John Maynard Keynes Quotes

For those of you who don't know who he was: Wiki

And, I will begin with an excerpt from that above link:

In 1999, Time magazine included Keynes in their list of the 100 most important and influential people of the 20th century, commenting that; "His radical idea that governments should spend money they don't have may have saved capitalism".[1]

So, um, how's that working out for us? See what I mean? It gets better:

"The day is not far off when the economic problem will take the back seat where it belongs, and the arena of the heart and the head will be occupied or reoccupied, by our real problems - the problems of life and of human relations, of creation and behavior and religion."

Hmm... Kinda like: "Let's ignore the economy and take a year to pass an 'historic' health care bill that doesn't cut health care costs, adds demand to the insurance market, doesn't increase health care supply"...apparently because.... "the problems of life and human relations are more important, and, the economy should take a back seat."

How about this old chestnut:

"The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."

Well, what do you know? Increasing the deficit = Inflation...even old (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#Keynes would have to agree...Therefore, Increasing the Deficit = Inflation = ? Confiscation ? Nah, I am just being paranoid. This isn't about redistribution of wealth through the utter destruction of capital, or the destruction of the capitalist system...of course not. <_<

And of course, my favorite. Is there a finer example of justification of selfish behavior than this?

"Long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."

Great, so that means it's OK to screw future generations(like mine) over with ridiculous debt now, because: Hey! We are all gonna be dead anyway! How "Me Generation"! How Baby Boomer!

John Maynard Keynes, ladies and gentlemen. Aren't we all glad he is dead? Oh, wait, dammit, Paul Krugman is still alive! :wallbash: Great, so we still have a guy around who will tell us that Stagflation is a great idea...because, of course, "The day is not far off when the economic problem will take the back seat where it belongs"

To quote Hancock: "All you people still thinking that Keynesian Economics is a good idea...You're all idiots!"

Oh, and Link to the quotes...for rfeynmann...since google is soo hard. :lol:

But when Keynesian economics was taught to me in school, I was told that it was universally accepted.

I took Macro and Micro in high school, not college, and when I did I had a teacher who was:

1. Perhaps the biggest D-bag liberal I have ever met, wearing his Go Get Em Ollie North T-shirt once a week

2. a terrible person

3. a horrible coach of one of the teams I was on(we won sectional/states everywhere in every other season but the high school season)

4. the biggest Keynes fan you have ever met, and one hell of a teacher of it

but...

5. went out of his way to fairly teach supply side economics and accurately describe the effects they were having, and even to question his own positions, so one hell of an ECON "professor" all around.

Thank God he was able to do one thing right <_<

I took Macro and Micro in high school, not college, and when I did I had a teacher who was:

1. Perhaps the biggest D-bag liberal I have ever met, wearing his Go Get Em Ollie North T-shirt once a week

2. a terrible person

3. a horrible coach of one of the teams I was on(we won sectional/states everywhere in every other season but the high school season)

4. the biggest Keynes fan you have ever met, and one hell of a teacher of it

but...

5. went out of his way to fairly teach supply side economics and accurately describe the effects they were having, and even to question his own positions, so one hell of an ECON "professor" all around.

Thank God he was able to do one thing right <_<

Yeah, except he wasn't a professor, and the class wasn't at the college level. Are these points meant to strengthen your argument?

Yeah, except he wasn't a professor, and the wasn't at the college level. Are these points meant to strengthen your argument?

Boy nothing gets by you does it. <_<

Perhaps you are unaware, but, at least in my day, it was possible to take college classes in high school. And, instead of me trying to make a nice post about how an otherwise total douche went out of his way to be fair in the classroom and make it about the job, you are choosing to make this about me.

Are you sure you really want to go down this path with me? I can guarantee you won't like where it leads.

Boy nothing gets by you does it. <_<

Perhaps you are unaware, but, at least in my day, it was possible to take college classes in high school. And, instead of me trying to make a nice post about how an otherwise total douche went out of his way to be fair in the classroom and make it about the job, you are choosing to make this about me.

Are you sure you really want to go down this path with me? I can guarantee you won't like where it leads.

Allow me to save you a lot of effort today and bring this full circle early: Big Cat didn't mean it, he was only kidding, and you didn't understand his point, anyway.

Allow me to save you a lot of effort today and bring this full circle early: Big Cat didn't mean it, he was only kidding, and you didn't understand his point, anyway.

no no no.... How many times do I have to tell you? It's called "Irony".

no no no.... How many times do I have to tell you? It's called "Irony".

Like a mother(s) and her young.