Whip Count: thehill.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there are about 5 people that are on the No or leaning no list that I believe could easily change. Arcuri from NY, Kucinich tomorrow I believe may change his vote, Guiterrez from Ill, Berry and Costello are the ones who I believe are most vulnerable.

That would be 32 no votes according to THE HILL minus my 5.

Out of the Undecided, there would have to be 6 to vote no to kill the bill, assuming of course that all GOP members stay disciplined with their no votes.

Jason Altmire is really starting to sound like a no vote, BIshop Jr., Boccieri, Cuellar, Dahlkemper, Ellsworth, Gordon, Hill, Kind, Kosmas, Markey, Murphey (getting leaned on heavy from Obama),Nye, Pomeroy, Tanner and Titus are the most likely that could vote no.

6 out of these would need to go the no column.

Just to get an idea of how intense things are right now, check out this article.

Heavy pressure.

This is no way to enact such revolutionary legislation, even if it were to pass. The ramifications in people's perception of government, and in turn how future relationships in DC will play out as a result of this 3,000 page monstrosity will be very serious and could take a generation to heal.

The healthcare bill may as well take the Pyrrhic moniker as the subtitle.

Looks like that little trip on Air Force One was enough for Kucinich, a "firm no," to change his mind. Announcing his decision at 10 a.m. tomorrow, and he wouldn't be holding a press conference to tell people he's still no.

It's good to be king, Barry.

Looks like that little trip on Air Force One was enough for Kucinich, a "firm no," to change his mind. Announcing his decision at 10 a.m. tomorrow, and he wouldn't be holding a press conference to tell people he's still no.

I never truly believed he was going to be a no vote.

Kucinich caves as we expected.

Next up, Gutierrez. Like Immigration is going to really stop him from voting for this.

I believe there are about 5 people that are on the No or leaning no list that I believe could easily change. Arcuri from NY, Kucinich tomorrow I believe may change his vote, Guiterrez from Ill, Berry and Costello are the ones who I believe are most vulnerable.

That would be 32 no votes according to THE HILL minus my 5.

Out of the Undecided, there would have to be 6 to vote no to kill the bill, assuming of course that all GOP members stay disciplined with their no votes.

Jason Altmire is really starting to sound like a no vote, BIshop Jr., Boccieri, Cuellar, Dahlkemper, Ellsworth, Gordon, Hill, Kind, Kosmas, Markey, Murphey (getting leaned on heavy from Obama),Nye, Pomeroy, Tanner and Titus are the most likely that could vote no.

6 out of these would need to go the no column.

Just to get an idea of how intense things are right now, check out this article.

Heavy pressure.

Looks like Bart Gordon is going to vote for it, so I can scratch that off the list

It's going to pass. Bet the farm.

Two weeks ago, Blue Cross sent us our 25% premium increase. What assinine timing.

Insurers are getting their rate increases in before the legislation caps them.

Funny thing is, with the increase front-loaded like this, you can expect the rate increases going forward to be smaller, then everyone can point to the legislation and say "See? It worked!" Yeah...because it forced the insurers to gouge us BEFORE you passed the legislation, morons. :thumbdown: I'd expect the insurance industry to make record profit margins this year, too, since they're trying to get as much cash as possible before the impending government ass-!@#$ing.

And in the meantime, the increasing cost of health care goes completely unaddressed...but hey, at least we demonized corporations, so everything's good.

It's going to pass. Bet the farm.

Two weeks ago, Blue Cross sent us our 25% premium increase. What assinine timing.

You're right, it was terrible timing. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they did it, they should of just held off. :thumbdown:

The reasons they gave were justified, but the timing was absolutely moronic. Although, maybe it was calculated, maybe they figured they were going to be gaining lots of new customers and at the end of the day there is hardly anything in the Bill that will effect how they do business other than having to carry and not deny people with pre existing conditions, which the costs get passed down to the younger, healthier people.

Insurers are getting their rate increases in before the legislation caps them.

Funny thing is, with the increase front-loaded like this, you can expect the rate increases going forward to be smaller, then everyone can point to the legislation and say "See? It worked!" Yeah...because it forced the insurers to gouge us BEFORE you passed the legislation, morons. :thumbdown: I'd expect the insurance industry to make record profit margins this year, too, since they're trying to get as much cash as possible before the impending government ass-!@#$ing.

And in the meantime, the increasing cost of health care goes completely unaddressed...but hey, at least we demonized corporations, so everything's good.

I don't see this as front loaded. We've gotten hit with a rate increase of 10-20% every year for the last 7...this year is no different. I just question the timing as idiotic. If anything, it pushed people into the Obamacare camp. It didn't do a lot to make me feel great about Blue Cross, that's for sure.

