a 2005 Wrangler 4x4. Awesome Jeep. I absolutely love it. I may never sell it. You'd be suprised at the uses for the 4x4, snow, beach, mountains etc. You will look for places to go and test your Wrangler. Mine has climbed in the Adirondacks, bounced on the sandy dunes of eastern Long Island and handled all manner of Vermont snow and ice.

My model is the Sport, but with lots of add-ons! :devil:

Gas mileage is not great, although it is better with the soft top. But its not awful on the highway either. Took mine down to North Carolina from NYC on 2 tanks of gas.

I really don't like the redesign they did after 06 and am happy that I bought mine in 05.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Well, dib - you will probably look for a long time for personal experiences. 2wd Wranglers are a rare bird....

the 4 doors come as 2 or 4 wheel drive. I'm looking for 4 door owners that can give me personal insight

the 4 doors come as 2 or 4 wheel drive. I'm looking for 4 door owners that can give me personal insight

Again, you might have a wait. I suspect that 2wd 4-door Wrangler owners are as rare as folks that hunt squirrels with .32,.36 black powder rifles - and most of us that do or have done so are living in deep Appalachia. Not an on-line crowd... :devil:

I do not have one, but have been in my pals Sahara. He loves the thing, although it is 4wd, not 2. He had the thing built to his specs, took a long time from order to delivery, but it is a great vehicle. Thats all i got..sorry

Yes, they are tough to back up in, but as an off road vehicle, they rule. Way better than a jeep.

I've never seen them in the off-road spots I have hit.

But I did have to use my winch to pull one out of a ditch after a particularly nasty snowstorm a couple years back.

No. But I have an '06 TJ Wrangler, Golden Eagle. The Rubicon has the front and rear diff lockers... Also has the heavy duty Dana 44 axles on front and rear. My Golden Eagle is sans the lockers and only has the 44 on the rear... Lighter duty 35 up front (was introduced and put into the older YJ's [square headlights: 1987-1995]).

You can't get a Rubicon in 4x2... I think? The whole point of them making a Rubicon was to offer right off the line most of the things people put on the Jeep to make it more 4x4 ready.

I didn't know they made 2 wheel drive Wranglers. That seems kind of pointless. My wife really wants the 4 door version but they're pretty proud of them and the Xterra is still too young to replace. I checked into the Wranglers and they're still pretty bulletproof but they get horrible gas mileage and the MSRP is really high (though they do hold their value pretty well if you're a "keep it for a decade" guy like I am). I don't think I'd bother with 2WD because it would be tough to get rid of.

The new JK's (2007-+) comes in a 4x2. I agree, it defeats the purpose. BUT... They did make Jeeps years ago, 4x2... I know the DJ's (old postal Jeeps, etc...: "Dispatch Jeep") came in 4x2... Was the 4x2 version of the CJ... Jeep Gala... Jeep Surrey Gala... Were 4x2... That was in the 1950's and 1960's.

What is new about the JK's is that they use "body on panel" design... Meaning the old standard "tub" is gone. They also have a wider track and longer wheel base from the venerable C,Y,TJ platform... The "K" platform. All the Jeeps went to the "K" platform including the WJ (Grand Cherokee), XJ (Cherokee... Now defunct), and KJ (Liberty). The Commander is the the now the XK.

Buy an FJ instead. Way better in my opinion (okay, release the buy american onslaught).

Faux Jeep.

You know what "J" stands for in Toyota FJ Cruiser... You guessed it: "JEEP!"

:ph34r::(:lol:

Remember the original style Landcrusiers? They were FJ's (FJ-40, etc..)

FJ-40

A very nice machine... Totally rotted out... Nice if you can find one intact!