Insight into Bills draft plans?

Thoner7

Not going to win anything if you can't stop the other team. Run defense and pass rush were pathetic last year. I feel those two things need to be fixed right away.

I know a pass rush is more than sacks AND their passing yards allowed number is low because most Bills' opponents ran successfully against, but they did have 32 sacks, which put them at about the mid point of the league. They also allowed the 2nd fewest yards per game.

Therefore, along with this talk of Spiller, I don't see why they should not be trying to fill their biggest need (OL) in the 1st round.

I know a pass rush is more than sacks AND their passing yards allowed number is low because most Bills' opponents ran successfully against, but they did have 32 sacks, which put them at about the mid point of the league. They also allowed the 2nd fewest yards per game.

Therefore, along with this talk of Spiller, I don't see why they should not be trying to fill their biggest need (OL) in the 1st round.

True. The Bills defense was frequently gassed by the fourth quarter of their games, and gave up a lot of rushing yards and scores during those last 15 minutes on the clock. The blame for this rests with the offense's inability to generate more than one or two sustained drives during the game. As so many of us have said here, the O-line has to be the top priority if the team is to improve in the won/lost record. If Ralph really wants to put his money where his mouth is, fill the stands every game and win more often, he needs to trade up to get Okung. That would truly be a move in the right direction.

If we draft Kindle at 9 I'd be upset a little...not that he isn't going to be a GREAT OLB and PERFECT for our defense...I just think OLine is far more important right now...that being said, depending on how the first 8 picks go, I would still be upset, but not at the Bills at the situation lol..I want a star OT so bad it hurts...and a DT in the second or third depending on how they run...COdy in the second if he's there or Joseph in the third

True. The Bills defense was frequently gassed by the fourth quarter of their games, and gave up a lot of rushing yards and scores during those last 15 minutes on the clock. The blame for this rests with the offense's inability to generate more than one or two sustained drives during the game. As so many of us have said here, the O-line has to be the top priority if the team is to improve in the won/lost record. If Ralph really wants to put his money where his mouth is, fill the stands every game and win more often, he needs to trade up to get Okung. That would truly be a move in the right direction.

this is not entirely true

the defense was gassed in the 4th quarter because they continually failed to make stops and get off the field in the 1st 3 quarters.

when your defensive game plan and personnel is designed to let the other team roll up massive yards and time by running the ball - your defense BY DESIGN will be on the field a lot.

Instead of actually trying to win and be aggressive, the Bills team was built and managed to "not lose" by alot

keep it close and hope for miracles

If Ralph really wants to put his money where his mouth is, fill the stands every game and win more often, he needs to trade up to get Okung. That would truly be a move in the right direction.

Sure...Cause this Team has SO much Depth we can give up Picks...Right... :rolleyes:

We had a Pro Bowl LT for 2 Years and still finished 7-9...While I completely agree that The Bills need to upgrade the O-Line I'd MUCH rather see them Scout well, Trade down a few times, grab extra Picks, and fill a whole slew of needs in what is being called the deepest Draft talent-wise in many years... :D

We cant force a QB pick. Just cause we need one doesnt mean there will be one at 9

Thank you. Desparate acts, reach, whatever you want to call it, build a team. Not get a quarterback, get a quarteback, I don't care get a quarterback. If Nix and company think the right man is there then so be it but having to have one right now sounds like a child and instant gratification.

Sure...Cause this Team has SO much Depth we can give up Picks...Right... :rolleyes:

We had a Pro Bowl LT for 2 Years and still finished 7-9...While I completely agree that The Bills need to upgrade the O-Line I'd MUCH rather see them Scout well, Trade down a few times, grab extra Picks, and fill a whole slew of needs in what is being called the deepest Draft talent-wise in many years... :D

Parcells has been known for doing this. Belichick had 4 2nd's last year and yet Buffalo hasn't traded down in the first three rounds since 2001 when NC was their first pick.

The buzz phrases on TBD this offseason have been "build through the draft" and that Nix "can't fill all the needs in one draft."

I've got a feeling they'll got OT-NT in 1 and 2, but only out of sheer need. Just once I wish the Bills could go into the draft and not hae to take someone to fill a need.

We had a Pro Bowl LT for 2 Years and still finished 7-9...While I completely agree that The Bills need to upgrade the O-Line I'd MUCH rather see them Scout well, Trade down a few times, grab extra Picks, and fill a whole slew of needs in what is being called the deepest Draft talent-wise in many years... :P

with such a deep draft,

the bills picked a bad year to go with just 6 scouts and have their top 2 talent evaluators work part time from home.

could be why they have consistently given away picks to grab that "special can't miss" player before they had to rely on their scouting network for teh really crap shoot type of players

McCargo, Losman, POZ Denney have really been worth the extra picks it cost to get them :D

Not going to win anything if you can't stop the other team. Run defense and pass rush were pathetic last year. I feel those two things need to be fixed right away.

but your also not going to win anything if you can't keep your offence on the field and score points. THAT was the biggest problem with the Bills last year, unless you believe that teams in the NFL should be able to win games scoring less then 20 points a game.

