Airlines begin charging for CARRY ONS

You are paying the airline to transport your bag. Why should it be cheaper to transport it in the main cabin rather than the cargo hold?

Umm, because they don't have to hire baggage handlers to do anything with my carry-on bag...?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, or enforce ANY rule consistently without exception. but youre right, id love to see them make everyone put their bag into the metal box before boarding.

They have strted doing this recently at DFW as the airlines seem to be getting a bit more hard core about enforcing rules. At the end of the day though the airlines treat thmeselves as a commodity and consumers respond accordingly. The only service differentiation is for frequent fliers. The price between a coach ticket and first class is far to much to consider outright purchase of a first class ticket "service differentiation." Offer me the following and I would gladly pay $100 more per ticket (I travel frequently):

Legroom

Assured / reserved overhead bin space

fast line through security (sort of get this today with FF status)

dedicated and responsive customer service (sort of get this today with FF status)

the ability to have flights changed if a seat is available - without hassle and without extra cost (essentially assured standby or the Southwest model)

internet service on the flight

Flight attendants that actually give a crap about customer service

For the times I've flown (nothing more than a four-day trip), I have never -- NEVER -- checked a single item. If it doesn't fit in my carry-on or my laptop bag, it doesn't go with me.

And any airline that decides to start charging for carry-ons will lose my business as long as there's even one other carrier flying that route.

Once a year...direct to Myrtle Beach.

As for charging for carry ons, that's fine with me if it will stop the idiots who drag six suitcases on the plane with them because they don't want to wait for baggage claim or are trying to avoid the checked fees.

I flew them to Myrtle as well. BTW - KD, flying into Wilmington direct on USAir and renting a car for the drive to MB worked out very nicely. Wilimington is a very easy airport to fly in/out of and the drive took about 1.5 hours. Not too bad.

I flew them to Myrtle as well. BTW - KD, flying into Wilmington direct on USAir and renting a car for the drive to MB worked out very nicely. Wilimington is a very easy airport to fly in/out of and the drive took about 1.5 hours. Not too bad.

Nice...hope you guys had fun. We'll definitely keep that in mind as an option for future trips. If you are staying/playing in North Myrtle, the delta is probably less than an hour.

On this FedEx thing...people actually do that? Do you have to box the bag or do they have some sort of shipping label that you can use for a bag? I'm going back to Cali in Sept. and it'd be a lot easier to travel without the bags.

Box. Either stuff your bag in the box, or just pack everything in the box.

Semi-thread jack, but I'm moving out to Iowa this summer and I am going to ship alot of my stuff because it is just so much cheaper than renting a truck and putting gas in the thing. Plus, its alot less work and like you guys have said, you never know if the airlines are going to lose your luggage, but Fed Ex or UPS won't

I did the Spirit flight to Mrytle last week. Good flight, but the airline is definitely "low cost", thats for sure. Truly a bus with wings.

Spirit is luxury compared to the time we took 'Hooters Air' to MB. :unsure:

Yeah I've used it on many flights ... problem is that until you board you have no knowledge of whether you will have it. I know American is working towards having it on all flights.

It would be great if these planes had plug/outlets for your laptops, as well. When I flew on a NetsJet charter flight to the west coast, we had outlets and it was great; didn't have to worry about my laptop dying.

You know what would really help cut down on the amount of stuff people bring as carry ons? How about making sure nobody steals your stuff? How about making sure I get my bag?

Half the crap I lug onto the plane when I travel is not because I feel like I need it for the flight, but because I know anything I pack in my bag is likely to be taken by any of the people who have access to my bag when I'm not around and feel like they can take whatever they want. Or my bag gets mishandled and ends up in Timbuktu and I'm stuck without the things I need when I arrive. If your stuff gets lost or stolen the airlines absolve themselves of any responsibility and break out some arcane legal document showing that even though you lost $1200 of stuff they're only liable for $100 IF and only IF you fill out the required paperwork and wait 8 months. There's absolutely no incentive for the airlines to make sure they aren't hiring outright thieves or to do a better job making sure my bag and I go to the same place at the same time.

If I had any confidence that my stuff would actually arrive intact I might check a bag. But instead I get charged $50 for the privilege of making my things available to sticky-fingered employees that evidently have no oversight from their employers and I get to spin the lucky wheel O' "where the hell is my bag?" No thanks.....

It would be great if these planes had plug/outlets for your laptops, as well. When I flew on a NetsJet charter flight to the west coast, we had outlets and it was great; didn't have to worry about my laptop dying.

Most American planes have dc plug ins (cigarette lighter) so if you carry a converter you are good to go.

You know what would really help cut down on the amount of stuff people bring as carry ons? How about making sure nobody steals your stuff? How about making sure I get my bag?

Half the crap I lug onto the plane when I travel is not because I feel like I need it for the flight, but because I know anything I pack in my bag is likely to be taken by any of the people who have access to my bag when I'm not around and feel like they can take whatever they want. Or my bag gets mishandled and ends up in Timbuktu and I'm stuck without the things I need when I arrive. If your stuff gets lost or stolen the airlines absolve themselves of any responsibility and break out some arcane legal document showing that even though you lost $1200 of stuff they're only liable for $100 IF and only IF you fill out the required paperwork and wait 8 months. There's absolutely no incentive for the airlines to make sure they aren't hiring outright thieves or to do a better job making sure my bag and I go to the same place at the same time.

If I had any confidence that my stuff would actually arrive intact I might check a bag. But instead I get charged $50 for the privilege of making my things available to sticky-fingered employees that evidently have no oversight from their employers and I get to spin the lucky wheel O' "where the hell is my bag?" No thanks.....

Really? I admit, I don't fly very much... Maybe 2-3 times a year at most. I ALWAYS check my luggage... Maybe not breakable stuff like electronics though... I never had anything lost or stolen... Even misplaced! Knock on wood.

Maybe I just have crappy stuff. :rolleyes: