Sign or Trade for Daunte Culpepper??

Since the list of questions has been handed down from on high, I'll do my best to answer. I'm not sure I understand all of them but I'll my best.

1. How old is he?

33 Same age as Peyton Manning and 1 year older that Tom Brady

2. What type of talent did he have to work with during his career?

So, if a QB had good talent on his team it means he's not as good? I don't get it.

3. Has he accomplished anything more than winning 1 playoff game?

Boy what I wouldn't do for 1 playoff win about now! A lot of poster on here are Super Bowl or bust. I think you gotta crawl before you can walk. Let's just get competitive for the last wild card spot first and then move our sites up once we get there.

4. What has he done in the last 3-5 seasons?

No much. But his last game was good which shows he can still play. But come on, what other QB has looked good for Detroit and the Raidahs and the Fish when he was there?

5. In what way would bringing in an old Vet help the future of the franchise?

Just win baby. In the long term we're all dead. Let's just put together a team to try to win as many games THIS YEAR as we can. We can build on that next year. Our players need to learn how to win.

6. Would you rather see this guy go 8-8 or 7-9 over developing a young draft pick or talent?

Would you rather see us go 5-11 or 6-10 or 7-9 with rookies who never develop? It's been our history.

7. Will 95% of the board respond negatively?

Who cares? If 95% of the board told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?

8. Since the greatest QB in Bills history couldn't win a SuperBowl, what chance does this current free agent sack of wet

sh-- have of doing better?

This is great. Since Jim Kelly couldn't do it, no one else can either?

9. How many other teams are considering him?

How many other teams considered Brohm? How many other teams considered signing Steve Tasker? Not sure why this matters so much.

10. Why did his last employer cut him loose?

His contract ran out and they got Stafford.

33 is not that old for a QB. Especially is he's not bunged up. I think he can still play and has something to prove. And when he steps in the huddle, there will be no question from any of the other guys if he can do and if he can win in the NFL. As much as a good QB, we now also need a leader.

Since you missed the point on a lot of these questions Here's how these should have been answered in relation to Culpepper:

Here's a simple guideline to follow when these QBs become available before posting:

1. How old is he? 33 you got this one right...

2. What type of talent did he have to work with during his career? You completely missed the point on this one - He had lots of talent at his disposal in Minnesota and still went nowhere - Was the correct response

3. Has he accomplished anything more than winning 1 playoff game? No was what you were looking for.

4. What has he done in the last 3-5 seasons? Nothing - good answer on your part

5. In what way would bringing in an old Vet help the future of the franchise? In Culpepper's case he was a poor leadership type QB - was what the judges were looking for on this one

6. Would you rather see this guy go 8-8 or 7-9 over developing a young draft pick or talent? No was what most people would normally say here - Why suffer through the known results when a new prospect could be developing his skills with teammates that might create continuity for years to come.

7. Will 95% of the board respond negatively? The answer was yes in this case - not sure where bridge jumping comes into play. The point is why ask the question when the answer is so painfully obvious. I havent seen any polls on whether or not to jump off a bridge is really relevant to question 7.

8. Since the greatest QB in Bills history couldn't win a SuperBowl, what chance does this current free agent sack of wet

sh-- have of doing better? In this case you'd have to take into consideration that given the current level of talent on the Bills Roster, does this guy get you closer to the big game, since you'd be spending time developing an offensive scheme, and player familiarity with a QB who has not performed well, and is nearling the end of his career(See Steve Mcnair)

9. How many other teams are considering him? Again None is the answer you were looking for, not the vague off-topic rhetoric you chose to respond with.

10. Why did his last employer cut him loose? Also here would have been where you'd answer: "They didn't even play him when stafford was hurt because he is finished"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. Would you rather see this guy go 8-8 or 7-9 over developing a young draft pick or talent? No was what most people would normally say here - Why suffer through the known results when a new prospect could be developing his skills with teammates that might create continuity for years to come.

That's some crystal ball you got there.

10. Why did his last employer cut him loose? Also here would have been where you'd answer: "They didn't even play him when stafford was hurt because he is finished"

Actually he played in the last game of the season 2 1/2 months ago and he was 23 for 34 67.6% 262 yards 2 TDs 1 pick 97.9 rating. Not too shabby.

