Insight into Bills draft plans?

Thoner7

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/17/...s-lande-3-17-10

Russ Lande is a former college & NFL scout who now works for the Sporting News and he publishes the draft guide GM Jr every year: http://gmjrnfldraft.com/

If Clausen is available, do you think Buffalo will draft him at #9?

They may be tempted, but if I were them I would go LT in the 1st round, the only QB I would touch early is Bradford and then maybe pick-up a QB later in the draft. I wasn't a big fan of Trent Edwards coming out, but now I think he has the ability and the intelligence, but the guy is a major head case right now. I loved Brian Brohm coming out of college, but so far I've whiffed on that since he already failed with his first team. Buffalo should draft a QB in a late round and then see what Edwards & Brohm do in camp.

What tackles will be available in the 2nd round? What are your thoughts on Saffold?

Saffold looks like a 3rd or 4th round tackle on film, he just doesn't play up to his skills set. If you watch him at the East-West game or at practices he has a great skill set, he his thick, he slides his feet well, he has good handwork but it just doesn't translate on the field for him.

I see Charles Brown from USC available in the 2nd round, but I also possibly see Davis from Rutgers sliding to the 2nd Round and I really think Davis is a SLAM DUNK, he will be this year's Michael Oher. Charles Brown will also be a good tackle in the NFL, but he needs some work. (There were 2 other guys at this chat that recently graded Brown and they both loved him)

Who do you like more Dan Williams or Jared Odrick?

I'm not a big Dan Williams guy so I would go Odrick. Both will probably go in the first round, Odrick is more of a 3-4 DE while Williams is the NT. I have concerns about Williams moving in traffic and Odrick looked like a better athlete than he is at the combine, he worked out really well.

How does Gresham compare to Pettigrew?

Pettigrew is much better, he is a dominant blocker and decent pass catcher where Gresham is an average blocker and good pass catcher who will probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gronkowski is the best TE in this year's draft but there are big concerns about his back holding up.

Why do you have Buffalo taking Sergio Kindle at #9 at the War Room?

I've spoken with scouts and other personnel inside the bills organization and they told me their top priority is front 7 and more specifically, pass rushers. They need pass rushers and don't be surprised when they draft a dominant pass rusher in the first round. Buffalo's future is certainly bright in the scouting department with Nix and Modrak together plus Doug Whaley, this organization has a bright future as long as they figure out their QB situation, they need to find a QB.

What do you think about the DE form GT, Morgan?

He is by far the best DE in the draft, way above the rest. He can play DE in the 4-3 or the 3-4 or he can play rush OLB in the 3-4, great player, by far above the other DE's in the draft.

What are your thoughts on Everson Griffen DE from USC?

I don't like the guy at all and would not draft him period. I would stay away from him all together.

What other TE's do you like?

I like McCoy from USC, Clay Harbor from Missouri State, and the TE from Iowa. There are a number of good TE's this year. Dickerson blew up the combine, probably the best TE combine in many years. Many great TE's this year, I have a super sleeper that I recently graded but I promised the scout that pointed him out to me that I wouldn't mention his name until early April.

*That's all I got folks, I was a few minutes late plus too many questions for me to keep up with typing....I got a bunch of BUF related questions in, I know some of you are down on Russ, but he has his legit contacts around the league and he is respected by many former & current coaches and GMs. (example Dick Vermeil) If what Russ said is true, we can probably expect Kindle, Graham, or Morgan in the 1st round followed by a NT or LT in the 2nd round. Obviously BUF has shown in FA how important upgrading the front 7 is to them so we shall see

It would seem Morgan is high on their list assuming they want pass rushers, this guy is saying he is the bet by far, and he is a Gailey recruit at GT. I cant say I would be angry because the LTs may be gone and we need good value at the pick. We also really need pass rushers - please dont give me the Maybin/Mitchell/Kelsay are going to play OLB crap.

I like the info and would certainly not be upset if their major concern was getting to the QB. I think the most pleasing part of the read is that Bills have a bright future in the scouting department.

