Golisano fights the man

5 Wide

Golisano wins tax battle

Assessments are a Bi***

I watch all the house hunters shows on HGTV and these people are buying $400,000 homes, and I think to myself, how the hell does a mid 20's couple afford a $400,000 place. Then when they break down the actual payments, it's not much more than what we pay for houses in the $190's Property tax in WNY is completely out of hand.

Golisano wins tax battle

Assessments are a Bi***

I watch all the house hunters shows on HGTV and these people are buying $400,000 homes, and I think to myself, how the hell does a mid 20's couple afford a $400,000 place. Then when they break down the actual payments, it's not much more than what we pay for houses in the $190's Property tax in WNY is completely out of hand.

You don't get to be a billionaire giving away money you don't need to.

FWIW, it cost me $500 (for an independent appraisal) & NUMEROUS hrs fighting my recent assessment. (Again, thanks for your assistance on that Harvey - I still owe you a beer.)

I got that back in my 1st yrs worth of school taxes alone. (Granted, it would've been better had I not needed to spend the $ or time if their initial assessment was more reasonable.)

The ~$80k that Golisano will save EACH YR goes a long way toward legal bills.

$1.67 mill for a 9600 sq ft mansion in WNY? In my neighborhood that get's you something that's decribed as house-like. :rolleyes:

I guarantee you that the asking price of the "house-like" structure would come down significantly if the lucky owner was paying over $50,000 in property taxes per year!

I guarantee you that the asking price of the "house-like" structure would come down significantly if the lucky owner was paying over $50,000 in property taxes per year!

This is true. I can't believe how much you folks in NY pay for property taxes.

This is true. I can't believe how much you folks in NY pay for property taxes.

I can't believe how much people pay for houses in other places.

Responding to your post:

vs. what? Overpaying way more for a dump of a house? I mean really... Back before the crash, what would my 150k house that I had built new 10 years ago brinig in Cali or heck even the North Suburbs of Chicago? And people are worried about a few K more in property taxes a year?

Overspend on a house or put into sevices like library and schools.... Hmmmm, that is a tough choice. :(

An ULTRA-conservative friend of my brothers moved to North Carolina to avoid NYS taxes. His kids just began school last year and they've moved back up to Rochester and he says he will never complain about property taxes again. The schools in NYS are waaaayyyyyy better than those where he lived. This guys got family money and lived in an exclusive North Carolina area.

An ULTRA-conservative friend of my brothers moved to North Carolina to avoid NYS taxes. His kids just began school last year and they've moved back up to Rochester and he says he will never complain about property taxes again. The schools in NYS are waaaayyyyyy better than those where he lived. This guys got family money and lived in an exclusive North Carolina area.

That too. I pay more in Illinois than NYS and people aren't using taxes as much as a scapegoat as they do in NYS.