great Joe D rant. Its all about the quarterback

Actually, there's a really good argument to be made that Testaverde was a hell of a QB, but was held back by horrible teams almost throughout his career.

This is a brilliant article about it: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01...nny-testaverde/

Not just bad teams, bad players and bad coaching, and to me coaching is nearly everything.

Simply look at Steve Young and his two years at Tampa Bay vs his time with San Francisco.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While so many here are accepting Joe D's opinions as tremendously insightful, ain't it peculiar the focus has been on coaches who maybe/maybe not were fired instead of on this exchange:

Q: Who would you like to see the Bills draft in April?

A: I’d like to see them draft the kid from Central Michigan, Dan LeFevour. I really think that kid’s gonna be a good quarterback. But I don’t know if Trent Edwards is a bad quarterback, because he’s had so many coordinators. He’s had what, four coordinators? So you can’t tell. This (franchise) has been so disheveled the last couple years, you don’t know what’s going on. I told the Bills a couple years ago, trade all your draft picks and draft Ben Roethlisberger. I told (defensive coordinator then interim head coach) Perry Fewell last year at dinner, I said, ‘Perry, please draft (USC’s) Clay Matthews Jr.’ He’s only in the Pro Bowl this year.

Q: What do you see in LeFevour?

A: He’s big, he’s mobile, and he’s got an arm, and he can throw it in the wind, and he’s close. He’s playing in Michigan, in cold weather. If I was the coach, I’d put a dot on Buffalo and I’d go 300 miles around it and I’d try to get as many players as I can from there because, believe it or not, their families will come and watch them and then when the families come watch them, they’ll play a little harder.

Its more complicated then just getting Big Ben. And yes Mathews would have been better, buts its easy to second guess a draft.

The team has to be ready for a talented field general.

However I'm glad I'm not the only won that sees something special in LeFevour.

Clausen has bust written all over them and Bradford seems like he'll be a serviceable QB but none of them seem to have the franchise kind of QB that would be important for a high pick.

LeFevour in 2.09. (Anyone paying attention to football outside of Buffalo will tell you LeFevour will be gone in the second. He will not make it to 3.09 guaranteed )

Actually, there's a really good argument to be made that Testaverde was a hell of a QB, but was held back by horrible teams almost throughout his career.

This is a brilliant article about it: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01...nny-testaverde/

Nice article, but I could not help but notice that his own argument in support of Vinny can be turned around and used against Vinny.

The concept of you put Vinny on some really good teams, and Vinny suddenly looks to be a good QB brings out the concept of "If Vinny needs all those talented players to be good, then Vinny is not nearly as good as he claims him to be."

Secondly, I noticed how the author uses AV (approx value) to measure the team and supporting cast, but uses another category to compare the QB's. Why not use the same category (AV) as the rest of the team?

If he did, he would notice his argument has some flaws. He would notice some of those HOF had a higher AV than Vinny did when surrounded by similar level of talent. Thus questioning how good Vinny really is.

Noll got fired?...thought he retired....Lombardi got fired?...thought he retired...Landry got fired? though he retired....ridiculous...and Siefert had Joe Montana before Steve Young...Young was better than Montana??...hmmmmm....And Belichick???...Bledsoe was so bad that he had the Pats ranked number one in Passing offense...and they were 22nd when Brady came in...

This post is LAME...unresearched and just spouted out like they know something

Landry was fired, chief. Do research.