Obama to save housing

I feel like people not being able to afford their homes and the government interceding to keep them in said homes caused a problem once in this country. Just looked in my history book and couldn't find that chapter.

Oh, maybe because that bit of history was so FREAKING recent it's not in the history books yet!

Jesus H people. Are we really going to keep people in houses they can't afford?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/business...UZoeEUJ4p1/08Yw

The escalation in aid comes as the administration is under rising pressure from Congress to resolve the foreclosure crisis, which is straining the economy and putting millions of Americans at risk of losing their homes. But the new initiatives could well spur protests among those who have kept up their payments and are not in trouble.

At a White House briefing, officials emphasized that no new taxpayer money would be used for the programs. Instead, funds to provide incentives for loan servicers to participate would be drawn from the $50 billion allotted to housing in the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

And I love this **** about "no new funds." WTF? Anytime you take my money for one purpose and spend it for another, it's new funds to me MFer. How about giving back some TARP if you're not going to use it? Or pay down the debt?

Unlucky me. I was poorest during the Bush/Clinton years when no one was there to bail me out.

I feel like people not being able to afford their homes and the government interceding to keep them in said homes caused a problem once in this country. Just looked in my history book and couldn't find that chapter.

Oh, maybe because that bit of history was so FREAKING recent it's not in the history books yet!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/business...UZoeEUJ4p1/08Yw

And I love this **** about "no new funds." WTF? Anytime you take my money for one purpose and spend it for another, it's new funds to me MFer. How about giving back some TARP if you're not going to use it? Or pay down the debt?

Unlucky me. I was poorest during the Bush/Clinton years when no one was there to bail me out.

We had the same response. :rolleyes:

There came a moment during the presidential election when it hit me -- I mean, really, really hit me -- that simply being a Republican didn't mean jackschitt, and that moment came when McCain's idea for fixing the mortgage problem was to take $300 billion and bail out everyone who had a bad mortgage. I couldn't believe my choice for president was coming up with with such a reckless and moronic idea. That concept couldn't have been any LESS Republican if at the same time McCain said he planned to divorce his wife to marry Barney Frank in an effort to promote bipartisanship.

Not so surprising coming from Obama, who apparently is out to buy every single vote he can with money we don't have. Not to mention that when the government-backed mortgages default, guess who gets the house?

Crazy time we're living in. Just crazy. The idea of "hunker in the bunker" is starting to see pretty viable.

People signed a contract to pay every month. Now its ok to break the contract by law? WTF?

It gets better, they are "REQUIRING" lenders to reduce the principal on some of the loans. Now how in the hell are they going to enforce that? And if they don't want to, then what? You know, they do have bondholders to contend with as well.

It gets better, they are "REQUIRING" lenders to reduce the principal on some of the loans. Now how in the hell are they going to enforce that? And if they don't want to, then what? You know, they do have bondholders to contend with as well.

Let's think this through for a minute. Borrower owes $400k. Borrower gets that reduced to $300k. Borrower's mortgage is in a trust backing a mortgage bond. Mortgage bond is now short $100k in principal. Principal needs to be made up. Who pays principal? The insurer...namely, Fannie and Freddie. :rolleyes:

And you know...you can't just "reduce the principal". You also have to recalculate the monthly payment, or the term - basically, rewrite the entire terms of the loan.

Is this administration REALLY so stupid as to think it's just a matter of saying "Congratulations, you now owe $100k less!"

Let me be clear.

I sympathize with the American people on their housing plight. It's difficult to find decent housing.

My lease expires in January 2013 and I am doing everything I can now to ensure that lease is renewed

Well, then, it's a good thing your next priority is the immigration bill.