Bills offered McNabb an extension

Trying is one thing. Succeeding is another. It's time to admit the Bills reputation across the league is barely above the Raiders. McNabb indicated he wanted an extension, and the Bills were willing to do it according to one reference. So he goes to a team that hasn't given him one.

There is no substitute for victory...

The simple solution, which is not an easy solution, is to build and develop your own successful team. The Bills' dismal reputation is well earned. This franchise has been an embarrassment for a long time. It is now time to start making quality personnel decisions that in the long run will make this a serious franchise once again. The expedient free agent route (Dockery, Walker, TO) didn't advance the team's development, it set it back.

The Levy/Brandon involvement on the football side of the operations was very damaging. Hopefully, the Nix/Whaley combination have an understanding in how to rebuild a broken organization.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe it's the first big break this franchise has seen since before the Buffalo Bills kicked off of at the end of the MCM game.

Maybe. People HAVE passed on good QBs before. But it makes me wonder when Shanny and Holmgren evaluate, then move on to Jake Delhomme and an aging all-pro behind the only line worse than ours.

I agree. McNabb did a Brett Farve and wants to play for a divisional rival, that way McNabb can play the Eagles twice a year and have the chance to rub it in the faces of the Eagles management & most importantly the Eagles fans. McNabb took the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl. The Eagles fans are a bunch of ungatreful bastards, before McNabb was drafted, the Eagles were a terrible team. I hope this comes back to bite Philly in the butt and they have a 10 year playoff drought like we have.

I wanted McNabb, yeah. There, I got it out there.

Now, Philadelphia has drastically changed their entire Offensive skilled positions. Their average age has dropped from 30 years old to 23 years old. I compared McNabb, Westbrook, R. Brown and LJ Smith to Kolb, McCoy, Maclin and Celek.

Even if you compare just the QB and RB it is a difference of 31 years old to 23 years old. That is crazy. It is 5 years experience, not many games...to 20+ years of experience, while making the Playoffs many times and a Super Bowl once.

I kind of feel bad for Philly fans. I wonder how this will effect them? Will Andy Reid look like an idiot? <_<

They traded Sheldon Brown and linebacker Chris Gocong to CLE, too. Dumped Westbrook IIRC.

Saved paying McNabb a 6.2M roster bonus.

Looks like they are getting their financial ducks in order, for the uncertainty ahead...which lines up with the predictions going back months, that older vets would be facing the axe. I won't criticize PHIs' decisions - as others mention, they have bee a competitive franchise for a good number of years.

I wanted McNabb, yeah. There, I got it out there.

Now, Philadelphia has drastically changed their entire Offensive skilled positions. Their average age has dropped from 30 years old to 23 years old. I compared McNabb, Westbrook, R. Brown and LJ Smith to Kolb, McCoy, Maclin and Celek.

Even if you compare just the QB and RB it is a difference of 31 years old to 23 years old. That is crazy. It is 5 years experience, not many games...to 20+ years of experience, while making the Playoffs many times and a Super Bowl once.

I kind of feel bad for Philly fans. I wonder how this will effect them? Will Andy Reid look like an idiot? <_<

Agree with you on all counts - they are definitely going younger.

But I don't feel bad for Philly fans. McNabb was a huge part of their success in the past 10 years and they didn't want him anymore. They've got their wish. I hope they thought about what they wanted, because they've got it now.

Going to the Bills is like being sent down to the minor leagues. As long as there is anywhere else to go, who wants to do that? Bribery won't work. the better players have plenty of cash. they can choose where they play. and b lo is at the bottom of everyone's list. We get the players no one else wants. Schobel would be smart to retire. this franchise is lousy.

Posts like these are what make TSW great.

The Eagles just got a whole lot better. Westbrook was shot and the young guys are more than ready. Kolb looked amazing in limited action and has now been in the system for a few years. LJ Smith was never good--Celek has been awesome. And the line is good.

The Eagles made some smart moves in the last year. Maybe a step back in 2010 but a huge step forward for years to come.

There was no point trading for McNabb if he wasn't going to sign an extension. And he made it fairly clear that he would not sign one with either the Raiders or the Bills. He recognizes he is in the tail end of his career and is not looking for a team just beginning a rebuild. I don't blame him at all.

The Eagles just got a whole lot better. Westbrook was shot and the young guys are more than ready. Kolb looked amazing in limited action and has now been in the system for a few years. LJ Smith was never good--Celek has been awesome. And the line is good.

The Eagles made some smart moves in the last year. Maybe a step back in 2010 but a huge step forward for years to come.

I agree - they acted, with respect to what's going down in the NFL in the coming years.

