Buyer's remorse?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ues-to-heat-up/

I'll start off by saying this is one player I would NOT trade for. Tremendously talented player who played hard and was dominant when he had a contract to play for. Got (over)paid by dumb-dumb Snyder and copped an even bigger ego/attitude. The face-stomper rubbed Shanny the wrong way and now they're gonna unload this guy on a team dumb enough the trade for him.

I find this interesting though because there's no way he takes a pay cut and if the Skins really don't want him, you have to wonder if they'll just cut their losses and release him because I find it hard to imagine any team wanting to pick up that contract. Especially for a guy who is oft-injured and lazy now that he's paid.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL wait till Chicago sees what peppers does now that he got paid

If Haynesworth is traded for a mid-round pick, does that qualify him as the single greatest free agent bust in NFL history?

Haynesworth's pay day was astronomical so I'd have to say yes.

But still, Peppers could have something to say about that.

Time will tell! Lol.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ues-to-heat-up/

I'll start off by saying this is one player I would NOT trade for. Tremendously talented player who played hard and was dominant when he had a contract to play for. Got (over)paid by dumb-dumb Snyder and copped an even bigger ego/attitude. The face-stomper rubbed Shanny the wrong way and now they're gonna unload this guy on a team dumb enough the trade for him.

I find this interesting though because there's no way he takes a pay cut and if the Skins really don't want him, you have to wonder if they'll just cut their losses and release him because I find it hard to imagine any team wanting to pick up that contract. Especially for a guy who is oft-injured and lazy now that he's paid.

I don't remember what his contract was, but I'm guessing it included a large signing bonus. I'd bet there's a team that thinks he's worth a pick and his base contract.

But how much is Washington on the hook for? The new team won't have to pay that much.

Not 100% sure on that. I know there's guaranteed parts and bonuses, etc. It's a big contract to pick up. But I'm sure the uncapped year will have some sort of affect on what the costs of releaseing him/trading him would be. Potential suitors may also require Washington to pick up parts of the contract too. Regardless, there's a lot of money at stake here, lol.

Not 100% sure on that. I know there's guaranteed parts and bonuses, etc. It's a big contract to pick up. But I'm sure the uncapped year will have some sort of affect on what the costs of releaseing him/trading him would be. Potential suitors may also require Washington to pick up parts of the contract too. Regardless, there's a lot of money at stake here, lol.

I've looked around, but can't find anything specifically about signing bonus money. I have found that he was guaranteed 32 million in the first 13 months (contract was signed end of February), so you can take that off the top. Again, depending on the signing bonus, it could bring the contract down to a pretty reasonable level considering his talent.

I've looked around, but can't find anything specifically about signing bonus money. I have found that he was guaranteed 32 million in the first 13 months (contract was signed end of February), so you can take that off the top. Again, depending on the signing bonus, it could bring the contract down to a pretty reasonable level considering his talent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3940991

$41 million guaranteed.

League sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that a $29 million "poison pill" in the fifth year of Haynesworth's contract effectively makes it a four-year deal worth $48 million. The Redskins would owe Haynesworth a lump sum of $29 million in salary and bonuses in 2013, the fifth year of the deal. It is unlikely the team will pay the full commitment of $100 million over seven years unless the contract is re-negotiated. Haynesworth will receive $41 million in guaranteed money.

4 years for $48 million?

That's not that bad...? :angry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939011

During the first 13 months of the contract, Haynesworth will earn approximately $32 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3940991

$41 million guaranteed.

League sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that a $29 million "poison pill" in the fifth year of Haynesworth's contract effectively makes it a four-year deal worth $48 million. The Redskins would owe Haynesworth a lump sum of $29 million in salary and bonuses in 2013, the fifth year of the deal. It is unlikely the team will pay the full commitment of $100 million over seven years unless the contract is re-negotiated. Haynesworth will receive $41 million in guaranteed money.

4 years for $48 million?

That's not that bad...? :angry:

I've seen that, but I'm not sure if all of that guaranteed money is a signing bonus. It may be just money that is guaranteed in the contract. If it's a signing bonus, Washington will have to pay, but if it's just part of the contract it will follow him to a new team.

Regardless of the exact numbers, with the 32 million gone for the first 13 months and whatever additional signing bonus gets taken off, I don't think Washington will have too much trouble moving him if they are intent on making it happen. They're probably not going to get a 1st round pick, but if they want to settle for a 3rd or less he'd be gone in a day, I bet.

I don't remember what his contract was, but I'm guessing it included a large signing bonus. I'd bet there's a team that thinks he's worth a pick and his base contract.

The brunt of his money was front loaded in his insane contract. He has already received a large chunk of his astronomical contrat. There is a certain type of person who will play hard no matter how much or little he is paid. Haynesworth does not fall in that category. One of the reasons, among many, why Shanahan wants him off the roster is that the majority of the players in the clubhouse do not like him and don't want to be associated with this self-centered and prickly person.

Haynesworth is a bad character. He fought a teammate in college. He fought a teammate in the pros. He stepped on Andre Gurode's head.

In 2007, he was fined $1,000 and placed on 30 days’ probation for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour. Only four days later his reckless driving caused another car to spin out of control and crash. The other driver, a 25-year-old man, ended up needing a new hip.

Haynesworth has already worn out his welcome after just one year with the Redskins.

Please keep this piece of schit away from my favorite football team. Unless you want the Bills to acquire the defensive lineman equivalent to Marshawn Lynch.

Haynesworth is a bad character. He fought a teammate in college. He fought a teammate in the pros. He stepped on Andre Gurode's head.

In 2007, he was fined $1,000 and placed on 30 days’ probation for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour. Only four days later his reckless driving caused another car to spin out of control and crash. The other driver, a 25-year-old man, ended up needing a new hip.

Haynesworth has already worn out his welcome after just one year with the Redskins.

Please keep this piece of schit away from my favorite football team. Unless you want the Bills to acquire the defensive lineman equivalent to Marshawn Lynch.

I have to admire the way Shanahan is handling the very stubborn Haynesworth. He is establishing the fact that he is the HC and he determines how players are going to be used; not the other way around. Last year, Haynesworth was constantly battling the DC, Blanche, on how he wanted him to play. The DC wanted Haynesworth to play a more disciplined style, lane control, while Haynesworth wanted to free lance. Shanahan is smart enough and tough enough to establish authority very early in his tenure. This was a team in which star players would do end arounds to the owner when there were player/coach conflicts. That is not going to happen with the new coaching regime. I'm sure Clinton Portis is observant enough to realize that the old way (working outside the team structure) is not going to work anymore.