whitner trade talks

rpcolosi

The Ashton Youbouty comment just kills the credibility....

Youbouty was a RFA in the market and teams could have had him, if they chose to.

I agree...what a stupid comment...nothing against Youboty (who I like), but the writer obviously is just trying to fill space... :unsure:

The Ashton Youbouty comment just kills the credibility....

Youbouty was a RFA in the market and teams could have had him, if they chose to.

Yeah, it appears Blunda blundered.

Not trying to seem thin-skinned, but we're pretty strong @ RB, LB, RDE and 'teamers' Lindell, Moorman and KR's.

didn't see this posted, so if it is, please delete.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/0...e-possibilities

Youbouty is the block? Why would anyone give us anything for him? I like him and he's a solid nickel or dime CB, but he is hurt every season. Then again, didn't we get a 7th for Ko Simpson? I guess anything is possible.

Chan Gailey called George wilson a backup in one of his interviews. I don't think Whitner is going anywhere. Whitner's problem is that he is moved around to much. He hasn't been in the same position two years in a row. He has played CB, SS, and FS pending on injuries. It isn't good for his career.

Mckelvin, Byrd, Whitner, Mcgee is a #1 pass defense if you ask me.

Chan Gailey called George wilson a backup in one of his interviews. I don't think Whitner is going anywhere. Whitner's problem is that he is moved around to much. He hasn't been in the same position two years in a row. He has played CB, SS, and FS pending on injuries. It isn't good for his career.

The #1 pass defense in NY state.

Whitners problem is that he has no ball skills and makes "ZERO" impact plays. Basicly he "SUCKS".

Anyone who think Donte isn't a great SS is ridiculous and anyone bashing our secondary hasn't watched a Bills game lately...y'all make me ill with the horrible comments...seriously want to vommit...but after reading I just thank my lucky stars nobody on this board is with the FO lol...jokes...

This is true, Kota. When I read it a few weeks ago it jumped off the page at me, and I was somewhat surprised that there was hardly a mention of this quote on our board in the days following.

BUT, you have to ask what the quote means (what Gailey intended). Remember the nice things Gailey said about Marshawn and it seems pretty clear that the Bills have been shopping him.

Consider this. Maybe Gailey wants to project Whitner as a starter to preserve his trade value. If he publicly said that Whitner was a backup...well it might not necessarily damage Whitner's trade value but it certainly wouldn't help it. At this juncture, Gailey has everything to gain and nothing to lose by suggesting that Whitner is his starter.

The way I see Whitner is, if we can't get a 4th or higher for him keep him. There is no use trading away a more then capable starting SS. Now is Whinter a difference maker like he should have according to were he was drafted, no but that doesn't mean he isn't a capable NFL player.

If we get a 5th or lower for Whitner why bother its not worth giving away a guy who provides a lot of depth for our secondary. BUT I doubt that any team is going to take on his money for his production and give up more then a 5th round choice for him. If we can get a 4th or higher pull the trigger because that sort of upper mid round pick could develop and contribute to the team down the line.

Odds are we keep him and I wouldn't be too mad if we did.

I'll second this, and those comments made when Gailey took over and was attempting to quell the trade rumors that "Whitner did everything that was asked of him (by the prior regime)" hints (atleast to me) that he was asked to do things that did not work to his advantage solely as a player.

For instance, playing defensive roles where he was not in a position to be in the limelight, etc. His skill and ability may have negated an offensive player, but not one where everyone would gasp and shout "go DON-TE", etc.

There are a couple of players currently on our roster that I think deserve a better look with greater support, clarified roles, etc. Two of those players are Trent Edwards and Donte Whitner.

Anyone who think Donte isn't a great SS is ridiculous and anyone bashing our secondary hasn't watched a Bills game lately...y'all make me ill with the horrible comments...seriously want to vommit...but after reading I just thank my lucky stars nobody on this board is with the FO lol...jokes...

How many interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries does he get. Hardly any. He is just a mediocore player.