Bills re-sign their ERFAs

Beerball

Link

Cary Harris--this surprises me. Bills only signed him to a 1 year contract, or this is a re-do?

Stupar

Corto

Huggins

Harris spent most of the season on the practice squad but performed very well when called upon in the season finale. 2 interceptions against the Colts. I think that was the only game he actually played in.

Harris spent most of the season on the practice squad but performed very well when called upon in the season finale. 2 interceptions against the Colts. I think that was the only game he actually played in.
Makes no sense though. Draft picks are normally signed for multiple years. Funny to see him re-signed after only one season.

Makes no sense though. Draft picks are normally signed for multiple years. Funny to see him re-signed after only one season.

Harris was waived so his rookie contract voided (a player must pass waivers to be placed on the practice squad). He was placed on the practice squad which pays a non-binding salary (remember any practice squadder can be signed by another team). Then he was signed to the regular roster as a late season fill-in...most likely a prorated contract for the last game(s). That contract expired after the end of the regular season.

So C. Harris was a restricted player/exclusive rights free agent (fewer than 6 years of NFL service). He was offered a tender which he signed (he had no other options of course).

I believe this is more or less the chronology of events and the reason he isn't performing under his original rookie contract which was probably for at least 4 years.

Harris was waived so his rookie contract voided (a player must pass waivers to be placed on the practice squad). He was placed on the practice squad which pays a non-binding salary (remember any practice squadder can be signed by another team). Then he was signed to the regular roster as a late season fill-in...most likely a prorated contract for the last game(s). That contract expired after the end of the regular season.

So C. Harris was a restricted player/exclusive rights free agent (fewer than 6 years of NFL service). He was offered a tender which he signed (he had no other options of course).

I believe this is more or less the chronology of events and the reason he isn't performing under his original rookie contract which was probably for at least 4 years.

:thumbsup: forgot they had to be waived prior to being placed on the practice squad. Thanks.