Goodell: discussion about Week 17 to be all intradivision games

While viewing one of the many McNabb articles, it stated that Goodell had mentioned a discussion centered around every Week 17 game, and many of the the Week 16 games, might be played against teams in the same division. Some would have already clinched their position in the playoffs, but it could help to avoid a rematch of the Bills-Colts '09 type of scenario.

Here's the source...

Also in Orlando, commissioner Roger Goodell said there was a discussion about scheduling only intradivision games on the final weekend of the season, and placing many such games in Week 16 as well.

The league hopes the move will prevent teams from benching their regulars after clinching titles.

While viewing one of the many McNabb articles, it stated that Goodell had mentioned a discussion centered around every Week 17 game, and many of the the Week 16 games, might be played against teams in the same division. Some would have already clinched their position in the playoffs, but it could help to avoid a rematch of the Bills-Colts '09 type of scenario.

Here's the source...

If the Pats* have the division clinched and play the Bills in week 17, who are out of the playoffs, how does this change anything?

If the Pats* have the division clinched and play the Bills in week 17, who are out of the playoffs, how does this change anything?

Yes ... the Pats could be tied with the Jets or Miami and the tiebreaker could come down to division record ...

as my post said, sometimes playoff berths are clinched and it wouldn't matter, but it might help the situation in general...

In-A-Gadda-Levitre, YE OLE completely follows your thought process on this one. I don't see how this will change anything. If the Jets and Patriots are tied for the division lead going into the last week and they are each playing NFC teams... they will both play starters. If the Patriots have the division clinched and play the Jets in the last game of the season, they will rest players. The only thing this adds is a rivalry factor, IMHO, but I don't think that will make a difference in the decision to play or rest guys. YE OLE does not believe it will effect who plays backups in those "meaningless" games and who does not, however it may make a difference in those battling for the division as you will get a head to head crack at that team.

In-A-Gadda-Levitre, YE OLE completely follows your thought process on this one. I don't see how this will change anything. If the Jets and Patriots are tied for the division lead going into the last week and they are each playing NFC teams... they will both play starters. If the Patriots have the division clinched and play the Jets in the last game of the season, they will rest players. The only thing this adds is a rivalry factor, IMHO, but I don't think that will make a difference in the decision to play or rest guys. YE OLE does not believe it will effect who plays backups in those "meaningless" games and who does not, however it may make a difference in those battling for the division as you will get a head to head crack at that team.

yes, no disagreement there. I think the discussion (at the NFL Winter Meeting) was maybe, by pushing out the last intradivision games, there wouldn't be as many early clinches and teams would have more to play for. I'm not sure if I agree with the whole premise or not, it's just an interesting proposal to think about.