Football Outsiders on BB Draft Needs and O-Line

Peter

This is on the ESPN site. Not surprisingly, we had the worst offensive line in terms of pass protection ("disaster"). There also is a interesting comment relative to Clausen at the end of the article with which I agree and consistent with the point I have been trying to make to some on this board - it will not make any difference who the QB is unless and until we signficantly upgrade the line.

Buffalo Bills

Biggest hole: Offensive line

buf.gif

The surprising retirement of offensive tackle [/url]Brad Butler at age 26 left a bad Buffalo line in complete shambles. The Bills currently have 11 offensive linemen on the roster, only four of whom have started as many as 10 games in a season.

Right now, the two most talented members of the Buffalo line are the starting guards, both 2009 draft picks: first-rounder Eric Wood and second-rounder Andy Levitre. Wood had a severe leg fracture last season and didn't start walking until March 4, so the Bills aren't sure he'll be ready for the start of the season.

If the season started today, one tackle spot would be filled by Cornell Green, recently signed from Oakland. Green will be 34 when the season begins. He started 38 games for the Raiders over the past three seasons, and only eight games in the first seven years of his career with the Jets, Broncos and Buccaneers. The other tackle would likely be Demetrius Bell, a seventh-round pick in 2008. Bell started eight games last year before a knee injury ended his season. At center would be Geoff Hangartner, who played well last season as a starter after spending four years as a backup with Carolina.

Behind them? Six anonymous warm bodies -- with a combined 18 career starts in the NFL -- only two of whom were drafted, and none earlier than the fifth round.

By Football Outsiders' advanced metrics, the patchwork line was serviceable in run blocking, finishing 12th in adjusted line yards. However, they were a pass-blocking disaster, ending up dead last in adjusted sack rate. According to the Football Outsiders game charting project, Bills linemen led the league with 28.5 blown blocks that led to sacks.

The Bills may be tempted to take a quarterback in the draft, especially if Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen falls into their laps. But if they don't upgrade their line first, any quarterback they draft will have a short career.

ESPN Link

</H3>

I am sorry if this was already posted. I only saw the other Football Outsiders article.