Shipping and handling

OK I buy a product mail order that the seller is presumably making a profit on at the asking price. Shipping being a extra I can understand, but what is this "handling" I am paying for? For some fat slob to take his feet off the desk and pull my order? Would they not be there and on the payroll even if didn't make a order? Or am I interupting someone's busy day so they can "handle" my order?

Rant.

For some fat slob to take his feet off the desk and pull my order? Would they not be there and on the payroll even if didn't make a order? Or am I interupting someone's busy day so they can "handle" my order?

In a previous job, I was the "fat slob" though I never had a desk to put my feet up on. I was on my feet from the moment I got there till I left for the day, running (well, walking or using the forklift) from the printer, to the racks to pull your order, then over to shipping to pack your item, then over to the UPS machine to get your box labeled and ready to go that afternoon.

So basically, the handling charge paid for me to be there.

In a previous job, I was the "fat slob" though I never had a desk to put my feet up on. I was on my feet from the moment I got there till I left for the day, running (well, walking or using the forklift) from the printer, to the racks to pull your order, then over to shipping to pack your item, then over to the UPS machine to get your box labeled and ready to go that afternoon.

So basically, the handling charge paid for me to be there.

I would just think it was figured in the price. Sorry, I never meant to imply you where a fat slob :thumbsup:

That's okay, the fat slob was the owner who never took his feet of the desk except to get a doughnut.

Handling might be the price the boss has to pay to have his way with the office tramp :thumbsup: Just Jack hopefully this does not describe you :thumbsup:

For me handling always meant additional profit. It would be like if you had to write a check or swipe your credit card for an additional $5 for the checker at the grocery store. Grocery stores figure a way to pay them from the revenue from the sales. And a lot of the places use drop shipping so they never even touch the product.

OK I buy a product mail order that the seller is presumably making a profit on at the asking price. Shipping being a extra I can understand, but what is this "handling" I am paying for? For some fat slob to take his feet off the desk and pull my order? Would they not be there and on the payroll even if didn't make a order? Or am I interupting someone's busy day so they can "handle" my order?

Rant.

I take the cost is just broken down individually so the company does not have to pay the people when there are NO orders. Or at least they can pay them less. No? A way to breakdown costs and track productivity??

I would just think it was figured in the price. Sorry, I never meant to imply you where a fat slob :thumbsup:

Why? That way they can pay the help less when they are sitting around doing nothing. In my line of work, I wish we charged a handling fee per ton or whatever... I would be a billionaire by now! Even know I can sit around a bunch... Heck at least a nickel a boat and I woould be happy!

:thumbsup:

One explanation (which likely isn't true in most cases), is that your buying the order from one entity & another is "handling" the order.

"Large" stuff is often shipped directly from the factory, the retailer never sees/touches the stuff. The retailer marks the price up & their profit is justified w/ overhead associated w/ getting the sale & "handling" the customer. The shipper does the actual "handling" & profits according.

FWIW, wouldn't surprise me if they're companies that specialize in "handling" orders. Let's say you mkt some spiffy "niche product". You only sell "a few on the side". You don't want to make it a part time job handling all these orders &/or can't justifying doing it yourself, so you hire it out.

the price is pretty much the same price you would pay for walking into a store and buying the same item....handling, especially in a fulfillment center, pays for the wages of the line people, and no, they would not be there if you don't buy it...no sales, no line workers...

It can mean different things. Being very underemployed the last 8 months or so, I have taken to selling lots of stuff on Ebay. It is tricky, because nobody wants to pay for shipping. So, if you want to sell stuff, you have to either offer shipping that is free of charge, or under what the actual shipping cost is. On top of that, you then need to buy mailing supplies (over sized envelopes, etc.) To me, that is the handling, though I never charge for it. But, I understand, depending on the situation, what is meant by by a handling charges...

It can mean different things. Being very underemployed the last 8 months or so, I have taken to selling lots of stuff on Ebay. It is tricky, because nobody wants to pay for shipping. So, if you want to sell stuff, you have to either offer shipping that is free of charge, or under what the actual shipping cost is. On top of that, you then need to buy mailing supplies (over sized envelopes, etc.) To me, that is the handling, though I never charge for it. But, I understand, depending on the situation, what is meant by by a handling charges...

So it's what the rest of the world calls overhead which is typically included in the purchase price. What a load of crap. "And you can have it for the low price of______." Plus handling. :thumbsup:

So it's what the rest of the world calls overhead which is typically included in the purchase price. What a load of crap. "And you can have it for the low price of______." Plus handling. :lol:

Do you tip a waiter or waitress when you go out to eat? By your logic, why should you? Shouldn't the entire staffs (cook, waiter,busboy) salary be built into the price of the food? If you went into a resteraunt and looked at the menu, would you buy a cheeseburger that cost $18? Probably not... so, should the resteraunt pay the wait staff a real full. wage, or assume that it will be balanced out by a tip?:lol::P

It's like anything else in this country. Read everything before you buy, if you think the postage & "handling" is too high, don't buy...