New Jersey Teachers Union

.. queue the defendants of the system

I have no problem with the "joke," although it's not professional and union-typical. The bigger issue is the rest of the usual union tactics. Here's a gov trying to put his fiscal house in order. Guess what: That comes with pain.

I have no problem with the "joke," although it's not professional and union-typical. The bigger issue is the rest of the usual union tactics. Here's a gov trying to put his fiscal house in order. Guess what: That comes with pain.

The reference wasn't about the joke, but about NJ finally exposing the noose around the state's neck.

The reference wasn't about the joke, but about NJ finally exposing the noose around the state's neck.

You and me are on the same page. I was piling on--not arguing with you. The article leads with the tactless joke when the rest of the memo is much more offensive.

As sad as the memo and message are, I fear that one could substitute the name of any state in the nation in place of NJ and be on the mark when it comes to narrowly focused objectives that ignore the greater good issues.

While serving as high school principal, then later as Superintendent of Schools, I recall being threatened many times by union officials and members that they would withhold letters of reference for graduating seniors, stop coaching teams, boycott parent meetings, etc., until such time as the contract was settled. Classless tactics by classless people.

I would much prefer that teachers went on strike and thus had to declare publically and very personally their positions on issues.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...on_AboveLEFTTop

A new report from the Empire Center for New York State Policy found that New York public schools added 15,000 teachers between 2000 and 2009, even though enrollment fell by 121,000 students over the same period. New York City, home to the nation's largest school system, added 7,000 teachers and 4,000 nonteaching professionals (guidance counselors, administrators, nurses) even as its enrollment was decreasing by 63,000 kids, according to state data.

As sad as the memo and message are, I fear that one could substitute the name of any state in the nation in place of NJ and be on the mark when it comes to narrowly focused objectives that ignore the greater good issues.

While serving as high school principal, then later as Superintendent of Schools, I recall being threatened many times by union officials and members that they would withhold letters of reference for graduating seniors, stop coaching teams, boycott parent meetings, etc., until such time as the contract was settled. Classless tactics by classless people.

I would much prefer that teachers went on strike and thus had to declare publically and very personally their positions on issues.

Oh, but "both sides agreed to the contract". :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The people of NJ have spoken.

April 21 (Bloomberg) -- New Jersey voters rejected a majority of school budgets for the first time in more than three decades, defeating a record 59 percent of the plans as districts sought to raise the highest property taxes in the U.S.

Voters shot down 315 of the 537 proposals, according to the New Jersey School Boards Association. The last time more than half of the proposals failed was in 1976, when 56 percent were rejected, according to the group. Budgets were voted down yesterday in districts including Ridgewood, Edison and Teaneck.

Residents fed up with rising taxes and stung by the U.S. recession used yesterday’s elections to reject the one area of government spending over which they have a direct vote, school expenses, said Brigid Harrison, a law and science professor at Montclair State University. The results may prove a “game- changer” for Republican Governor Chris Christie as he seeks to usher his budget past the Democrat-led Legislature, she said.

“This is absolutely a clear message voters were sending that they support the governor in his efforts to shrink government spending,” Harrison said. “It’s definitely a win in the tally column for him. It was such a resounding rejection that it was actually the exception for one to pass.”

Voters in Hudson County approved spending plans in Hoboken and Jersey City and rejected North Bergen’s proposal. In Mercer County, Princeton’s budget passed with 67 percent of the vote, while Hamilton Township’s failed. In Essex County, plans passed for Millburn, Bloomfield and Glen Ridge and failed in Cedar Grove. Results were posted on the county clerks’ Web sites.

‘Watershed Moment’

Most of New Jersey’s school districts proposed increasing local levies to fund spending plans, after Christie, who took office Jan. 19, said he would slash their aid in the budget he proposed last month. Christie had urged citizens to reject budgets in districts where teachers didn’t accept pay freezes to deal with his cuts.

“Yesterday’s election is, I believe, a watershed moment for New Jersey,” Christie told reporters today. “Our children and our families can no longer afford a government that wishes its problems away or ignores them.”

Good for him.

Imagine how they'd vote if they REALLY knew what was going on...

You're giving to much credit to the masses. Aint gonna happen. Look who's teaching them. Thing's arent going to change. Sorry to sound like a " We're !@#$ed kinda guy" but we are.

The media, schools, etc. Face it we're !@#$ed.

You should know this......

You're giving to much credit to the masses. Aint gonna happen. Look who's teaching them. Thing's arent going to change. Sorry to sound like a " We're !@#$ed kinda guy" but we are.

The media, schools, etc. Face it we're !@#$ed.

You should know this......

I do know this. That's why I used the word "imagine"...