20 ways obamacare will take away your freedoms

"You are an employer and you would like to offer coverage that doesn’t allow your employers’ slacker children to stay on the policy until age 26? Tough"

:doh:

Jesus. People are morons.

<_< I know, right?

The Tea Party: Because kids can go !@#$ themselves.

Luckily in NY you can stay on your parents plan until age 25 or something. Especially lucky since I wasn't able to get a job that offered insurance until I was 28.

But yes, I was a slacker. Working three jobs for a total 60 hours a week. If doctors were real Americans they would have flatly refused to reset my leg after my car accident. How dare I get hurt while having a horrible job(s)!

<_< I know, right?

The Tea Party: Because kids can go !@#$ themselves.

Luckily in NY you can stay on your parents plan until age 25 or something. Especially lucky since I wasn't able to get a job that offered insurance until I was 28.

But yes, I was a slacker. Working three jobs for a total 60 hours a week. If doctors were real Americans they would have flatly refused to reset my leg after my car accident. How dare I get hurt while having a horrible job(s)!

Here's what I don't understand: the new bill is supposed to lower health care insurance for everyone. I can understand keeping your child on your plan while they're in college, assuming they go that route, so it would seem to me that if the bill lowers costs for everyone so everyone can finally afford health care, and get subsidies if you can't, why in the living !@#$ would you put this extender in the bill?

It's almost like they think maybe, just maybe, the cost for health insurance won't go down. But that couldn't be, could it? They wouldn't like to us about this, would they?

Here's what I don't understand: the new bill is supposed to lower health care insurance for everyone. I can understand keeping your child on your plan while they're in college, assuming they go that route, so it would seem to me that if the bill lowers costs for everyone so everyone can finally afford health care, and get subsidies if you can't, why in the living !@#$ would you put this extender in the bill?

It's almost like they think maybe, just maybe, the cost for health insurance won't go down. But that couldn't be, could it? They wouldn't like to us about this, would they?

This aspect of the bill is long overdue. It is not easy to come out of college and immediately find a decent job with a decent wage and benefits. My roommate just got health insurance last year, at age 31, even though he has a college degree and has been working a minimum 40 hours a week since age 16. people deserve a soft transition period while they are trying to make it. Once you move beyond living hand to mouth--like most people do in their early working life--insurance becomes more of an option. Having a safety net while you try and move a couple steps up the ladder? It's a good thing. There are some dumb things in the bill; however, this is not one of them.

There are some dumb things in the bill; however, this is not one of them.

I tend to agree - or at least thing this is one of the least stupid things in the law. It targets a demographic that generally is healthy and doesn't consume a lot of health care resources, hence doesn't drive up premiums all that much if they're included on their parents' insurance.

I don't think it's a particularly great idea, in that it's largely fluff (in that it's not addressing a major cost center either way - not much health care is targeted to that demographic, and insurance isn't particularly pricey for that demographic either). But it sure as hell isn't a bad idea, either.

Does anyone seriously believe that the insurance companies for years haven't been laying off the higher costs associated with higher risk groups on people that lead healthier lifestyles? Does anyone seriously believe that high hospital costs DON'T help defray the costs associated with those that aren't covered when they use hospital services? We've been picking up the slack for the uninsured for years. It's like bookies having to lay off odds. Why else would health insurance companies raise premiums 60% in one year even for those that have NEVER filed a claim or otherwise used their insurance simply because they were healthy enough NOT to need it?

At my wife's company, a large employer and a fortune 100 company with a terrifice health plan, the monthly premiums were raised 110% from 2008 to 2009. Why? Because three people at her company suffered from life-threatening forms of cancer and they simply used the treatments available to them under their plan. Very costly treatments to be sure but they faithfully paid their premiums for years as did everyone else at the company. The insurance companies will NEVER lose money. Sure they'll suffer huge losses like the rest of us do when the markets tank but they'll make that back in spades. Always have, always will.

Look for health stocks to take off now that the insurance companies have 30 million new customers soon to be added to the books.

Does anyone seriously believe that the insurance companies for years haven't been laying off the higher costs associated with higher risk groups on people that lead healthier lifestyles? Does anyone seriously believe that high hospital costs DON'T help defray the costs associated with those that aren't covered when they use hospital services? We've been picking up the slack for the uninsured for years. It's like bookies having to lay off odds. Why else would health insurance companies raise premiums 60% in one year even for those that have NEVER filed a claim or otherwise used their insurance simply because they were healthy enough NOT to need it?

At my wife's company, a large employer and a fortune 100 company with a terrifice health plan, the monthly premiums were raised 110% from 2008 to 2009. Why? Because three people at her company suffered from life-threatening forms of cancer and they simply used the treatments available to them under their plan. Very costly treatments to be sure but they faithfully paid their premiums for years as did everyone else at the company. The insurance companies will NEVER lose money. Sure they'll suffer huge losses like the rest of us do when the markets tank but they'll make that back in spades. Always have, always will.

Look for health stocks to take off now that the insurance companies have 30 million new customers soon to be added to the books.