When Favre & Green Bay management couldn't settle their differences, Favre wanted to be traded to the Vikings, but GB wouldn't allow Favre to go to a division rival. So Favre went to the Jets for a year, retired for the 27th time, came back again and was able to sign with the Vikings on his own. Favre got his revenge last year, when the Favre led Vikings beat the Packers twice in the regular season. McNabb did a Brett Farve and wanted to play for a divisional rival, that way McNabb can play the Eagles twice a year and have the chance to rub it in the faces of the Eagles management & most importantly the Eagles fans. McNabb took the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl. The Eagles fans never liked McNabb in the first place. The Eagles fans are a bunch of ungrateful bastards, before McNabb was drafted, the Eagles were a terrible team. I hope this comes back to bite Philly in the butt and they have a 10 year playoff drought like we have.

This article proves that the franchise is not a disgrace because Donovan McNabb would not come to the Bills because the the franchise is a disgrace?

Who knows what the sources Jason Cole contacted know or don't know, but anyone thinking we could land McNabb without paying a significant premium were deluding themselves anyway.

People here will whine about it regardless of this.

Not me. It's like going past an attractive woman while sitting in a Greyhound bus:

Interesting and tempting,

but the bus ain't stoppin' to pick her up.

So look forward 'cause there ain't no use in lookin' backward.

Trying is one thing. Succeeding is another. It's time to admit the Bills reputation across the league is barely above the Raiders. McNabb indicated he wanted an extension, and the Bills were willing to do it according to one reference. So he goes to a team that hasn't given him one.

There is no substitute for victory...

It's above the Raiders? I would think not.

When Favre & Green Bay management couldn't settle their differences, Favre wanted to be traded to the Vikings, but GB wouldn't allow Favre to go to a division rival. So Favre went to the Jets for a year, retired for the 27th time, came back again and was able to sign with the Vikings on his own. Favre got his revenge last year, when the Favre led Vikings beat the Packers twice in the regular season. McNabb did a Brett Farve and wanted to play for a divisional rival, that way McNabb can play the Eagles twice a year and have the chance to rub it in the faces of the Eagles management & most importantly the Eagles fans. McNabb took the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl. The Eagles fans never liked McNabb in the first place. The Eagles fans are a bunch of ungrateful bastards, before McNabb was drafted, the Eagles were a terrible team. I hope this comes back to bite Philly in the butt and they have a 10 year playoff drought like we have.

I agree with you 100%, I hope McNabb & the Skins beat the Eagles twice a year. But a majority of Bills fans on here don't see the revenge factor in McNabb's decision for not wanting to play in Buffalo, they see it as another failure. I've already read the bitching and moaning "The Bills can't land anyone good' "Nobody wants to come here" "Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL" "Cowher, Shanahan...etc didn't want to come here".... STFU already!!!!!! I wish chatrooms were around back in 1986, that way we could look back at all of the doom and gloomers bitching about when Bill Polian hired Marv Levy, just right after Polian fired Bullough.

Going to the Bills is like being sent down to the minor leagues. As long as there is anywhere else to go, who wants to do that? Bribery won't work. the better players have plenty of cash. they can choose where they play. and b lo is at the bottom of everyone's list. We get the players no one else wants. Schobel would be smart to retire. this franchise is lousy.

You get my vote for #1 Bills fan of 2010.

Until someone else comes up with a more negative diatribe.

I'm glad McNabb went to a division rival. I hope the Eagles go something like 4-12 next season and have to watch McNabb destroy them twice. Is he the most underappreciated by the home-crowd athlete of all time?

I can only imagine if Trent Edwards led the Bills to 5 AFC Championship games and a Superbowl. Sure, we'd all be disappointed that they never won but the man himself would be revered like a demi-god (see Kelly, Jim). I don't think I'll ever understand why Philly fans always loathed McNabb so much.

So, Philly does right by their former player and you hope it comes back to bite them in the butt? What's your logic?

I'm glad McNabb went to a division rival. I hope the Eagles go something like 4-12 next season and have to watch McNabb destroy them twice. Is he the most underappreciated by the home-crowd athlete of all time?

I can only imagine if Trent Edwards led the Bills to 5 AFC Championship games and a Superbowl. Sure, we'd all be disappointed that they never won but the man himself would be revered like a demi-god (see Kelly, Jim). I don't think I'll ever understand why Philly fans always loathed McNabb so much.

Because that tardbot Eagles fan that was in a football uniform, "Shoulderpad S***head" is his name I believe. Throwing a tantrum on national tv when McNabb was drafted.

What I don't get is how and why did McNabb have any say whatsoever. Unless he had a no-trade clause, how in god's name does he dictate where he goes? If the Bills offered the Eagles a 1st round pick vs. the redskins' 2nd and 3rd or whatever, the Eagles would have taken it, no matter what McNabb's personal feelings were about playing in Buffalo. I just don't get how players have such control. Oh well, McNabb is washed up anyways. We would have hated to have him here.

It's pretty simple; Reid wanted to make his QB of the last 11 years happy. You can argue that he shouldn't do that, but that's the kind of guy he is.