Saints shut out local TV station

Chilly

I found this sequence of events pretty interesting:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...eze-out-wwl-tv/

Here's the link that caused the Saints to "Freeze out" their local CBS affiliate:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/E-mail-exc...n-89963922.html

Neither the Saints nor the TV station can afford to lose each other. So, who blinks first?

From what I've heard, Saints PR people have been tools ever since Payton got there. Last season, they decided to do the same thing to Brian Allee-Walsh (who covered the team for the Times-Picayune for DECADES), because they didn't like a story he wrote for NewOrleans.com. That would be like the Bills telling Scott Pitoniak to go away because they don't like TBD.

Luckily for Allee-Walsh, once the playoffs began the league handled credentialing issues instead of the team, which probably wouldn't have given them to him. Believe PFWA also had something to say about the matter.

Also, after perusing a few fan sites, there are apparently some affected season-ticket holders the Saints have NOT contacted.

The media was being completely unreasonable. How dare they ask the Saints to clarify the exact information so they could get it out to their readers. The Saints are World Champions and their scatological leavings are no longer odorous.

Grow up, Saints media department. You're being !@#$ing tools.

The one request from the TV Station that used all caps for certain words was a little unprofessional IMO. However, it should have never gotten that far. The Saints should have immediately given them the information and a statement of what they plan to do for the displaced fans. This is not good for the Saints. It makes them appear petty and uncaring about those fans. JMO

As far as I know the Bills haven't totally cut off WGR. I'm assuming they still send them press releases.

Ah, a great uninformed response...did you read the stories? Or are you one of those who automatically assumes the media is wrong?

I read the articles. I have little respect for the media nowadays. Sorry but posting your email exchange with someone on a website is very unprofessional. The reporter was looking for a response by doing it and well he got one.

The media was being completely unreasonable. How dare they ask the Saints to clarify the exact information so they could get it out to their readers. The Saints are World Champions and their scatological leavings are no longer odorous.

Grow up, Saints media department. You're being !@#$ing tools.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

Man, that's really unprofessional on the station's part to post the e-mail exchange.

Agreed. If I was the Saints, I'd be doing the same thing.

It wasn't like the pertinent info about the construction wasn't available. It seems like the reporter was hounding the guy for minute details just to be a dick. Didn't he have any other stories to cover?

It wasn't like the pertinent info about the construction wasn't available. It seems like the reporter was hounding the guy for minute details just to be a dick. Didn't he have any other stories to cover?

being in new orleans, and a season ticket holder -- WWL is the one that i feel is out of line here.

Its one thing to do a story, its another to parade a new member of the "missing 1200" on TV every night for 2 weeks. The thing is, the renovation was planned, it was relatively known what sections and rows would be effected (maybe not 100% but within a matter of a row or two) for years. Bensel could/should have toned it down a notch, but there is a reason he referred to it as a mini-series. When nothing is changing day to day, it doesnt need daily coverage. Regardless of if the reporter was offended YOU DONT PUBLISH THE EMAILS. He burned the bridge to try to get page views RIGHT NOW. He totally neglected the idea of building a long term relationship. If I had to worry about him doing a "gotcha" story every time he stumbled across a nugget, I wouldnt invite him in either. He has every right to be critical of the saints, but at the same time -- if you want to work hand in hand with the organization you have to show a certain level of respect too.

Since when is sections and rows that are being removed from the stadium, that still have season ticket holders, a minute detail?

Since when is sections and rows that are being removed from the stadium, that still have season ticket holders, a minute detail?

When every one of those people recieved a phone call from the saints. When the story broke weeks ago with those calls going out. It wouldve been easy to just answer the question but at the same time, anyone effected had been notified, for anyone outside those sections, the exact row number is a minute detail.

Here's the link that caused the Saints to "Freeze out" their local CBS affiliate:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/E-mail-exc...n-89963922.html

I'm gonna side with the Saints on this one. The fans should be calling the Saints, not the news to find out if they'll be affected. And anyone who knows how to count would realize 639-641 falls within 635-645.