He Who Controls the Information Controls the World

Or maybe I do and I respect the people who spent all the money and risk to do it to run it how they like. Respecting private enterprise is above your pay grade but not mine.

If you are an ISP owner, why wouldn't you charge the bandwidth hogs more? Their small minority slows it down for the vast majority. That should come at a price. BFD.

This isn't really about bandwidth hogs though. This is about controlling what you can and can't do and can crush other businesses in the process.

For example, Comcast can give their VoIP solution top priority and give services like Skype or Vonage 10kbps -- forcing you to use their VoIP solution or avoid VoIP altogether. Now if that happens, it may be considered anticompetitive and stopped that way...

Also keep in mind that a lot of the infrastructure was paid for by tax payers...

As long as the ISP doesn't screw people for their own financial gain (ie: like the example above), I'm not as concerned with it.

This isn't really about bandwidth hogs though. This is about controlling what you can and can't do and can crush other businesses in the process.

For example, Comcast can give their VoIP solution top priority and give services like Skype or Vonage 10kbps -- forcing you to use their VoIP solution or avoid VoIP altogether. Now if that happens, it may be considered anticompetitive and stopped that way...

Also keep in mind that a lot of the infrastructure was paid for by tax payers...

As long as the ISP doesn't screw people for their own financial gain (ie: like the example above), I'm not as concerned with it.

Also keep in mind that every time you repeat this falsehood, I will call you out on it.

Taxpayers did not fund the infrastructure that is today's Internet. It was funded by a lot of private investors who lost their shirts on it.

Also keep in mind that every time you repeat this falsehood, I will call you out on it.

Taxpayers did not fund the infrastructure that is today's Internet. It was funded by a lot of private investors who lost their shirts on it.

But taxpayers paid Al Gore to invent it...so that's something.

I think he meant the infrastructure bits like phone lines, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, if I recall correctly (and I could be mistaken) many of the mechanisms that bring connectivity to our homes were in part subsidized by public funding.

The only part of the telecom network that had any semblance of taxpayer subsidy is wiring rural homes, schools & libraries that were too remote to economically connect to the regular grid. Those lines are old low speed copper that can barely sustain dial-up.

The Internet that you're witnessing on this page is 99.999% privately financed & built.

It's their f'ing infrastructure. You don't like it. Start your own f'ing ISP or switch ISPs. I wouldn't like it either but guess what? Tough.

I'm pretty sure NBC doesn't run ads for shows on ABC. And last I checked, BMW isn't selling Lexuses. And Apple is not in the business of promoting Windows.

Get real. Comcast (and others) didn't spend all that money to lay waste to their empire by letting their competitors use their bandwidth to undercut them. Also keep this in mind: the commercial (not legal) backlash against this poplicy was so great that they dropped it fast.