Smoking

RU Serious

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do You smell like an ashtray?

• Do
    • Did
    • Never

.."the old soldier leaned back against the rock and drew in the fragrant smoke. It was then that his jangled nerves knew the full virtue of tobacco, the gentle anodyne which stays the failing strength and soothes the worrying brain. He watched the dim blue reek swirling up from him, and he felt the pleasant, aromatic bite upon his palate, while a restful languor crept over his harassed and weary body."

- The Tragedy of the Korosko by A. Conan Doyle, published in The Strand Magazine, May 1897.

.."the old soldier leaned back against the rock and drew in the fragrant smoke. It was then that his jangled nerves knew the full virtue of tobacco, the gentle anodyne which stays the failing strength and soothes the worrying brain. He watched the dim blue reek swirling up from him, and he felt the pleasant, aromatic bite upon his palate, while a restful languor crept over his harassed and weary body."

- The Tragedy of the Korosko by A. Conan Doyle, published in The Strand Magazine, May 1897.

When are we off R&R and due back in the trenches Cincy? :wallbash:

I take it that means you do. I smoke like a chimney, always have and probably always will. But when I grew up Fred Flinstone was pushing Winston's,the desk on the nightly news always had a ashtray, so no wonder I started. No health problems but I bet that little habit has cost me $100,000 over the years.

I voted 'Never' because I was never a true smoker. However, a few years ago I would have or or two when I drank in the right company. I've told the story about my buddy habing a stroke when we were in Vegas. My last cigarette was outside Caesar's while he was in emergency surgery and I was just hoping everything would work out okay.

He and his wife are expecting their first child in October. I'm all done with tobacco.

Tried it when I was a teen.

Please, everyone try your hardest to quit all tobacco.

My father smoked cigarettes from the age of 14 to 34. Switched to pipes and cigars. smoked those until 53. Had a "silent heart attack" and a TIA at 53. Was out of work for 3 months. Quit cold turkey then. At 59 diagnosed with lung cancer -was coughing up blood. First words after the diagnosis were "Son of a B word, I should have never started smoking". Lived for about 18 more months (age 60). Don't want to see anyone else go through that.

I have never smoked a cigarette, cigar, pipe or weed.

I guess because my grandmother lived with us and she was a heavy smoker, so I was around cigarette smoke a lot when I was a kid.

I do'nt mean to change subjects, but I wanted to pose this question to you all.

We all know that smoking can be bad for your health. There are many people out there that do a lot to discourage smoking cigarettes. Yet when it comes to marijuana, a lot of people are clamoring for it to be legalized.

So my question is, what is the difference?

Why do so many people discourage smoking tobacco, and not marijuana?

I have never smoked a cigarette, cigar, pipe or weed.

I guess because my grandmother lived with us and she was a heavy smoker, so I was around cigarette smoke a lot when I was a kid.

I do'nt mean to change subjects, but I wanted to pose this question to you all.

We all know that smoking can be bad for your health. There are many people out there that do a lot to discourage smoking cigarettes. Yet when it comes to marijuana, a lot of people are clamoring for it to be legalized.

So my question is, what is the difference?

Why do so many people discourage smoking tobacco, and not marijuana?

There is no difference. Which is exactly why marijuana should be legal. Both are bad habits, but government shouldn't be in the business of telling us which bad habits are ok or not ok.

I wouldn't encourage people to do either, but marijuana is probably less viscious. Easier to be a recreational user without getting hooked.