Tick, tick, tick...union takeovers of your 401(k)

You mean because saving for your own retirement is the same things as demonizing poor people for not paying income tax? This is your way of proving you're not an idiot? :thumbsup:

I didn't even know what he meant so for a change, I let what seemed idiotic slide. Thanks for having my back in a moment of weakness.

Keepthefaith, WTF are you talking about?

So I should spend it all now while it's worth something?

Time to tell my wife we're buying the M3.

Somewhere in the country, Dwight Drane is sitting in a bunker with eight other unshowered bachelors, counting his silver, eating his Dinty Moore stew, and laughing at us...

Somewhere in the country, Dwight Drane is balled up in the fetal position in a pool of his own piss in a bunker with eight other unshowered bachelors, counting his silver, eating his Dinty Moore stew, and laughing at us...

Corrected you on this Tommy...

How the hell has the system failed them? The system has given them wonderful incentives for saving; tax deduction of contributions, tax deferral of earnings, tax free retirement accounts, etc, etc. No folks the system has not failed you, you've failed the system. Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. I see these types of people everyday and they piss me off.

The Education system. Most people can't understand basic economics. Math is hard. They don't want to try. Why invest when you can go to the beach, or buy an xbox?

On a slightly more serious note, this is a bit of a false alarm, or more accurately premature. They aren't proposing anything (yet) beyond the framework for discussion with the goal being a government offered 401k vehicle. That could be good or bad ultimately.

What worried me more when I saw the topic was whether this was the continuation of the 2008 discussions, which (like Healthcare Reform) started from the point that a new option should be mandatory, 'private' 401k's eliminated, and include the conversion of your existing accounts into a SSA-administered account.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/...t-accounts.html

Don't worry. By the time you're eligible to retire the Democrats and Republicans will have made sure that whatever you've saved is worth 10% in today's dollars. You can pretty much bank on that.

:thumbsup:

Really? I can take money (borrow money against myself) out today and buy a house straight up. I am not talking just a down payment either.

Really? I can take money (borrow money against myself) out today and buy a house straight up. I am not talking just a down payment either.

Yeah, really. You can put up whatever smiley you want but if you think your money is going to be worth as much 10-20 years from now, you've got a rude awakening coming.

But AIG committed fraud and cost everyone half their retirement, and the only way to prevent it is to let government control our retirement!

Well at least the first half of that is correct. Although, fraud might be to strong of a word for some.