Interesting interview with Stupak today with Fox's most awesomest MILF link here. He says the Stupak 12 are solid, and reports that they're "peeling off" are based on mistakes on who makes up his group. May not be enough to stop anything, but I at the very least I can look forward to finding out who is who in this whole mess, especially now that Conyer says he'll have the votes for Saturday.

And it looks like the WH is unable to flip Jerry Costello, who was a yes on the House bill.

But who knows any more.

Interesting interview with Stupak today with Fox's most awesomest MILF link here. He says the Stupak 12 are solid, and reports that they're "peeling off" are based on mistakes on who makes up his group. May not be enough to stop anything, but I at the very least I can look forward to finding out who is who in this whole mess, especially now that Conyer says he'll have the votes for Saturday.

And it looks like the WH is unable to flip Jerry Costello, who was a yes on the House bill.

But who knows anyhttp://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34571.html more.

If stupak really has 10 or 11 members who previously voted yes that wil stay loyal to their pro life convictions then I don't believe the bill passes. And in regards to Costello, he appears to be staying strong, I wonder how long he can last. he's on my list of 5 that could switch from no to yes, so far Kucinich lived up to the billing, I still believe Costello will as well.

Oh, and another point, regarding the CBO conversation we had the other day.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34571.html

CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf told House Appropriations Legislative subcommittee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) that his staff has been working “100-hour weeks” and cannot keep up with the budgetary and economic impact queries lawmakers have about health care.

“Analysis of competing health care proposals absorbed a huge share of the agency’s resources, and CBO analysts in that area have worked flat out for more than a year,” Elmendorf said today. “…Considerable congressional interest in analysis of health care issues is likely to persist and …the almost round-the-clock schedule maintained this past year by CBO’s current staff cannot be maintained much longer.”

The CBO is under immense pressure from Congress to release the cost estimate of the reconciliation bill for the House legislation. Some lawmakers expect a vote over the weekend.

The budget office is responsible for providing Congress nonpartisan analysis and cost estimates for legislation, but the CBO has been in the limelight in a much greater way as Democrats desperately try to keep the cost of the health care bill in check.

But the CBO admits that the quantity of analysis hasn’t been enough to meet the needs of Congress.

Wasserman Schultz said she was concerned that Elemendorf’s office had recently sent a scored legislative summary to a House office that later needed to be significantly amended.

Wasserman Schultz’s aides wouldn’t specify where the error occurred, but one aide said that the cost estimate differences were “significant.”

It doesn't surprise me one bit that the differences were "significant". The Senate Bill cost $850 B, Obamas plan is to expand the size of subsidies, close the prescription donut hole, provide assistance to that as the medicare cornhusker deal, except in this case for all the states oh and one of the main funding sources they had, you know the excise tax, which according to Peter Orzag was in their view the best mechanism to reduce overall spending on health care, WAS GUTTED for the Unions.

So it is no wonder that they are having troubles with the bill. My guess is when they do announce it, they will have to either increase taxes more on the upper income earners or reduce subsidies. OR they could do more accounting gimmikry and offer only 5 years of subsidies and 10 years of tax revenues.

In any case, it's all a sham.

In any case, it's all a sham.

Why do they need to torture the poor people for a year to com eup with numbers than anyone who can add recognizes - this bill will not save a penny because it does absolutely nothing to adress the actual cost of providing medical care.

Why do they need to torture the poor people for a year to com eup with numbers than anyone who can add recognizes - this bill will not save a penny because it does absolutely nothing to adress the actual cost of providing medical care.

Because people are dying. Millions of people. Dying. Every day. Because they don't have health insurance.

Every. Day.

Because people are dying. Millions of people. Dying. Every day. Because they don't have health insurance.

Every. Day.

Did you see Obama's interview today on FOX? anytime he had a tough question he would then pivot to "The American people are suffering and losing their homes because of soaring premiums". He's got it down pat, but I have to say, all this is is just a recognition of the problem, his bill DOESN"T ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.

Btw, he gets pretty testy when he doesn't get his way.

Did you see Obama's interview today on FOX? anytime he had a tough question he would then pivot to "The American people are suffering and losing their homes because of soaring premiums". He's got it down pat, but I have to say, all this is is just a recognition of the problem, his bill DOESN"T ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.

I've heard clips, and heard Baird comment that it was a little more combative than is typical to his style, but it was interesting how Baird said he couldn't get Obama nailed down to really answer virtually any question.

You can't confuse Obama with the facts, his mind is made up.