This team is a year or two away from really being on the right track so if they have a chance to get the QB they want, get it done.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/17/...s-lande-3-17-10

Russ Lande is a former college & NFL scout who now works for the Sporting News and he publishes the draft guide GM Jr every year: http://gmjrnfldraft.com/

How does Gresham compare to Pettigrew?

Pettigrew is much better, he is a dominant blocker and decent pass catcher where Gresham is an average blocker and good pass catcher who will probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gronkowski is the best TE in this year's draft but there are big concerns about his back holding up.

I don't like the guy at all and would not draft him period. I would stay away from him all together.

What other TE's do you like?

I like McCoy from USC, Clay Harbor from Missouri State, and the TE from Iowa. There are a number of good TE's this year. Dickerson blew up the combine, probably the best TE combine in many years. Many great TE's this year, I have a super sleeper that I recently graded but I promised the scout that pointed him out to me that I wouldn't mention his name until early April.

Thanks for the interesting report!

I'll add some comments about the TE position from B'gal beat reporter Geoff Hobson:

..."Q: Being a Bengals fan in Chicago, I hear a lot of talk about the Bears possibly trading TE Greg Olsen. What are the chances of trading a second-round pick for Olsen and benefiting from his receiving ability? At the very least, Olsen can learn some blocking techniques from Reggie Kelly and demand some attention from opposing pass coverages. --Patrick, Chicago, IL

PATRICK: Good idea. But did you catch what Lewis said at the scouting combine last month?

He went on for a pretty lengthy riff about how you need your tight ends to block in the AFC North and how some of these receiving type tight ends that recently came into the division (read Kellen Winslow Jr.) didn’t work out. I’m not comparing Olsen to Winslow but the fact that the first thing new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz did in free agency is sign a massive blocking tight end in Brandon Manumaleuna gives you some idea of the kind of blocker that Olsen isn’t.

Look, the Bengals’ tight end situation is a mess. The first priority, in my mind, should be re-signing Reggie Kelly. 1-A should be re-signing J.P. Foschi because you don’t know about Kelly’s Achilles. We know Kelly can block and Foschi can, too.

The second priority should be figuring out what to draft, but don’t draft a Chase Coffman clone coming out of a spread offense that can only catch. I’d hate to spend a second-round pick on Olsen and then find out that he can’t get in Terrell Suggs’ way. Unless, of course, you get rid of Coffman and you decide Olsen is your receiving tight end because you know what you got in the veteran. But what are you giving up in Coffman?

Whatever, you just have to make up your mind. And we talked about this with offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski before the scouting combine. Nowadays, you’ve got to find a tight end that can catch and another one that can block. The college spread has killed the tight end that can do both.

If you find yourself saying, “They can teach him to block,” you’re in trouble. Just make him the receiving tight end."...

http://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-online/...93-0e047449a817

Ugh. If that's true, it's like the Bills are trying to be as unwatchable as possible. What, the offense was so great last year that we can afford to sign no significant free agents (no, Cornell Green is not significant), and also go defense at the top of the draft?

Ugh. If that's true, it's like the Bills are trying to be as unwatchable as possible. What, the offense was so great last year that we can afford to sign no significant free agents (no, Cornell Green is not significant), and also go defense at the top of the draft?

Not going to win anything if you can't stop the other team. Run defense and pass rush were pathetic last year. I feel those two things need to be fixed right away.

A better defense gives the offense more time on the field and better field possession. I will never criticize them picking front 7 even if they have a front 7....see Steelers.

So we can have more 3 and outs? or third and a million yds?

While I've always been about picking the best player available, it comes with the caveat that you can't keep drafting DBs (or any position or side of the ball over the other repeatedly) high every year even if they are the best player available, the rest of the team suffers. I'm not saying we should draft anyone on defense, but the OL needs to get fixed we only have 4 WRs on the team and who the hell knows what's going on at QB...We just shouldn't draft Defensive players with our first couple picks...Our D is a helluva lot more solid than the Offense...We hired an Offensive minded coach cause that is what we need...Anyway you look at it we have about a 3 year rebuilding project...You can always scoop up a LB, a DT, a DE in the mid the late first round...it's almost impossible to get a top rated lineman or QB down there...We might as well take advantage of our draft position this year and get some Oline help and if a top rated QB is there, we need to have that discussion as well...

