great Joe D rant. Its all about the quarterback

Joe DeLamielleure talking about QB's:

"Right. I’ve heard it. C’mon. You know what change makes a coach great? Quarterback. Bottom line, Bart Starr left, Vince Lombardi got fired. Staubach left, Landry got fired. Terry Bradshaw left, Chuck Noll got fired. Seifert had Steve Young and goes to the Super Bowl. He goes to Carolina, he’s 1-15. Guess what? It’s all about quarterback. ... So if the Bills don’t have a quarterback, Chan Gailey will be average at best....."

Well said Joe. He forgot to include Belichick, who had a lame record of 41-56 with one playoff appearance and no victories as an NFL head coach before Bledsoe got hurt and Brady replaced him. He went from a losing coach who couldn't hold his job in Cleveland to an instant "genius" overnight.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Right. I’ve heard it. C’mon. You know what change makes a coach great? Quarterback. Bottom line, Bart Starr left, Vince Lombardi got fired. Staubach left, Landry got fired. Terry Bradshaw left, Chuck Noll got fired. Seifert had Steve Young and goes to the Super Bowl. He goes to Carolina, he’s 1-15. Guess what? It’s all about quarterback. ... So if the Bills don’t have a quarterback, Chan Gailey will be average at best....."

Well said Joe. He forgot to include Belichick, who had a lame record of 41-56 with one playoff appearance and no victories as an NFL head coach before Bledsoe got hurt and Brady replaced him. He went from a losing coach who couldn't hold his job in Cleveland to an instant "genius" overnight.

I don't think anyone on the board disagree with the importance of the quaterback position . I think some will say if there is not one available to you you should build the rest of the team and pull the trigger when you can. It will be that much easier fo the incoming qb to play well. I am not so sure that some of these young qb's fail because they have no supporting cast.

That said, if they put together another good draft this year and a good offseason next year. I think we go all in on one o f the guys next season. The cost is usually two 1's and a two to move up to number one. Lets hope Mallett or locker are the real deal

I like Joe D., but he's wrong if those words came from his mouth. Lombardi resigned as HC after SB II and became GM, then went to Washington as HC in 1969.

Landry was fired by Jerra Jones after the 88 season when Jones became owner.

Noll retired (read: forced resignation) after the 91 season.

Where is the link for this quote?

I like Joe D., but he's wrong if those words came from his mouth. Lombardi resigned as HC after SB II and became GM, then went to Washington as HC in 1969.

The quote is correct . The whole story is on the front page of TBD from The tonawanda news or something.

The quote is correct . The whole story is on the front page of TBD from The tonawanda news or something.

I found it, but still disagree with Joe on this point. Building a football team is not as simple as finding a QB. With limited resources (picks, budget) a team needs to build to its strength. If the Bills are indeed going to be a run first team (like NYJ) then build the OL and Defense first.

As for taking players from cold weather climates, a myriad of guys came from warm places that excelled in Buffalo.

Joe D. is a HOF'er, but I'm not sure he's as accurate as some make him out to be.

Noll got fired?...thought he retired....Lombardi got fired?...thought he retired...Landry got fired? though he retired....ridiculous...and Siefert had Joe Montana before Steve Young...Young was better than Montana??...hmmmmm....And Belichick???...Bledsoe was so bad that he had the Pats ranked number one in Passing offense...and they were 22nd when Brady came in...

This post is LAME...unresearched and just spouted out like they know something

Your correct. Lombardi was not fired.

Add Don Shula. Once Marino got old many in the media said "the game past him by". Reality is Shula got shoved out. The biggest problem with Shula's last teams were that Buffalo Bills had more talent and were better in all phases of the game.

I agree with Joe D about Kugler. The Bills should have retained him, or

at least held on to him until Gailey could interview him.

Agree but ... Good protocal calls for release of the assistants when a HC is fired. This gives them more time to land another job. We don't know when Gailey popped onto the scene. It would have been unfair to Kugler to hold on and then have a new guy release him later.

I suppose they could have talked to him about waiting until we find a coach, but the Steelers offer great opportunity for him.

Joe D has errors in his fact but his concepts are correct.

Joe D has errors in his fact but his concepts are correct.

There is no simple answer.

If you but Joe Montana on the 2009. Buffalo bills the team does not go to the super bowl.

It's a chicken And egg.

A good franchise can take a talented field general qb and turn themselves and the franchise into a winner.

If you put Trent Edwards on the 1988 49ers with Roger Craig, Ronnie lott, Walsh, Taylor , and rice.You probably still have a NFC chpionahip team if not a super bowl team.

It's not simple as sticking a qb in a franchise and it's just stupid to pretend that that's all it takes.

