Article on Buffalo (City) from Missouri newspaper

College newspapers. :worthy:

Amusing, then, that two Mizzou J-school alumni -- Sully and Ed Kilgore -- chose to put down their roots in Buffalo. What were they thinking?

And then there is this quote from today's Buffalo News cover story.

Western New York put on its best face for the visitors, who say they're already impressed with what they've seen.

"I don't think I've been any place where everyone has been so friendly," said Brenda Bolfing, who drove from St. Louis with her husband, Charles, to support their Missouri Tigers. "We have felt so welcome."

So I guess we can't be all bad.

What is wrong with this:

9. There are no buffaloes in Buffalo. Only in Africa and Asia.

"Buffalo Bill" Cody wasn't a buffalo-hunter. He was a bison-hunter.

But there aren't any bison in Buffalo, either.

The Buffalo Bills football team still has the nerve to put an outline of a buffalo on its helmet. And what looks like more of a bison – distinguished by a large hump – on its throwback helmet.

There WERE bison around, true a very long time ago.

It looks like the author does not know the historical range for American bison (plains/wood) or that bison are called (true, misnamed) "buffalo":

The Smithsonain Book of North American Mammals

Bison in the SouthEast

Bison Bison

"The American buffalo is really not a buffalo, but a bison. A true buffalo is either an African Cape Buffalo or an Asian Water Buffalo. The American bison's scientific name is Bison bison. Because our history has so ingrained in us the name 'buffalo', we still use it interchangeably with bison. The number of bison in North America in the early part of the 19th Century was incredible! Estimates range from 30 to 200 million with 60 million being the most widely accepted estimate. They were found as far east as the Potomac River and stretched from the Yukon to Florida."

American Bison

"Historically, the American bison had the widest natural range of any North American herbivore, extending all the way from northern Mexico to Alaska, with central Alberta being the dividing line between the plains bison to the south and the wood bison to the north (1). Today, free-roaming bison herds occupy less than one percent of their former range, and are restricted to a few national parks and small wildlife areas."

"Owing to changes in land use and depopulation, the plains bison is no longer migratory (the wood bison never was)."

So yes, there WERE bison (plains) around the WNY region and deep into the southeast. I bet the writer also thinks that big horn sheep/mountain goats only habitat has been mountainous regions. The European's weren't the first humans in North America. :worthy:

The naming of Buffalo? Probaly a mix of stories and misheard words, considering bison were all around.

So do I.

I said... "The europeans were not the first humans in North America."

Also... Like the the bison... Sheep also had a large historical range... Of course they were pushed to farther and farther reaches away from human intervention. Notice I said human intervention. And of course adapted very well.

Too bad the bison couldn't climb rock faces and adapt as well. :worthy:

I said... "The europeans were not the first humans in North America."

Also... Like the the bison... Sheep also had a large historical range... Of course they were pushed to farther and farther reaches away from human intervention. Notice I said human intervention. And of course adapted very well.

Too bad the bison couldn't climb rock faces and adapt as well. :worthy:

So you think there where plains sheep? woods sheep? Swamp sheep? They went to the mountains long before any humans of any sort where in North America. There where predators long before people.

Somewhere in my genealogy/local history collection, there's a book containing a report of a wild bison stampede that killed a mother and child in the early 1800s. The location? What is now Smethport, Pa., roughly two hours due south of Buffalo (and eight miles west of me).

Somewhere in my genealogy/local history collection, there's a book containing a report of a wild bison stampede that killed a mother and child in the early 1800s. The location? What is now Smethport, Pa., roughly two hours due south of Buffalo (and eight miles west of me).

See! Give that gal and attaboy! :blink:

:worthy::flirt: Lori!

No doubt the name BFLO came from various interpretations.

So you think there where plains sheep? woods sheep? Swamp sheep? They went to the mountains long before any humans of any sort where in North America. There where predators long before people.

No... Not saying that at all. Just saying their range was not soley mountains. Of course humans pushed them farther.

