Airlines begin charging for CARRY ONS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no joke. Spirit Air charging $45 for a carry on...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63540720100406

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100406/ap_on_...us_carry_on_fee

MINNEAPOLIS – Spirit Airlines will charge as much as $45 each way for a carry-on bag, adding a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free. Spirit said it will add measuring devices at the gates to determine which carry-ons are free and which ones will incur the charge.

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.

Has anyone actually flown Spirit?

Once a year...direct to Myrtle Beach.

As for charging for carry ons, that's fine with me if it will stop the idiots who drag six suitcases on the plane with them because they don't want to wait for baggage claim or are trying to avoid the checked fees.

Once a year...direct to Myrtle Beach.

As for charging for carry ons, that's fine with me if it will stop the idiots who drag six suitcases on the plane with them because they don't want to wait for baggage claim or are trying to avoid the checked fees.

2 weeks ago, my gf and i traveled to the Caribbean. we packed all of our stuff, for both of us, into ONE carry on bag.

why should I be punished for something I should probably be rewarded for?!? i could see it if they were charging for a second carry on, since the policy to allow people to bring on a carry on suitcase AND a "personal bag" is what has caused this problem.

but if i showed up at the airport with 1 carry on bag TOTAL for 2 people, how do you justify charging me $40 for that?

2 weeks ago, my gf and i traveled to the Caribbean. we packed all of our stuff, for both of us, into ONE carry on bag.

why should I be punished for something I should probably be rewarded for?!? i could see it if they were charging for a second carry on, since the policy to allow people to bring on a carry on suitcase AND a "personal bag" is what has caused this problem.

but if i showed up at the airport with 1 carry on bag TOTAL for 2 people, how do you justify charging me $40 for that?

You are paying the airline to transport your bag. Why should it be cheaper to transport it in the main cabin rather than the cargo hold?

I'd like to see them actually enforce the carry on size rules (you know, has to fit in that little metal thing that everyone ignores); meaning no large items in the cabin at all.

You are paying the airline to transport your bag. Why should it be cheaper to transport it in the main cabin rather than the cargo hold?

I'd like to see them actually enforce the carry on size rules (you know, has to fit in that little metal thing that everyone ignores); meaning no large items in the cabin at all.

agreed, or enforce ANY rule consistently without exception. but youre right, id love to see them make everyone put their bag into the metal box before boarding.