I have seen the comment that Tebow lacks pocket awareness in many articles, well he should be the perfect guy for us then...We haven't had a pocket in a looooong time....

We cant force a QB pick. Just cause we need one doesnt mean there will be one at 9

We need an LT, but if Bulaga and Okung are gone, I dont want Williams/Davis/Campbell.

Id we ok with taking the best pass rusher. We didnt address that need last because Maybin doesnt count. With Davis and Poz inside our need is at OLB moreso than ILB. Besides if a guy like spikes is going to be there in the 2nd/3rd range thats great value.

BPA!

We cant force a QB pick. Just cause we need one doesnt mean there will be one at 9

BPA!

Well put. At the end of the day, we have to trust that Buddy knows what he is doing and go with it. Our QB could come in late rounds, already be on our roster or off someone's present roster (See Seattle/San Diego) and all I can say is hang on, the ride should be fun.

We need an LT, but if Bulaga and Okung are gone, I dont want Williams/Davis/Campbell.

Id we ok with taking the best pass rusher. We didnt address that need last because Maybin doesnt count. With Davis and Poz inside our need is at OLB moreso than ILB. Besides if a guy like spikes is going to be there in the 2nd/3rd range thats great value.

BPA!

I really do think Bulaga and Okung are gone by the time we pick. I'm not high on Campbell/Davis at #9 but wouldn't mind Williams.

Question is will an OT drop to us in the 2nd? Staffold? Brown? Davis? That's the gamble I think...we have to go OT in one of the first two rounds or it's going to be another year of Bell trying to fill Peters' shoes.

BPA!

I'd love to know how Maybin doesn't count? They spent their most premium draft pick on a pass rusher. Saying the guy was a disappointment in year one is fair. Saying he "doesn't count" is a little foolish.

Why do you have Buffalo taking Sergio Kindle at #9 at the War Room?

I've spoken with scouts and other personnel inside the bills organization and they told me their top priority is front 7 and more specifically, pass rushers. They need pass rushers and don't be surprised when they draft a dominant pass rusher in the first round. Buffalo's future is certainly bright in the scouting department with Nix and Modrak together plus Doug Whaley, this organization has a bright future as long as they figure out their QB situation, they need to find a QB.

I am okay with the Bills getting a real, start-me-now pass rusher with their #1 or #2 pick.....as long as they shore up the left side of the OL and come up with a NFL caliber starting QB. Lord knows they haven't been able to make opposing QB's sweat in about forever.

The stars seem to be aligning over the head of Derrick Morgan, y'all.

"Best pure DE in the draft, can also play OLB."

Sounds like Orakpo last year.

Question is: does Morgan warrant a ninth?

If not: do we trade back into the first and bundle later round picks?

I'd love to know how Maybin doesn't count? They spent their most premium draft pick on a pass rusher. Saying the guy was a disappointment in year one is fair. Saying he "doesn't count" is a little foolish.

He doesnt count because we have new coaches and FO whom I am 10000000% positive arent going to give him the benifit of the doubt - ie "we need to play his cause he was our first round pick" He will spend this whole season on the bench unless we have some injuries/suspensions/etc forcing him to play, which is ironic, because thats the only reason he ever played at Penn St :rolleyes:

Trent Williams at #9 or trade down. and before some morons start, McClain isn't a pass rusher. We have our two ILB's now.

Andra Davis is a slow over the hill warm body that nobody wanted and Poz needs someone to take the heat off of him. McClain and Cody/Odrick, if drafted one- two would be the top two defenders in the front seven by week seven. Trent Williams is more athlete than player. And yes I have watched him at LT and he was not very physical. Maybe going back to RT would be helpful. Doesn't matter. I think Derrick Morgan will be the pick.

Nice info.

If I were the bills, I would have a different approach though. My focus would be on stopping the run or improving the offense. Improving the pass rush is ALWAYS a priority, but with our secondary and the addition of Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis, our front 7 is improved. We Definitely need better pass rushers, as MAybin, mitchell, Kelsey aren't the best group, but you CANT tell me they are worse than what we have at LT, WR and QB right now. You just can't. Our offense has had one good year in the last 10. It should be our priority.