Homeschool and Football?

Okay, I'm a vehement advocate of Homeschool but refuse to pull my oldest son out of the socialized public school system based on scholarship opportunities like his football/sport playing ability...so I've been racking my brain about what could be done?

I have this crazy idea that I haven't heard anything about before...but want to develop...

First I want to organize all the parents that have or would want to provide homeschooling for thier children...then on donation basis first and then fight for state money to support a football team for homeschooled children...I would want to get them put into the public division to compete against HS teams across the state...I have a few parents that would coach the team...state laws specify that if a child is homeschooled many parents are entitled to around 1000 dollars per year from the government to purchase materials...I would think that most parents do not even utilize that money...and if they all fought for that money they should be able to spend enough to fund a football team...if they compete against other HS teams...you could easily recieve atheletic scholarships for standout players...with the revenue from ticket sales you could fund other sports as well...

what do you think?

the socialized public school system

Well at least you understand how things work in this country.

fight for state money to support a football team for homeschooled children

:rolleyes: Maybe not.

.. ok point made, I'll try to leave this thread alone now.

Well at least you understand how things work in this country.

:rolleyes: Maybe not.

.. ok point made, I'll try to leave this thread alone now.

Homeschooled children are allowed tax money already...read the state laws...this is true because it is mandated that your children recieve some kind of schooling and that is all the truency laws...when they mandated it, they have to provide you an opportunity to recieve tax dollars for other methods of educating your child...and they do...

Okay, I'm a vehement advocate of Homeschool but refuse to pull my oldest son out of the socialized public school system based on scholarship opportunities like his football/sport playing ability...so I've been racking my brain about what could be done?

I have this crazy idea that I haven't heard anything about before...but want to develop...

First I want to organize all the parents that have or would want to provide homeschooling for thier children...then on donation basis first and then fight for state money to support a football team for homeschooled children...I would want to get them put into the public division to compete against HS teams across the state...I have a few parents that would coach the team...state laws specify that if a child is homeschooled many parents are entitled to around 1000 dollars per year from the government to purchase materials...I would think that most parents do not even utilize that money...and if they all fought for that money they should be able to spend enough to fund a football team...if they compete against other HS teams...you could easily recieve atheletic scholarships for standout players...with the revenue from ticket sales you could fund other sports as well...

what do you think?

Doesn't the school near you allow home-schooled students in the district to try out for sports teams?

Homeschooled children are allowed tax money already...read the state laws...this is true because it is mandated that your children recieve some kind of schooling and that is all the truency laws...when they mandated it, they have to provide you an opportunity to recieve tax dollars for other methods of educating your child...and they do...

Very good, I understand.

Sorry though, I can't say I have any ideas or thoughts or anything to help on finding you organization or funding you'll need for this sports program. Wish I could help, but I have nothing to offer there. I'll just try not to get in the way again by picking fights that don't need to be picked.

Though I will say, the best athlete I've ever known in my life was home-schooled. He did the same, in high school he transferred to public school purely to be able to play sports.

Doesn't the school near you allow home-schooled students in the district to try out for sports teams?

Unfortunately they do not...I am not sure about the districts in RI where I want to start this is...I'll have to look into that out there...in my district here they say that a student must at least be enrolled in the district school for half of his credits to be eligible to play for the sports teams

Very good, I understand.

Sorry though, I can't say I have any ideas or thoughts or anything to help on finding you organization or funding you'll need for this sports program. Wish I could help, but I have nothing to offer there. I'll just try not to get in the way again by picking fights that don't need to be picked.

Though I will say, the best athlete I've ever known in my life was home-schooled. He did the same, in high school he transferred to public school purely to be able to play sports.

But I like fights heheheheheh...sometimes new things come to light in arguments...

First, let me say that the following comments come from a context of my having been in public education in western NY for thirty-six years, the last ten as Superintendent of Schools. With that caveat, I believe that there is no single format for learners; some do well in public schools, some in private, and some in in homeschooling programs. The purpose of education is to develop and encourage learners--English, math, football, whatever the topic. The trick is to find what's best for your child.

Once you make your decisions, you acknowledge there are some things that you will not have in order to have the greater good things that powered your initial decision, e.g., homeschooling often means no participation in the programs of the public schools. That appears unacceptable to you, so maybe you need to examine private school offerings. Look for a private school that "thinks the way you and your family do" with extracurricular programs that you value. Of course, the price of that decision is just that...the price.

Rather than attempt to build a football program from scratch, it appears to me that time and effort might be better "spent" devoted to supporting an academic and extracurricular program that currently exists. Maybe you'll have to move to another area, but if you are as passionate as it appears you are, in terms of building a football program, that shouldn't be a problem in the long run.

I'd reexamine the private school route....

First, let me say that the following comments come from a context of my having been in public education in western NY for thirty-six years, the last ten as Superintendent of Schools. With that caveat, I believe that there is no single format for learners; some do well in public schools, some in private, and some in in homeschooling programs. The purpose of education is to develop and encourage learners--English, math, football, whatever the topic. The trick is to find what's best for your child.

Once you make your decisions, you acknowledge there are some things that you will not have in order to have the greater good things that powered your initial decision, e.g., homeschooling often means no participation in the programs of the public schools. That appears unacceptable to you, so maybe you need to examine private school offerings. Look for a private school that "thinks the way you and your family do" with extracurricular programs that you value. Of course, the price of that decision is just that...the price.

Rather than attempt to build a football program from scratch, it appears to me that time and effort might be better "spent" devoted to supporting an academic and extracurricular program that currently exists. Maybe you'll have to move to another area, but if you are as passionate as it appears you are, in terms of building a football program, that shouldn't be a problem in the long run.

I'd reexamine the private school route....

Don't some public schools offer some sort of half-and-half type deal? As in, a kid can go into the high school and take 3 or 4 classes in the morning, but then take 3 or 4 classes at home as well? I think I saw a news clip about a kid that was doing that, google is failing me at this point though. That kind of thing would make kids eligible for high school sports as well, wouldn't it?

what do you think?

Aren't most home schooled kids nerds? Wouldn't their football team really really suck?