Your wife's company's insurance company (as do all the others) sets premiums such to make a profit off the TOTAL $'s expected to be expended in a particular year (or other relatively short time period). They used their experience and actuarial tables to estimate what that would be and then pooled the payment out to all the members of the insurance pool (apparently the risk pool for her company is the company's employees and their families). While the risk was there that some within the risk pool would get cancer, which can be astonishingly expensive to treat; it looks like the probabilities that were used were either incorrect, or the employees were just "unluckier" than would have been expected. Either way, if you want the insurance company to continue to provide coverage to your wife's company, they are going to have to get premiums from the members of the risk pool large enough to cover the total expected expenditures (which are now significantly higher with 3 people being treated for cancer than they were in previous years).

You claim the insurance company will NEVER lose money, but they most likely did last year; and to keep from losing money this year, they raised the rates. Those premiums that were "faithfully" paid in years past were used, primarily, to pay for the health care of everybody else in the pool in those years. That is the entire point of a "risk pool," everybody puts in a relatively small amount of money, but more that the healthy people would be expected to pay in a particular year to cover the people that do end up getting sick.

And, as an aside, if you want to get an idea of the probability of an event happening, price out insurance on the event. If you are afraid your house worth $200k might burn down, and the insurance to cover replacement costs $2.2k; then factoring a 10% profit, there would roughly be a 1% chance that your house will be destroyed. (Not quite exactly correct, as there are things that could happen to your house that would damage it without destroying it, but that's roughly how it works.) The insurance companies work in a competitive environment. A single company can't take you to the cleaners because the next guy will sell you a policy cheaper than the 1st one.

Your wife's company's insurance company (as do all the others) sets premiums such to make a profit off the TOTAL $'s expected to be expended in a particular year (or other relatively short time period). They used their experience and actuarial tables to estimate what that would be and then pooled the payment out to all the members of the insurance pool (apparently the risk pool for her company is the company's employees and their families). While the risk was there that some within the risk pool would get cancer, which can be astonishingly expensive to treat; it looks like the probabilities that were used were either incorrect, or the employees were just "unluckier" than would have been expected. Either way, if you want the insurance company to continue to provide coverage to your wife's company, they are going to have to get premiums from the members of the risk pool large enough to cover the total expected expenditures (which are now significantly higher with 3 people being treated for cancer than they were in previous years).

You claim the insurance company will NEVER lose money, but they most likely did last year; and to keep from losing money this year, they raised the rates. Those premiums that were "faithfully" paid in years past were used, primarily, to pay for the health care of everybody else in the pool in those years. That is the entire point of a "risk pool," everybody puts in a relatively small amount of money, but more that the healthy people would be expected to pay in a particular year to cover the people that do end up getting sick.

And, as an aside, if you want to get an idea of the probability of an event happening, price out insurance on the event. If you are afraid your house worth $200k might burn down, and the insurance to cover replacement costs $2.2k; then factoring a 10% profit, there would roughly be a 1% chance that your house will be destroyed. (Not quite exactly correct, as there are things that could happen to your house that would damage it without destroying it, but that's roughly how it works.) The insurance companies work in a competitive environment. A single company can't take you to the cleaners because the next guy will sell you a policy cheaper than the 1st one.

I appreciate the clarity you bring in your explanation. And I agree to a large extent. Perhaps I should have said the insurance companies don't lose money FOR LONG. I'm sure they lost their shirts when the markets tanked last year just as they lost when the recession hit in the early 00s.

You're right, a single company can't take you to the cleaners which is why my wife's company dropped their previous insurer upon hearing the news that they were jacking the rates 110%. The NEXT best deal they got and the one they decided on STILL imposed a 60% hike from the previous year and those three employees being treated for cancer were denied coverage by the new company due to the existance of a "pre-condition." You can imagine what happened to them financially.

I appreciate the clarity you bring in your explanation. And I agree to a large extent. Perhaps I should have said the insurance companies don't lose money FOR LONG. I'm sure they lost their shirts when the markets tanked last year just as they lost when the recession hit in the early 00s.

You're right, a single company can't take you to the cleaners which is why my wife's company dropped their previous insurer upon hearing the news that they were jacking the rates 110%. The NEXT best deal they got and the one they decided on STILL imposed a 60% hike from the previous year and those three employees being treated for cancer were denied coverage by the new company due to the existance of a "pre-condition." You can imagine what happened to them financially.

This is an example of one of the problems with the system that was created by govt. By making health insurance costs deductible to a company but not to individuals buying health insurance for themselves, most people get their insurance through their employers (and because so many do, employer plans tend to have broader risk pools than when individuals do try to get it on their own, so it becomes that much cheaper for an employer to provide the insurance) and those people end up at the mercy of what their employer chooses for plans. This part of the system could have been fixed without requiring a 2,000+ page bill.

Out of curiosity, are the 3 still employed at that company?

My condolences go out to them.

Enjoy your health care freedoms, boys and girls!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.infowars.com/20-ways-obamacare-...y-our-freedoms/

Hilarious. Basically this guy is right. Obama is taking away your right to be a totally irresponsible douche bag who'll wind up in the emergency ward looking for free care that all of us will wind up paying for because they wanted to be free to spend their money on concert tickets or cocaine instead of a health plan.

You don't want health insurance? Fine. But you have to sign a waiver saying that you will NEVER go to the emergency room when you f*ck yourself up or get sick. Just go home and sweat it out or die. Freedom, baby.

PTR