I'm tried of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs. Evidently you want more. If you get your wish, have fun with it.

where this franchise is right now, no has-been QB will be a good decision. now if it's 3 years ago and Kurt Warner is the QB in the discussion, thats a different ballgame, and I'd agree with your approach, but Culpepper had a decent stats game against the 7-9 Bears, lost by the way, and the Bears had a terrible defense statistically. Thats why I choose to look at a bigger body of work, and Culpepper has looked downright awfull the rest of the time.

Nice signature quote by the way, i like it as both sarcasm, and a statement of absolution.

I wouldn't give a bucket of chicken and a six-pack of Shlitz for a worn out has been who ought to be sending Randy Moss royalty checks for every dollar he's made since his rookie contract.

If we're going to play the stat game, two games into last season Trent Edwards was 36-56 (64% comp) 442 yds 4 Tds, 1 Int, which would translate to a QB rating over 100. Point being, the smaller your sample the less reliable your data.

By contrast, Culpepper's QB rating was below 65 both of the last two years and hasn't been above 80 since 2004. Stick a fork in him. He's no better than what we already have, probably worse.

He wants to play for the Bills.

Thats because 31 other teams think he's finished, and he knows we might be dumb enough to bring him in. He's already worn out the other team dumb enough to hire him(raiders)

I also have a bad feeling about this as well.

Since the list of questions has been handed down from on high, I'll do my best to answer. I'm not sure I understand all of them but I'll my best.

1. How old is he?

33 Same age as Peyton Manning and 1 year older that Tom Brady

Why is mentioning Brady and Manning relevant? Just because they continue to play at a high level means Culpepper will too?

3. Has he accomplished anything more than winning 1 playoff game?

Boy what I wouldn't do for 1 playoff win about now! A lot of poster on here are Super Bowl or bust. I think you gotta crawl before you can walk. Let's just get competitive for the last wild card spot first and then move our sites up once we get there.

I do not get this approach.

This is like designing a car to make left turns only. Once done, now you want the car to make left and right turns. Unfortunately, now you have to re-engineer half the car again.

4. What has he done in the last 3-5 seasons?

No much. But his last game was good which shows he can still play.

You are basing the guys ability on one game in 5 years? You are choosing the exception over the rule?

We should have just kept Jauron as HC. You know he did have one winning season.

5. In what way would bringing in an old Vet help the future of the franchise?

Just win baby. In the long term we're all dead. Let's just put together a team to try to win as many games THIS YEAR as we can. We can build on that next year.

And 2-3 years from now when we finally reach the playoffs, you will discover the Bills will have to scrap half the team because they loaded up with players with the goal to win NOW.

33 is not that old for a QB. Especially is he's not bunged up. I think he can still play and has something to prove. And when he steps in the huddle, there will be no question from any of the other guys if he can do and if he can win in the NFL. As much as a good QB, we now also need a leader.

Culpepper is a "mental midget" from a football point of view. He processes info too slow and makes poor decisions. He was successful with Moss because Moss used to direct Culpepper on where to throw the ball.

If the proposal is to bring in an older quarterback and hope he is able to perform comperable to how he played at his peak.......I struggle buying into this. Perhaps one of the top 2 will fall to #9 in the draft... If not I would be reluctant to buy into this scenario. If any of the theories about a stronger O-line translating to improved quarterback performance, fix the O-line first, and solidify the defence. Personally I'd rather see if Brohm has the ability to be a starter (can't say I have any hope for Edwards, or Fitz other than backups), than waste a year on a re-tread and wondering again next year how hard we need to pursue a QB. Next year's draft supposedly has a stronger QB class.

The Bills have way too many spots to fill to be able to address them all. This year's draft has more quality in O and D line as well as linebackers, so address those needs now. A strong D can keep them in the games and hopefully the score low. A strong O line can protect a weaker QB, and block for our already strong run game. Hell, the friggin Giants won a superbowl recently (or at least participated, more caffine will help recall, but who really cares who won it wasn't the Bills) with a strong D, strong O line and a kinda mediocre QB. Both the Jets and Dolphins had a greater amount of success in recent years with friggin Chad Pennington.

I just think the Bills would be poorly served by trying to ressurrect an old QB for short-term gain. If we can go 7-9 with a devastated O line and porous run defense and crappy QB.....maybe taking care of some major areas this year can translate into increased wins. Next year get franchise QB and WR