Clark Judge write-up on CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1307324...ots-of-help/rss

In depth look at every position on the team, and the coaching staff. Some quick quotes:

"QB: When you have three quarterbacks and haven't named a starter by now it tells me you really don't have a starting quarterback."

"Left tackle Demetrius Bell has the brightest future, with Bills' coaches convinced he could be better than his predecessor, Jason Peters. Bell is young, raw and developing. Look for major improvement this season."

"The Bills' personnel isn't exactly suited to the new defense, but so what? Buffalo couldn't stop the run in the 4-3, so why not give something else a shot? "

"Posluszny is the team's leading tackler and a favorite of Bills fans. In another city, with another team, he could be a big-time star. But the Bills will have to do something other than finish last in the AFC East for him to gain the recognition he deserves. "

"There are few teams with secondaries as deep as the Bills."

In depth look at every position on the team, and the coaching staff. Some quick quotes:

"QB: When you have three quarterbacks and haven't named a starter by now it tells me you really don't have a starting quarterback."

"Left tackle Demetrius Bell has the brightest future, with Bills' coaches convinced he could be better than his predecessor, Jason Peters. Bell is young, raw and developing. Look for major improvement this season."

"The Bills' personnel isn't exactly suited to the new defense, but so what? Buffalo couldn't stop the run in the 4-3, so why not give something else a shot? "

"Posluszny is the team's leading tackler and a favorite of Bills fans. In another city, with another team, he could be a big-time star. But the Bills will have to do something other than finish last in the AFC East for him to gain the recognition he deserves. "

Fool me once... :thumbdown:

There are so many things wrong with that paragraph I don't even know where to begin.

Fool me once... :thumbdown:

If you were fooled into thinking a guy who was practically a rookie was going to come in and be great right off the bat, you could be fooled again. That said, Bell deserves some time and I think he is going to get it.

gee, it's March and the Bills don't know who their starting QB is, with a new coaching staff and revamped FO. We're doomed!

I don't think the article is saying the Bills are doomed. Rather, he is simply saying that we do not have a legit starting QB on the roster. Who disagrees with that?

I don't think the article is saying the Bills are doomed. Rather, he is simply saying that we do not have a legit starting QB on the roster. Who disagrees with that?

I was being sarcastic, but stand by my opinion. To say we don't have a starting QB before the draft and 1st OTA have begun, is silly. I expect better from Clark Judge. If we were in late July, he'd have a point.

Bottom line, the article is really high-quality. He understands even the backups on the team and even gets how things all fit together.

But perfection is ever-elusive, and there are three real problems with Judge's take. First, the Bills sold him a bill of goods on Demetrius Bell. "Bell is young, raw and developing." OK, that is definitely possible. "Look for major improvement this season." I'm sorry, did he say "this season"? He did, and that shows he didn't watch the tape, he didn't check profootballfocus, footballoutsiders or anywhere else for OL evaluation. "... Bills' coaches convinced he could be better than his predecessor, Jason Peters." Man, whoever you spoke to wrapped you right around their little finger, Mr. Judge. If the Bills coaches actually thought that, they would have jobs at mediocre high schools.

He's also wrong on Poz. "In another city, with another team, he could be a big-time star. But the Bills will have to do something other than finish last in the AFC East for him to gain the recognition he deserves." Not so much. The Bills were absolutely terrible when Takeo Spikes got here too, but he somehow got recognition. Poz isn't a bigtime star because he has played like an above-average LB, he's been injured, but he simply hasn't been a difference-maker. Yet. It could happen, particularly if the 3 - 4 transition works out, but he's not famous because he doesn't deserve it yet.

Judge is also a little confused about who will play what this year at LB, but frankly, so are we all. Judge says "Kelsay could also rotate inside, switching places with Kawika Mitchell, but look more for Mitchell inside where he or newly-acquired Andra Davis will team with Paul Posluszny." That's about like the guy who said "the next flip of the coin is likely to come up tails unless things work the other way, in which case you can pretty much count on it coming up heads." Hunh?

But that one's fair enough, getting Andra Davis made things even more confused than they already are. Here are some of our LBs next year, as seen right now: Maybin, Kelsay, Draft, Ellison, Schobel. So, who plays, and where? No way to know, really.

Good article! Though those three points up above sailed right over his head, the rest had a lot of meat and was intelligent and well thought-out.

not a very accurate write-up...

The same is true at safety, where Byrd is locked in at free safety and Whitner is a natural strong safety, a sure tackler and adept in the box. George Wilson, a converted wide receiver who plays in nickel packages, is a suitable backup who has better hands than Whitner, but it's Whitner who holds the secondary together. He's smart. He's experienced. He rarely is caught out of position. And he's versatile, playing both safety spots, cornerback and taking a turn once at linebacker. There are few teams with secondaries as deep as the Bills.

not a very accurate write-up...

The same is true at safety, where Byrd is locked in at free safety and Whitner is a natural strong safety, a sure tackler and adept in the box. George Wilson, a converted wide receiver who plays in nickel packages, is a suitable backup who has better hands than Whitner, but it's Whitner who holds the secondary together. He's smart. He's experienced. He rarely is caught out of position. And he's versatile, playing both safety spots, cornerback and taking a turn once at linebacker. There are few teams with secondaries as deep as the Bills.

Lil Donte was obviously his source for the story. :thumbdown:

I was being sarcastic, but stand by my opinion. To say we don't have a starting QB before the draft and 1st OTA has begun, is silly. I expect better from Clark Judge. If we were in late July, he'd have a point.

Any team with a decent QB knows who their starter is right now, new coach or not.

Lil Donte was obviously his source for the story. :thumbdown:

haha

Any team with a decent QB knows who their starter is right now, new coach or not.

Welll, Yeah, duh. the key phrase is "decent qb." We don't have one. When you don't have a decent QB, you wait till training camp to decide who to start. Coaches don't pick a starting QB when none of them are worth it and we could be either drafting one or signing a new one. That is how it is in any position. If you don't have a bonifide starter, it is open competition in training camp.

Fool me once... :w00t:

Geez, cut the guy a little slack. He's been injured. The buck stops at the end of this year for him, injuries or not.

There are so many things wrong with that paragraph I don't even know where to begin.

I think the Poz thing is a fairly accurate writeup. I have no idea why so many people here are hating on Poz.