Afghan Star

Astrojanitor

is showing practically every night on HBO (or one of the many HBO fringe channels). Documentary about an American Idol type show in Afghanistan. Very interesting/entertaining film about the country dipping its toes into artistic freedom, religious freedom, western culture and democracy. Absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time if you haven't seen it. If you have, what did you think (outside of "my god, and i thought american pop music was awful!")

I watched it last night as a matter of fact, good stuff. Very interesting to see the different ages up there performing. Some of those men looked to be in their 50's then again living in Afganastan can do that to the average 20year old.

Man, the reaction when (Setara?) danced on tv while briefly showing her hair? Crazy. That collision of lingering conservative theocracy and the desire to re-embrace modernity was pretty shocking...especially when kids who are openly fans of the show also advocate the murder of the female contestants.

Man, the reaction when (Setara?) danced on tv while briefly showing her hair? Crazy. That collision of lingering conservative theocracy and the desire to re-embrace modernity was pretty shocking...especially when kids who are openly fans of the show also advocate the murder of the female contestants.

I openly advocate the murder of may American Idol contestants. Does that make me a conservative theocrat?