WWll in HD

10 hour series all actual war film shot originally in color, from the Pacific to Europe to Africa. HC is running all 10 together right now. Incredible footage. Anybody ever see it?

Some of it. It's pretty good, if unrealistic at times... <_<

Some of it. It's pretty good, if unrealistic at times... <_<

If only Tom Hanks had been there. What's really weird is I live next to a Army shooting range, and the whole time I've been watching the series this morning they have been shooting what sounds like .50 cal's. Talk about the ultimate surround sound.

Unbelievable. Actual footage of Japanese civilians jumping off a 200 hundred foot Cliff on Saipan to avoid US capture. What a culture.

A lot of them 1) weren't Japanese (I forget their actual ethnicity, probably some distant offshoot/cross of Oriental and Polynesian), and 2) were forced (often at gunpoint). And 3) bought into Japanese propaganda that American soldiers would slaughter them all, eat their babies, and wear their skins for clothing, so it was better commit honorable suicide. Same thing happened at Okinawa.

Still unbelievable. Just not quite that simple.

A lot of them 1) weren't Japanese (I forget their actual ethnicity, probably some distant offshoot/cross of Oriental and Polynesian), and 2) were forced (often at gunpoint). And 3) bought into Japanese propaganda that American soldiers would slaughter them all, eat their babies, and wear their skins for clothing, so it was better commit honorable suicide. Same thing happened at Okinawa.

Still unbelievable. Just not quite that simple.

In the footage it was simple. The Americans had set up a loud speaker with a Japanese speaker assuring them they would be treated decently. Rather than forcing them at gunpoint, the only way to have stopped them would be to shoot them. They simply ran at the cliff and jumped over. Remember, this is actual, on the scene footage.

Saw the whole series when it was on last November (or december). It was great. I enjoyed the WWII series on history channel about 5 years ago that chronicled the last 6 months of the war, a week at a time. I forget the title of the series, but its tagline was "exactly 60 years ago today".

With that said, I am looking forward to the American history series that's coming up in April. That should be a good one.

It's one of my favorite, but I really don't like the way they try to implement the plot of following the individual soldiers. I just want to see footage and have them explain to me what I'm looking at. Otherwise I get skeptical and assume they're lying to me.

Check out these pictures

The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters in WWII

D-Day on the Normandy Beaches

Point of interest: that second picture in the Pacific bunch isn't "before" the attack on Pearl Harbor, it's just after the start. If you look closely at the first two pairs of battleships from the right, you can see where the outer ship in each pair has already been torpedoed (you can just barely make out the torpedo tracks in the water) and is leaking fuel oil, and the second (West Virginia) already has a serious list.

If you also look in the upper-right corner of that picture, you can see what looks like a Japanese plane breaking up after being hit by AA while making a run over Hickam Field.

I saw bits and pieces of it. Some of the Medic shots were gruesome, guys with major wounds, they did not hold back.

I hope to find the whole series on Ebay one day. For cheap lol.

I bought the series on blu-ray for around 20 dollars at amazon. I am sure dvd is even cheaper.

Yeah, those combat photographers probably photoshopped some of it.

Actually, in Frito's links, I can see one picture I suspect is edited, and at least one I know is a staged shot (and no, I'm not talking about the "second" flag raising on Iwo).