I have said it many times before, the defence was good enough (not great, but good enough) to be a playoff team last year, it was the inept offence last year that held them back, and that all started with having no answer at the QB position

but your also not going to win anything if you can't keep your offence on the field and score points. THAT was the biggest problem with the Bills last year, unless you believe that teams in the NFL should be able to win games scoring less then 20 points a game.

I have said it many times before, the defence was good enough (not great, but good enough) to be a playoff team last year, it was the inept offence last year that held them back, and that all started with having no answer at the QB position

If anyone believes it "starts with the QB position" you don't know football...all your "beloved" QB's have good offensive lines and a good running defense...The Bills ran the least amount of plays last season....

So people call TE out...you go three and out every time that's what happens....BULL...we also had the LEAST AMOUNT OF POSSESSION period...that's a DEFENSIVE STAT...if your team can't stop the run, your stud of a QB sits and watched...

So it starts with the QB if you're a news guy trying to bait a bunch of ridiculously uninformed about football, football fans...it's not a coincidence that GOOD coaches will tell you the game is won in the trenches...and fans will tell you different...unless you're DJ and then you believe the game is won by playing PERFECT zone coverage

this is not entirely true

the defense was gassed in the 4th quarter because they continually failed to make stops and get off the field in the 1st 3 quarters.

when your defensive game plan and personnel is designed to let the other team roll up massive yards and time by running the ball - your defense BY DESIGN will be on the field a lot.

Instead of actually trying to win and be aggressive, the Bills team was built and managed to "not lose" by alot

keep it close and hope for miracles

not exactly

The "defensive game plan" you say that they used last year worked fine until the 4th quarter and could have worked for the entire game, IF the offence could sustain drives and kill the clock. The Bills could have had a top 10 or even a top 5 defence last year and the end results still would have been the same because the offence couldn't score points and kill the clock staying on the field. You can't expect to win with the offence they had last year unless the defence can come up with turnovers and score the points themselves. The offence was a complete disaster, and it wasn't all the o-line to blame. You can have the best o-line ever and still be bad if you don't have a good QB to lead the offence.

not exactly

The "defensive game plan" you say that they used last year worked fine until the 4th quarter and could have worked for the entire game, IF the offence could sustain drives and kill the clock. The Bills could have had a top 10 or even a top 5 defence last year and the end results still would have been the same because the offence couldn't score points and kill the clock staying on the field. You can't expect to win with the offence they had last year unless the defence can come up with turnovers and score the points themselves. The offence was a complete disaster, and it wasn't all the o-line to blame. You can have the best o-line ever and still be bad if you don't have a good QB to lead the offence.

We averaged about 4 ypc and could've killed clock...okay that aside...

we still had the least amount of possessions in the league because our Defense was 30th against the run...so lets not pretend having a top five defense would've made NO difference...please that's the dumbest thing I've heard on this thread yet... :thumbsup:

If anyone believes it "starts with the QB position" you don't know football...all your "beloved" QB's have good offensive lines and a good running defense...The Bills ran the least amount of plays last season....

So people call TE out...you go three and out every time that's what happens....BULL...we also had the LEAST AMOUNT OF POSSESSION period...that's a DEFENSIVE STAT...if your team can't stop the run, your stud of a QB sits and watched...

So it starts with the QB if you're a news guy trying to bait a bunch of ridiculously uninformed about football, football fans...it's not a coincidence that GOOD coaches will tell you the game is won in the trenches...and fans will tell you different...unless you're DJ and then you believe the game is won by playing PERFECT zone coverage

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard

Yes a great defence, or a great o-line, or a great coach, etc. can make up for not having a Top tier QB, but a team is less likely to have success if they don't have a good QB. Look at the final 4 last year. 3 teams with top tier QB's (2 are guaranteed 1st ballot HOFers) and one had a young "unknown quantity, still learning" QB whos team was being carried by one of the leagues best defenses. In the last decade, how many teams have made it to the SB without a top QB?

We averaged about 4 ypc and could've killed clock...okay that aside...

we still had the least amount of possessions in the league because our Defense was 30th against the run...so lets not pretend having a top five defense would've made NO difference...please that's the dumbest thing I've heard on this thread yet... :thumbsup:

So who was going to score the points to win the games? When the offence did have the ball and had the chance, they came up flat.

Look at the first 3 quarters of almost every game last year, the Bills defence held them in the games while the offence kept going 3 and out. Sure having the defence come up with a couple more stops a game mayhave given the offence more possessions, but are you seriously telling everyone here that the problem with the offence was that they weren't given enough chances in a game to score? What did you see from the Bills offence last year that would lead you to believe that they could have scored more if only they were given a few more tries? When they had the ball they couldn't do sh*t with it