WNY takes 2 of top 4 cities

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100319/ap_on_...ro_unemployment

WASHINGTON – Call them the Final Four: The four large cities that have made it through the Great Recession with the smallest increases in unemployment.

Minneapolis, Buffalo, Oklahoma City and Rochester, N.Y., don't have much else in common. But a government report shows they've had the smallest increases in joblessness over the past two years among cities with at least 1 million people.

That's because WNY's been in a recession for 25 years. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was about to say the jobless rate didn't spike here because it was already way higher than the national average. Hard to show an area lost jobs when there weren't many to begin with.

That's because WNY's been in a recession for 25 years. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was about to say the jobless rate didn't spike here because it was already way higher than the national average. Hard to show an area lost jobs when there weren't many to begin with.

If you take the time to read the stories, you'll see the unemployment rates are below the national average.

If you take the time to read the stories, you'll see the unemployment rates are below the national average.

It's still a very poor article because it concentrates on simple statistics. I'd like to know what the "under employment" rates and demographic statistics (private versus public, white versus blue, etc) say.

Buffalo's unemployment rate was 9.2 percent in January. That's high but below the national rate of 9.7 percent. It rose only 2.9 percentage points during the recession.

While the national unemployment rose by over 5% during the same two years. :rolleyes:

Annual Unemployment Rate

Buffalo Metro Area

2006 5.1%

2007 4.9%

2008 6.0%

2009 8.4%

United States

2006 5.1%

2007 4.6%

2008 5.8%

2009 9.3%

Los Angeles Metro Area

2006 4.4%

2007 4.8%

2008 7.0%

2009 11.0%

Las Vegas Metro Area

2006 4.3%

2007 4.7%

2008 6.6%

2009 11.9%

Rochester Metro Area

2006 4.6%

2007 4.6%

2008 5.6%

2009 7.9%

WASHINGTON – Call them the Final Four: The four large cities that have made it through the Great Recession with the smallest increases in unemployment.

Minneapolis, Buffalo, Oklahoma City and Rochester, N.Y., don't have much else in common. But a government report shows they've had the smallest increases in joblessness over the past two years among cities with at least 1 million people.

Um...shouldn't this be cities less then 1 million? January 15 2009 8 of my co-workers were laid off. At least 6 are still unemployed (to be fair, two of them haven't really tried to find anything). Lost track of the other two.