Two First Round Quality Players

CSBill

By conviction, I’m a Notre Dame hater – they represent everything that is wrong with the current system in college football.

With that being said, I am slowing warming to the idea of Jimmy Clausen. When I look at him as objectively as I can, it seems all the numbers and tools are there.

Here is what I see (I hope) happening on draft day: If Clausen is not there, draft one of the big 4 OTs or Williams at NT. But if he is there, draft him and immediately trade (or draft him with this conditional trade already in place) the second round pick to the Ravens for Gaither.

It's a dream and a wish, but if this scenario were to work out, the Bills would address two major needs with essentially two top-of-draft picks (or first round picks) in this draft.

Thoughts?

P.S. I’ve been a reader of the Stadium Wall for years and thoroughly enjoy reading all (most) of you, it’s always fun. But this is my first ever post, so be gentle.

By conviction, I’m a Notre Dame hater – they represent everything that is wrong with the current system in college football.

With that being said, I am slowing warming to the idea of Jimmy Clausen. When I look at him as objectively as I can, it seems all the numbers and tools are there.

Here is what I see (I hope) happening on draft day: If Clausen is not there, draft one of the big 4 OTs or Williams at NT. But if he is there, draft him and immediately trade (or draft him with this conditional trade already in place) the second round pick to the Ravens for Gaither.

It's a dream and a wish, but if this scenario were to work out, the Bills would address two major needs with essentially two top-of-draft picks (or first round picks) in this draft.

Thoughts?

P.S. I’ve been a reader of the Stadium Wall for years and thoroughly enjoy reading all (most) of you, it’s always fun. But this is my first ever post, so be gentle.

First, without Googling it, do you know Gaither's first name? If not, I think we're done here. Second, have you ever seen him play? If both of those are a yes, then what do you know about his work ethic and his contract situation? Do they remind you of Jason Peters at all?

Welcome to the posting world, CSBill.

Clausen isn't my favorite choice, but I do think he is the best person for the Bills at #9 besides a Okung or Bulaga.

The board has been filled with hopes of Gaither. I'd be happy with him for a second round pick if the Bills already have a reasonable extension lined up after a trade would occur.

I think your spot on with the fact that a quarterback and OT are major needs and Gaither would be the best option available possibly with a 2nd round pick. And, Clausen is the 2nd best quarterback in this class. He is good value at #9 if his college game translates into the NFL.

By conviction, I'm a Notre Dame hater – they represent everything that is wrong with the current system in college football.

Thoughts?

P.S. I've been a reader of the Stadium Wall for years and thoroughly enjoy reading all (most) of you, it's always fun. But this is my first ever post, so be gentle.

First, without Googling it, do you know Gaither's first name? If not, I think we're done here. Second, have you ever seen him play? If both of those are a yes, then what do you know about his work ethic and his contract situation? Do they remind you of Jason Peters at all?

Yeah, they do remind me of Peters a bit. Both guys are among the absolute best in the league and are (were in Peters' case) seriously underpaid, but the similarities end there. The Ravens have a real front office and are going to find a way to keep Gaither right there in Baltimore. And even if Gaither were available, I can't see the Bills giving him the Peters - level contract that he - deservedly - wants.

Welcome, CSBill. Not everyone is as pretentious as some I could mention. "First name?" "We're done here." Jeez. Anyway, here's to your first post, here's to many more.

As you can see, I totally disagree that Gaither is available. The Ravens are too smart to let him go. However, I do think the odds of QB and then LT, or LT and then ... something else, QB, NT, LB, even WR? ... are pretty good.

Thoughts?

Logic says Clausen isn't going to slip past Cleveland. It's a pretty obvious pick for Holmgen. He'll want his guy to build around, not a washed up Jake Delhomme. Clausen will be a starter from day one.

Logic says Clausen isn't going to slip past Cleveland. It's a pretty obvious pick for Holmgen. He'll want his guy to build around, not a washed up Jake Delhomme. Clausen will be a starter from day one.

This has been rehashed many times.

Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren was asked about Clausen on Sunday and he responded: "I wish I liked him more," according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. "You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high," Holmgren said. "But it would be hard for me [to take him]."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...est-to-say.html

Welcome CSBill...I agree with you 100% If we could swing a trade for Gaither with pick 2 we could easily take Clausen in Round 1. The key is to fill the LT position and if we can get our franchise quarterback this year while strengthening our O-line we could be cooking with gas. I think that cooking with gas thing might be a little outdated...

This has been rehashed many times.

Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren was asked about Clausen on Sunday and he responded: "I wish I liked him more," according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. "You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high," Holmgren said. "But it would be hard for me [to take him]."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...est-to-say.html

False, those comments were reported on in the Cleveland Plain Dealer on March 21st, not this past Sunday...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...and_browns.html

Holmgren has met with Clausen and those comments were definitely put out there as a smokecreen. This isn't Holmgren's first time at the rodeo.

Yeah, they do remind me of Peters a bit. Both guys are among the absolute best in the league and are (were in Peters' case) seriously underpaid, but the similarities end there. The Ravens have a real front office and are going to find a way to keep Gaither right there in Baltimore. And even if Gaither were available, I can't see the Bills giving him the Peters - level contract that he - deservedly - wants.

Welcome, CSBill. Not everyone is as pretentious as some I could mention. "First name?" "We're done here." Jeez. Anyway, here's to your first post, here's to many more.

As you can see, I totally disagree that Gaither is available. The Ravens are too smart to let him go. However, I do think the odds of QB and then LT, or LT and then ... something else, QB, NT, LB, even WR? ... are pretty good.

Note CSBill, Thurman#1 will often use "IMHO" when there is nothing "H" whatsoever about his "O". He's also still in love with Jason Peters (to almost a scary degree), and has trouble making an argument without referencing profootballfocus.com. This "here's to your first post" will also likely be the nicest post you get from him, so take it and run.

In reference to my first comment, I merely meant that this is no different than the Tony Scheffler and Pisa Tinoisamoa situations and others like it - people who have never seen the guy play here a rumor and suddenly start clamoring for him because he feels a need. I'm reminded of a multi-page Scheffler thread where I asked if anyone had seen the guy play, then nobody responded for hours. I don't think it's any different here. Whether Thurman#1 would like to admit it or not, Peters had (has) a problem staying motivated. This was pretty obvious when he returned from his holdout what, 30 pounds overweight?, and used the rest of the season to get back into playing shape. But I'd rather not make this into yet another Peters thread so I'll stop there. The word on Gaither is, well, he's not available, but also that he has a poor work ethic and could fold when he sees the big bucks. If you're going to be paying your franchise LT $8-10M/year you should at least be secure that he's going to do the job well.

With Delhomme set to make $7M this year, do you think the Browns would want to invest that much $$$ into the QB position this year? Clausen, if picked #5 overall, will get paid around $8M-$9M/year with a pretty hefty signing bonus to boot.

I just can't see them doing that.