Lawn Mowing question - mulching vs. bagging

ACor58

Anyone here have a decent sized lawn (.25 acres or more) - do you mulch or bag?

My lawn is a little shy of a half acre and I have a riding mower. I had a push mower before that. I feel like mulching gives my lawn a greener, healthier look but clumping, stray clippings and the inevitable raking are just a pian in the butt. Have anyone noticed a difference in their lawns appearance if they bag?

I mulch. Never have clumps if the grass is under 2" long. Going back over the clipping clumps cleans it up. You do have mulching blades on the mower?

I do have mulching blades but my rider has a side discahrge. I like to keep the lawn bewteen 3 and 3.5 inches and mow twice a week. The south side of my house gets a lot of sun and if I mow it any shorter it will burn out.

I do have mulching blades but my rider has a side discahrge. I like to keep the lawn bewteen 3 and 3.5 inches and mow twice a week. The south side of my house gets a lot of sun and if I mow it any shorter it will burn out.

Having mulching blades and a side discharge means you aren't mulching. You need to get the plug that closes your deck to mulch properly.

I have about an acre of grass and use Gator blades on my mower. I've never raked anything and I keep my lawn about the same length you do. Mulched grass is food for your lawn.

Having mulching blades and a side discharge means you aren't mulching. You need to get the plug that closes your deck to mulch properly.

I have about an acre of grass and use Gator blades on my mower. I've never raked anything and I keep my lawn about the same length you do. Mulched grass is food for your lawn.

Darins right. The side discharge hole is the reason for the clumping and the raking. Get the plug and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

I have an Ariens rider and as of last year that did not make a mulch plug. I will have to double check and see if they release ond for this year as my rider was a new model as of last year. Thanks.

Mulch...Mulch....Mulch.....

Great for the lawn.

3 things to be aware of.

1. Grass is not too high. 2 - 2 1/2"

2. The grass is not wet or moist

3. A Sharp blade and clean "underbelly" makes all the difference in the world.

No wonder you're a fat-a$$.

Walk behind that mower for 40 minutes and get some exercise!

:thumbsup:

Who said that I am a fat ass? My lawn takes approx 1 hr and 15 minutes to mow. That doesn't include edging, etc. I like to mow once every 4-5 days and with all the rain that we have had the past 2 years it has been a B word to get into a regular routine.

The rider takes me twenty minutes and gives me more time to edge and trim, etc and the results with the 42 inch deck looks much much nicer than a 20 inch push mower.

Anyone else with a rider will tell you that it does a much nicer job.