Interesting. Considering that during his time in Buffalo, JD played for several head coaches and made it to exactly one playoff game, what does that quote say about Joe Ferguson?

Interesting. Considering that during his time in Buffalo, JD played for several head coaches and made it to exactly one playoff game, what does that quote say about Joe Ferguson?

Everybody on the those teams know that Joe did his best, often playing with a lousy cast.

In the OJ years, when our offense was good, we had a mediocre defense. Not to mention that the AFC was stacked with the best teams in Pittsburgh, Miami and Oakland.

In the Knox years, we had more balance and Joe Ferguson did everything he could to help the team win.

Not sure were you are going with this?

Everybody on the those teams know that Joe did his best, often playing with a lousy cast.

In the OJ years, when our offense was good, we had a mediocre defense. Not to mention that the AFC was stacked with the best teams in Pittsburgh, Miami and Oakland.

In the Knox years, we had more balance and Joe Ferguson did everything he could to help the team win.

Not sure were you are going with this?

If it's all about the QB, as JD seemed to suggest, then my inference should be obvious.

(In other words, I disagree with him.)

This is a poor argument and the type of argument you see from a poor 'journalist' (please note poor journalist does not make a poor entertainer which he may be great at). It looks at a specific situation and no outside factors. It also ignores situations where the QB wasn't that great and won anyway with a coach. There's also cascade issues as the team's talent degrades, how does that affect the QB, etc etc?

The answer is likely a combination of many factors that come together to create a winning formula and that latching onto easy answers such as if we just draaaaft *this one guy* that he solve all problems. Much like the idea that if only Bill Cowher would coach the Bills then there was a guarantee of success. That may have been a step or a indication that Bills were looking to solve their problems, but only one piece of a the puzzle of creating a winner.

This is a poor argument and the type of argument you see from a poor 'journalist' (please note poor journalist does not make a poor entertainer which he may be great at). It looks at a specific situation and no outside factors. It also ignores situations where the QB wasn't that great and won anyway with a coach. There's also cascade issues as the team's talent degrades, how does that affect the QB, etc etc?

The answer is likely a combination of many factors that come together to create a winning formula and that latching onto easy answers such as if we just draaaaft *this one guy* that he solve all problems. Much like the idea that if only Bill Cowher would coach the Bills then there was a guarantee of success. That may have been a step or a indication that Bills were looking to solve their problems, but only one piece of a the puzzle of creating a winner.

Wasn't aware DeLamielleure ever claimed to be either a journalist or an entertainer.

There is no simple answer.

If you but Joe Montana on the 2009. Buffalo bills the team does not go to the super bowl.

It's a chicken And egg.

A good franchise can take a talented field general qb and turn themselves and the franchise into a winner.

If you put Trent Edwards on the 1988 49ers with Roger Craig, Ronnie lott, Walsh, Taylor , and rice.You probably still have a NFC chpionahip team if not a super bowl team.

It's not simple as sticking a qb in a franchise and it's just stupid to pretend that that's all it takes.

In a QB driven league if you don't have a good QB you don't have a chance.

Brady and Bledsoe at New England are a perfect example. NE was mediocre with Bledsoe yet in the same season with Brady they became a SB champion.

Banks and Dilfer in Baltimore is also an example. Banks while QB with Ravens barely could keep the team at .500 with a great defense. Although Dilfer was not a great QB he was very solid and won 8 straight and the SB with the exact same team in the same season.

In certain circumstances it is about the QB...Trent Edwards winning an NFC championship with the 88' 49ers....please.

Montana wasn't afraid to throw down field....I understand your point I just didn't agree with your example.

Joe D says some pretty outrageous stuff.

The craziest was in his HOF speech where he lauded one of his former coaches, pointed him out in the crowd & said he was a good coach but... That coach who he loved so much & invited to his HOF day- Hank Bullough.

Mr. Modell, Mr. Wilson were kind enough to trade me back to where I came from – Buffalo – for one year. Hank Bullough coached me. I always said that if Hank got Jim Kelly as a quarterback, he would still be coaching maybe. He was a good coach, just had some trouble at quarterback.

Well Hank did have Kelly, but didn't know how to use him & got fired.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release....?release_id=991

That Fergy wasn't that great of a QB?

I'd have to agree with that assessment.

GO BILLS!!!

The one HC who did well was Chuck Knox. Joe D and Knox had a very stormy relationship which resulted in him being traded. Despite the conflict with the coach Joe D was a very good guard. He was a very hard nosed player who gave you all he got. Joe D is not the type of player who was very nuanced and diplomatic. His world is very black and white. With Joe it was very easy to know where he was coming from.

Joe D is a very tough person. But he also is a very generous and charitable person. He and his college roommates from Michigan State road bikes from Michigan to Mexico to raise money for an orphanage in Mexico.