No... Not saying that at all. Just saying their range was not soley mountains. Of course humans pushed them farther.

Sheep where always mountain animals. They do not graze in the low meadows in the summer like elk, in fact as the summer go's on they go higher, following the new growth up the mountain. Humans have not really intruded on their habitat much. It's hard to put a farm on a 45 degree rocky slope.

See! Give that gal and attaboy! :blink:

:worthy::flirt: Lori!

No doubt the name BFLO came from various interpretations.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. The name Buffalo came from a corruption of the French phrase beau fleuve, "beautiful river,"

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. The name Buffalo came from a corruption of the French phrase beau fleuve, "beautiful river,"

I never said it didn't. I actually acknowledged that corrruption. :worthy: That is a pretty big skip to the actually spelling of "Buffalo"... Which everybody knew the meaning of.

Just saying, early on... There very much were bison roaming around maybe not the immdiate area at the time of european settlement... Yet, there is alos the native account and that includes the past on what was handed down. Think of it in practical terms and the logical skip to the word Buffalo. Wouldn't the people have thought to themselves: "Why the hell are the French saying: Buffalo?"

I know this is from Wiki, but still:

Name originMost popular accounts hold that the name "Buffalo" is a corruption of the French phrase beau fleuve, "beautiful river," a phrase said to have been exclaimed by French explorers upon seeing the Niagara River. This speculation, however, is contradicted by primary sources. French explorers actually referred to the Niagara River in print as Rivière aux Chevaux, "River of Horses."[10] The earliest name origin theory to appear in print (1825) relates a story about stolen horsemeat being passed off as bison flesh, with the site of the illicit picnic henceforth remembered as "Buffalo," but the author who conveyed this tale expressed his skepticism.[11] What is clear is that there were no bison in the area; that the settlement of Buffalo took its name from Buffalo Creek;[12] and that Buffalo Creek first appeared on a map in 1759–1760.[13] Although the Beau Fleuve theory is the least plausible theory amongst several theories, it is unlikely that Buffalo's true name origin can be conclusively established.

Yet what I am contending is also the corruption of the native account of the area. There were bison in the region.

Sheep where always mountain animals. They do not graze in the low meadows in the summer like elk, in fact as the summer go's on they go higher, following the new growth up the mountain. Humans have not really intruded on their habitat much. It's hard to put a farm on a 45 degree rocky slope.

Not always.

Bighorn sheep occupy many environments at varying latitudes, across many types of ecosystems, including cold coniferous and deciduous forests, alpine meadows, temperate grasslands adjacent to mountain ranges, and warmer, drier desert regions of Southern California, Utah, and Baja California, Mexico (McCutchen, 1995). Bighorn sheep have adapted to many different climates. For example, they practice altitudinal migration between summer and winter to avoid extreme weather, and are able to meet water requirements through the moisture in their food during times of short water supply (Blood, 2000). These kinds of adaptations have allowed bighorn sheep to historically occupy a wide range of ecosystems, as long as there is open space in which to feed, and nearby rocky slopes in which to seek cover (Blood, 2000).

Check out Fig. 2 (Yellow)

There a lot of farms/ranches in that region today.

Did you read the column linked in the original post?

10. According to one unconvincing account, the origin of the name “Buffalo” is a distortion of the French phrase "beau fleuve," meaning beautiful river. It’s said that French explorers shouted these words when they first saw the Niagara River.

That’s an image.

Picture a handful of Frenchmen skipping toward the majestic river shore, throwing their arms up in the air and yelling “beau fleuve!” Buffalo!

9. There are no buffaloes in Buffalo. Only in Africa and Asia.

“Buffalo Bill” Cody wasn’t a buffalo-hunter. He was a bison-hunter.

But there aren’t any bison in Buffalo, either.

The Buffalo Bills football team still has the nerve to put an outline of a buffalo on its helmet. And what looks like more of a bison – distinguished by a large hump – on its throwback helmet.

They’re confused too.