Second Round:

Astrobot

I think the second round is the make or break round for the Bills. Even though it is largely affected by the Bills' choice in RD1, There are enough subplots in the second round to make me "suspend judgment" about the Bills' future at least until our #41.

Subplot 1--Skip over the Lineman pick in favor of a featured or high-demand position?

----------Characters:

----------------Colt McCoy--QB with all of the physical tools; could already be gone (Cleveland?)

----------------Brandon Spikes--ILB the position that nine of our team analysts listed as a Top 3 priority in this draft.

----------------Damian Williams--WR with the size-speed combo that can work opposite Evans.

----------------Tim Tebow--QB--Gailey's strength is utilizing talent.

Subplot 2--Follow up with another lineman even if we get one in RD1?

----------Characters:

----------------Charles Brown OT--the zone blocker, oor hand punch, low upper body strength, and a lack of nastiness

----------------Saffold/Ducasse OG/RT--If you went LT first, do you take a future RT next?

----------------Jared Veldheer LT--Green Bay is hot on this guy, who they think they can groom to replace Chad Clifton.

----------------Cam Thomas NT--Early, but it's a need and he won't make it to RD3#72

Subplot 3--Take a risk player with huge upside?

----------Characters:

----------------Terrence Cody NT--big, two-gap Nose Tackle (may be picked early by Chargers: will Bills trade up?)

----------------Demaryius Thomas WR --broke foot while training for combine; excellent size, GT player, great blocker

----------------Tony Washington LT--Probably good risk to take him as he is 1st round talent with one mistake long ago

Whatever happens in the first round, happens. I urge Bills fans to unloose the noose at least until this pick. It'll be a doozy.

I think the second round is the make or break round for the Bills. Even though it is largely affected by the Bills' choice in RD1, There are enough subplots in the second round to make me "suspend judgment" about the Bills' future at least until our #41.

Subplot 1--Skip over the Lineman pick in favor of a featured or high-demand position?

----------Characters:

----------------Colt McCoy--QB with all of the physical tools; could already be gone (Cleveland?)

----------------Brandon Spikes--ILB the position that nine of our team analysts listed as a Top 3 priority in this draft.

----------------Damian Williams--WR with the size-speed combo that can work opposite Evans.

----------Characters:

----------------Charles Brown OT--the zone blocker, oor hand punch, low upper body strength, and a lack of nastiness

----------------Saffold/Ducasse OG/RT--If you went LT first, do you take a future RT next?

----------------Jared Veldheer LT--Green Bay is hot on this guy, who they think they can groom to replace Chad Clifton.

----------------Cam Thomas NT--Early, but it's a need and he won't make it to RD3#72

----------Characters:

----------------Terrence Cody NT--big, two-gap Nose Tackle (may be picked early by Chargers: will Bills trade up?)

----------------Demaryius Thomas WR --broke foot while training for combine; excellent size, GT player, great blocker

----------------Tony Washington LT--Probably good risk to take him as he is 1st round talent with one mistake long ago

Whatever happens in the first round, happens. I urge Bills fans to unloose the noose at least until this pick. It'll be a doozy.

As always Astro i appreciate the work you do. I really hope it is scenario 3, I think Cody is special, and he is a huge(in more ways than one) need for this team!

The Bills are in a lose lose situation no matter who they draft in RD 1. Someone will see a bigger need than the one drafted, somone picked after the 9th will perform better, etc etc... and people will be putting the pick down. IMHO

As always Astro i appreciate the work you do. I really hope it is scenario 3, I think Cody is special, and he is a huge(in more ways than one) need for this team!

The Bills are in a lose lose situation no matter who they draft in RD 1. Someone will see a bigger need than the one drafted, somone picked after the 9th will perform better, etc etc... and people will be putting the pick down. IMHO

I was thinking about this.

Would I prefer the LT in the first (Bulaga) then the NT (Cody), then work on ILB-OLB-DE?

or

Would I prefer the NT in the first (Dan Williams), then the BOLA (best o-lineman available) --likely Asamoah or Veldheer?

It's not even close. I take Bulaga-Cody. :thumbsup:

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

Tebow isn't going to be there. I'm guessing top 15-20 now. Some team is going to roll the dice.

Pike in the 3rd?

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

No one doubts that the qb is the most important position on a team. What the Bills have to answer is whether any qb taken in the second round is a franchise qb? If the Bills take a qbin the second round my preference is McCoy over Tebow. Some people compare McCoy to Brees. I won't go that far. But if the scouts think he is that caliber of player then go for it. Whether people want to acknowledge the obvious or not the Bills are rebuilding. Getting a franchise qb on the roster sooner rather than later is the right thing to do.

If our scouts conclude that a second round qb selection isn't a very sure thing then go for a line player. I have been touting taking Cam Thomas at NT for some time. If the Bills get Bulaga/Trent Williams in the first round then addressing the NT position is critical because of the move to a 3-4 scheme.

I also would advocate that the Bills get a player such as LT Tony Washington in the third round. He had a troubled past but his behavior for an extended period of time has been very responsible. I would have more confidence in him as a person than some of the very highly rated knuckleheads in this draft.

What this very miserable and misguided franchise needs more than ever is a sound blueprint to rebuilding this expansion caliber team. When your lines are upgraded the skill positions are automatically upgraded. For too long the Bills have not addressed the OL. Last year the Bills started the rebuilding process with the drafting of Woods and Levitre at the guard positions. Having Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell playing Lt, the most critical and difficult position on the line, is an embarrassment and a disgrace. The right way to build is from the lines and then work yourself to the perimeter positions. This is the antithesis of the Dick Jauron approach which focused on the lighter positions over the bulkier positions.

great post......i love intelligent thought.....so thank you....

the fact that most of us feel strongly the first AND second round picks will be big linemen or linebackers who know how to hit people is very encouraging.......there almost certainly will not be any roscoe parrish or tiny cornerbacks selected......if they're going to bomb on a pick - and hey, it happens - at least we all feel fairly certain it'll be some big lineman.....even after mike williams a few years ago, i'm more okay with this concept than with another donte witner or receiver who takes 3 years to pan out, if ever......

so, from this aspect, this draft should at least be different than the past few years......

again, thanks for the great post......it could be complete hogwash, but it was very well thought out.

I think that the only quarterback the Bills should be considering is Clausen. I think it is much more important that the Bills upgrade both their offensive and defensive lines. As far as which direction they go, it will depend on who is available. I would rather that they draft Dan Williams than reach for an offensive tackle, like Bruce Campbell. First, the Dolphins are likely to draft Dan Williams, so I like that poke in the eye. Second, the Bills can't afford another Mike Williams. Jared Veldheer or Charles Brown would seem to be nice picks.

I will be upset if the Bills only draft one offensive tackle. They need a lot better depth along the offensive line.

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

----------Characters:

Thats my vote. It has been reported via NFLN that many scouts have him talent wise as a 1st round LT - one scout said he had him rated higher than Okung. They also reported those teams did not have him rated as a 1st round prospect because of his sex offender label. I cant imagine who could fall to 42 and have greater value at a position of need - even if Bulaga/Pkung falls to us in round 1 and is our pick. Green is not the long term answer.